THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    How Downloadable is the 416 Rigby?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Downloadable is the 416 Rigby? Login/Join

one of us
posted
To what extent is the .416 Rigby downloadable? It seems like you can't go but so low with that cavernous case.

Any experience with this?

Posts: 358 | Registered: 15 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Using XMP5744, you can load 50 grains behind a 350gn cast bullet for 2000fps, w/o a filler.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
What type of velocity with what type/weight of bullet are you trying to acheive? I shoot cast lead 350 grain bullets at around 1800 fps. Some of the reloading manuals show loads for 400 grain bullets at less than 2300 fps.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Loading one to 2350 fps is already a download! This is a big case. A Taylor would be better if a regular diet of sub-loads was desired.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
Loading one to 2350 fps is already a download! This is a big case.

and I agree.. with todays' powders, it's HARD to stay under 2400/400gr and have a reasonablely full case

http://www.wwpowder.com/data/rifle/416rig.php

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoops, I never responded - so solly.

What I really want is a 404 Jeffery but 416 Rigby's are easier to come by. It sounds like the two are distint enough that the one's the one and the other's the other.

I guess the squirrils around here will be safe for a while longer.

Posts: 358 | Registered: 15 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Look at the 47 Lyman and see cast bullets do 1200 fps!

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote