New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 BMg bullets Login/Join

one of us
posted
For the 50 shooters out there.
Without starting the usual debate about ethical practices etc, what bullets could someone load into a 50 BMG for hunting.
Hunting what at what ranges? Who knows.Basically what comes closest to an expanding softpoint in this calibre if someone did want to hunt with it? eg 647 FMJ's with filed down tips. The A-max(what indeed is it made of?)

Karl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Filing down the tips would work perfectly. Cut off until you have a nice big flat point and it would hit super-hard.
Hawk makes conventional pointed soft points. If you don't mind going fast you could use normal .50 cal hunting bullets. 600 grains.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out Arizona ammo they carry 600gr barnes X for the 50 cal shooter/hunter
www.azammo.com good luck RNS

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Chris Long>
posted
Filing the tips down on FMJ bullets is not a good idea. FMJ bullets are not truely "Full Metal." Remember that the base of the FMJ bullet is nearly always open. (Conversely, HP and SP bullets have solid bases and open/exposed points.) With a filed tip, your FMJ bullet is now a gilding metal/mild steel tube with a lead filling. While there may be no problem initially, eventually a bullet will shed its jacket in the bore while the lead slug continues down range. I'll leave the description of the effects of the next shot fired to your imagination.

Chris

<BMG>
posted
Perfectly acceptable BMG bullets for hunting are:
1) 750gr A-Max
2) 600gr Barnes X
3) Barnes Original
4) Woodleigh soft points
5) Hawk bullets
6) .512 Hardcast bullets
7) Others from various suppliers

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the 570 gr. Barnes XLC bullet. That one would be my first choice for a hunting bullet in the 50 BMG. I only use mine for target shooting though so I have not tried any hunting type bullets, but the XLC looks mighty nice. Too bad they quit making that bullet in standard X, or at least it's not listed any more in their catalog.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I use mine on Ground squirrels from 100-500yrds with Amax's and 220 grs of H50BMG. For deer, 200-300 yrds I use a 550 gr paper patched 1-10 tin/lead bullet from a Hoch PP mold over about 170 grs of that powder and a dacron filler to the top of the case. Results are incredible.

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote