Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Thumper Login/Join

<Hubie>
posted
I assuredly a .45-70 on a Siamese Mauser action that is beginning to lose it's charm, and was wondering about the possibilities of something a bit more.. ahh.. 'interesting'? Note that this would be a sheer ego/fun thing, as chance of me ever going to Africa, or hunting Kodiak grizzes is just about the same odds of winning the lottery. Cost would most assuredly be a factor... Suggestions/ideas appreciated.

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Well, the cheapest "heavy" of any quality that I know of right now would be a .416 Rigby from CZ @ around $610. You would need to put a health pad on it and I, for one, don't much care for the open V sights but then, maybe your eyes are younger than mine. A couple of the lads on these fora have them and are quite taken with them right out of the box. (I'm never happy with anything right out of the box!) Personally, I'd just plain have to do all kinds of twiddling with it especially where that horrid stock is concerned. Even after I reshaped my 602 and took it to Africa I still wasn't happy but then I are a krank!

Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Would a 458 WinMag case feed in that thing or is it "forever rimmed"? I've never played with a Siamese Mauser.

I think you can get 3 inch long "45 basic" brass, so going to a max-length 45 rimmed seems a fairly obvious way to go. What's the magazine length on the thing?

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Oldsarge on the CZ and 416 Rigby. Maybe the stock is OK because the Australians that have then seem to have no problem

You could probably make a more logical argument for the 458 with all those 45/70 quick expanding bullets being available and countless bullets moulds etc. etc. but the 416 Rigby sure has a lot more pizzaz than the 458.

I would also factor in the Model 70 Stainless in 375 H&H. The right rifle and caliber all together in one package and a low price. In fact I think either the 375 in M70 or 416 Rigby in CZ are about the choices.

Of course if you get a 375, then you can sell off any of the other "junk" that you might own such as 30/06 or 338 and the be able to have a 416 Rigby as well.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Hubie>
posted
OldSarge, Mike375-I'm sorry my post was not clear at all. What I meant to ask, was what are practical conversion of this rifle.

quote:
Originally posted by Don G:
Would a 458 WinMag case feed in that thing or is it "forever rimmed"? I've never played with a Siamese Mauser.

I think you can get 3 inch long "45 basic" brass, so going to a max-length 45 rimmed seems a fairly obvious way to go. What's the magazine length on the thing?

Don

As for "forever rimmed", I suspect so, although it might be made to feed belted cartridges well. The box is "slanted" forward, from bottom to top, as well as rear to front. Length, unaltered, is about 3.125... This is one of the questions in my mind-is a belted cartridge practical in this action, or something on the Jeffrey case. Don't know the headsize of the Jeffrey.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The original chambering for the siamese mauser was a rimmed 8mm cartridge. My guess would be to stick with big and rimmed.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Hubie,

The 500 Jeffery has a rim diameter of .580" and the case itself is .619". I agree with the previous posts that you will be better off with a rimmed case. Might I suggest a wildcat based off of the 348 Winchester. Another potential and "fun" choice may be the 500 Alaska.

Todd E

<Hubie>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Todd E:
Hubie,

The 500 Jeffery has a rim diameter of .580" and the case itself is .619". I agree with the previous posts that you will be better off with a rimmed case. Might I suggest a wildcat based off of the 348 Winchester. Another potential and "fun" choice may be the 500 Alaska.

Todd E

I'm familiar with a few of the .348 wildcats, but what is a 500 Alaska. That sounds interesting...

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Yeah, yeah, the 50 Alaskan. The original Alaskan was the 450, and it was created by necking up and blowing out the .348 case. The inventor was happy with its performance, but then someone came by his shop and gave him a mil surp 50 bmg barrel. Since he was the type of fellow that liked to experiment, he created a new lever gun round by blowing the .348 case straight, hence the 50 Alaskan. Original loads pushed a 450 gr bullet formed by cutting bmg projectiles off, and using the former boat tail as the nose 2000 fps. The originator never recovered a bullet in the 1/2 dozen odd grizzlyies he shot with it.

The good news is Starline makes factory brass, so the money you used to have to dish out for form dies can go to getting 250 factory formed and stamped cases.

Since the siamese is a rimmed case action, I would go with the 50 Alaskan over the 500 Jeffrey.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe he was referring to the 50 Alaskan which is based on the 348 Winchester case blown out to 50 caliber. Great round in leveractions and quite popular in Alaska along with the 450 Alaskan. I've got the ballistics info around here somewhere. It's all the power you want in a leveraction. You might say it's like putting 10 pounds of manure in an 8 pound sack.

[This message has been edited by yukon delta (edited 08-14-2001).]

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Patrick>
posted
Hubie, just a thought. The rifle you have may have more value just the way it is. I understand these conversions are getting a little scarce. I've had many rifles over the years that lost their charm, only to find it again a few years later or after I read of someone elses infatuation for them. The other place to search for rimmed alternatives would be a copy of "Cartridges of the World".
good shooting

<Hubie>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick:
Hubie, just a thought. The rifle you have may have more value just the way it is.

You know, Patrick, you may be entirely correct. After starting this thread, I got to looking at the rifle, and asking, "what is it about this I don't like?" and realized it was the stock! I stocked it with a rather uninspiring blank picked up at a gunshow years ago. Maybe all it needs is some new furniture!

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Hubie,
I would suggest looking at: www.gunstocks.com
In the "bargain stocks" you will find listings for the Siamese in both regular and mannlicher length stocks. Or you can choose the level of wood quality that you want to afford and have them make one for you.

On the other hand there is nothing wrong with getting a stockmaker to make one just for you and your rifle.

On the other, other hand there is nothing wrong with replacing the magazine and barrel and starting over with another cartridge.

Then you can consider that if you are tired of the larger caliber, you can re-barrel for one of the wildcats based on the 30-40 Krag. Ackley suggests the .25 Krag Improved as a terrific deer and varmint cartridge. Three of my Siamese are chambered for the various wildcats on the 30-40 case.

It's all choices!

Bill