THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Source for M-70 Mag box for .458 Lott?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source for M-70 Mag box for .458 Lott? Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm gathering up the parts to convert a Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 to .458 Lott. (I'm a lefty, hence the weird starting point.) I assume I need to buy a new magazine box, and I'd like one that holds as many rounds as possible.

Anyone have suggestions as to where I can find such a beast?

Also, what follower will I need?

And while I know about the bolt and bridge machining that will have to be done, there's undoubtedly things I don't know about. If anyone feels like commenting on the conversion process (or the feasibility of the conversion), please do so.

Thanks a lott!

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here Goes:

You can buy a box from Brownells or Gun parts. You need the 375H&H/416 Rem box and the follower. Or you can take the spacer out of the rear of a long magazine box, tig weld the rear, and if the lips are bent, straighten them out. You also need to either shorten the ejector and bolt stop or buy the ones for the 375/416. Some work on the feed ramp, it needs to be a broad U shape. Plus a little widening of the rails in the front 1/2, and the rear of the magazine box opening, in the receiver, just above the magazine, needs a good radius so the case rim will not hang up when you are charging the magazine. Mill the ejection port, on the rear bridge, rearward 3/8". Then drill and tap another scope base hole, as one goes away when you mill the bridge. Use a 1/2" dia. end mill, carbide gives the smoothest finish. I drill and tap all scope base holes out to 8-40. The 8-40 screws also hold a rear apeture sight much more securly than the tiny 6-48's.

The action in the photo was a 300 Win. It's a post 64 Classic, which is better for the conversion than a pre 64. Note that all work is much easier if the barrel is out of the reciever. And you need to make a receiver holding fixture, so you may hold the reciever in the proper position for milling. The one in the photo is made from a piece of 1"x4" steel bar stock. Note the mist coolant system nozzle, it really helps to give a fine finish and makes those expensive end mills last a long time.

For a real touch of class, and more capacity, install a Ted Blackburn hinged floorplate dropped box and throw the M70 two piece floorplate and stamped magazine box away.

Give me an email if you need more info.

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

My Warden sometimes allows me to respond to email. NEW Address is rifles@earthlink.net

***********Jail Flash*******
Web site under construction: http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

[This message has been edited by John Ricks (edited 01-08-2002).]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Isn't it fun to listen to people that really know what they are talking about!

Thank you Mr. Ricks!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
You have to give Mr. Ricks credit for giving such a detailed answer. Since I'm not a craftsman, much less a machinist, I would have to send him the rifle.

It would be simpler and cheaper to buy a CZ 550 Magnum, unless you just want to play.

And some would cringe at the thought of converting a pre-64 Model 70. The story I heard was that John Olin lost money on every one, due to so much hand fitting. But his love of hunting and profit from other business venture allowed that.

It's not surprising then that the Mod. 70 as we loved it went away when he passed on.

Posts: 19321 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you use a Ted Blackburn extra deep box, you can hold 4 down plus 1 in the chamber. But that will require discarding that unsightly factory Winchester stock and getting something nice looking.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here Here!! on the stock. And have enough drop and cast off in the stock so you may see the iron sights!!

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions and detailed info, Mr. Rick. It definitely sounds like I'm headed in the right direction.

Anybody know prices and sources for the Ted Blackburn drop box? I can't seem to find them anywhere on the web, and I'm not sure how to contact him/them otherwise.

Will: while I'm sure this isn't the cheapest approach, the CZ guns don't come in a left-handed flavor. So I'm sort of stuck if I want CRF (and I do).

This is certainly THE place to ask these sorts of questions. Thanks, everybody.

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted