THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    RE-Update on the 550 Gibbs Magnum

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RE-Update on the 550 Gibbs Magnum Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wayne Doudna sent me a handful of his .550" bullets, what he had left from filling an order for Neal Shirley. They are the two groove 715gr versions. All I can say is WOW!! I am waiting for is the Wickliffe 76 action back from the stocker, and the barrel from Steve at Bauska Barrels and I can be shooting it a week later.

Rich
DRSS
550 Gibbs designer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Great news, Rich!!!

I talked to steve 2 weeks ago... recall I sent him a check BEFORE thanksgivings...

"ah, couple weeks"...

waiting, and waiting.....

The 715s are wicked on jugs!!

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah, a week ago Saturday; "...should ship by the end of the week...". I'm not complaining, Steve just has a tremendous workload there. My hope is that the UPS fairy will bring two packages the same day, one with a barrel, and the other with the stocked 76 action. My gunsmith thinks this is really a cool deal, and has promised to start fitting the barrel and chambering it on the spot.

Rich
DRSS
Go Big, or stay home!!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LutzM
posted Hide Post
Hallo,

if needed the .505" Caviator can be made available.

LutzM

Posts: 95 | Location: Europe | Registered: 21 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks LutzM,

this particular case is the 505 Gibbs necked up to .550" caliber. It would be too much to ask for them to be available in 55 caliber.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of LutzM
posted Hide Post
Hallo Rich,

Custom bullets can be made at any Time.

Caveat! Not just 5 or 10 Pieces, but at least 300 Units. For those Bullets bigger than 9,5 mm diameter, the Price is nothing to cough at, 600 €. For that, I will give Advise and do full Simulation including Load suggestions with suitable Powders (Alliant Reloader preferred), add Exterior Ballistics if needed (not needed on 25 to 50 m for big Game) and calculate Penetration in Meat and Bone, you can rely upon.

A course Stability guess for the Bullet in Air is included, but not too precise. With some Margin for Error the Result will most likely be a stable Bullet. Precise Stability Calculations take way too much Effort and are costly beyond Your Expectation. Rheinmetall asks 20.K € per single Answer. I am no cheaper.

Stability in Meat is another Story, but given not too exotic (not to plain say “dumbâ€) Requirements (think “Impalaâ€).

Such Bullet is a bit too long, for the Diameter.

This Bullet is perfectly stable

And this almost nothing can disturb.

If You want to have Look a Testing, look Watertanktest (Movie includes)

To be able to do develop a Bullet, I model the Cartridge and Chamber in a CAD-System and look for the right fit. Dimensions are taken from SAAMI or CIP Standards.

Unfortunately Magazine dimensions are not standardized. Some Magazines do not take full size Cartridges. Some Rifles do not feed full size Cartridges. As good Practice free Magazine length should be measured and communicated, the Bullets (if flat nosed) should still gave round Edges. To feed well, also all Bullets should in the Front (if flat nosed) be slightly undersized.

Penetration and Wounding depend on each other. The Relation depends on how much kinetic Energy those Bullets dispatch per Centimeter. Strong Energy transfer “eats†Penetration. Deep Penetration “eats†Energy transfer i. e.Wounding.

The Picture become complicated, when fragmenting or deforming Bullets are required. Both can be built. If Performance must be proven, this can be done as well at extra Cost. For Bullets within certain Limits, this is usually not necessary, but extreme Designs risk unforeseen Behaviour. You hold the Gun in Front of the Beast, not me. So it’s Your Skin, not mine.

No one needs to follow my Advise. I will also build bullets after Specification, if You just want to check Your own Ideas.

Custom Bullets as describes above take quite a bit of Work and the Price is moderate for that. I hope to find follow on Customers, to actually not jus generate Revenue but also Income. While I like to do the Stuff, I cannot do it for free and will not.

The nice Thing about this Business is: Both learn, but I get paid. You learn once, I learn always. So actually it’s more Consulting, than Fabrication.

LutzM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lutz, you absolutely need an English(American) option for your site. I know you have 1 page in English but the rest of your site is in German(I'm guessing.) I know you're a busy man, so if you could do this it would be helpful as far as deciding what bullets would fit my perceived needs, or not.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LutsM,

versteht nickt deutsche!

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of LutzM
posted Hide Post
Hallo 475Guy,

My Webesite grew over the Years and i stoped more or less to enlarge it, because evething has been said more than once there, and for too much Work load. So what i really need, is an native English speaking Salesman to take Care of my Bullets in Countries with those Language. It's too much for me. If You want a Bullet, you can alway have it (Min 100 ex Stock, 300 Custom Order).

Regarding the Choice, AR is a vocative Place to discuss such Questions in Depth, i believe!

LutzM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jeffe,

I think LutzM has a business proposition for you.

Rich
DRSS

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Hey Jeffe,

I think LutzM has a business proposition for you.

Rich
DRSS

vas? ve geats?

Sounds like a job for super neal!!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we gehts? It appears he is looking for someone who speaks "american" to redo his website, and perhaps act as his US Agent selling his bullets.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
we gehts? It appears he is looking for someone who speaks "american" to redo his website, and perhaps act as his US Agent selling his bullets.

Rich
DRSS

That sounds like a job for someone hyper, A lot of piss and vinegar!! Someone with a "gun nut" attitude!!
This sounds like a job for the boom!!!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KennethI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 475Guy:
Lutz, you absolutely need an English(American) option for your site. I know you have 1 page in English but the rest of your site is in German(I'm guessing.) I know you're a busy man, so if you could do this it would be helpful as far as deciding what bullets would fit my perceived needs, or not.

Translated by Google

Don't know if you've tried this yet, but Google will translate the pages for you. Not perfect, but usually well enough to know what the point is.

Posts: 238 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LutzM

Please email me on the bullets

nealshrly@yahoo.com
sales@custombrassandbullets.com

Thanks
RNS

RNS

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gosh Neal,

hadn't thought about the fact that you have a business up and running, and would be all set up to handle the Lutz line of custom bullets. homer

As long as we get some good .550" solids out of the deal.

Rich
DRSS

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
While LutzM's bullets are interesting, and I would not mind having a sample in my collection. What will they do at $3+ ea., that cannot be done with premium bullets already avalible here for less than half the price?

Just wondering.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LutzM
posted Hide Post
Keith wrote

quote:
While LutzM's bullets are interesting, and I would not mind having a sample in my collection. What will they do at $3+ ea., that cannot be done with premium bullets already available here for less than half the price?

Hi Hog Killer Keith,

8 mm KJG did that, see the Blood spur

You talk about Prices for Custom Orders of any new Bullet including interior, exterior and terminal Ballistics. Call it a Consultation Job that is paid by Hardware shipment. Regular mass produced Bullet are cheaper.

I am a Hunter by myself and actually needed better Bullet than available, so I made some, as all contacted Manufacturer were reluctant to offer me a Bullet after my Specification, or were able to deliver in reasonable Time (A nasty Experience, when You wait in good Hope). As the smallest Manufacturing lot I could get, was 300 Pieces, but I did initially not need that many, I anyhow ordered 300 and offered the unneeded Surplus for Sale. That was 2003. I sold more than I had and had to order more. Meanwhile the Bullets take my Time I used to devote to Hunting and the unwanted Surplus has become a Business. I did not want that. It just happened.

I remember those Days well. So if now comes Hunter with certain Ideas about a Bullet, I would not turn him down with my Wisdom, but simply deliver, what he asks for. For Money paid, in reasonable Time and unquestionable Quality. Sure I have my own Ideas about Solutions to the Problems, and I will offer them as Guidance, but as the Customer spends his Money, he is the one to spend his Play funds, not me.

So “3+$†ea do exactly what “premium bullets already available here for less than half the price†cannot do, namely be a custom made Bullet after Customer command to fulfil the Wish of the Man, who ordered them, mostly to verify his View on the Matter. I actually think, such Bullet are pretty cheap and I only offer that, in the Hope some good Design will eventually show up and they might go into series Production.

A Deformator, that turned out to be self destructive. Ups! You may play, as You want!

LutzM

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
LutzM, Thanks for your reply. Making the customer his own design bullets as a service, the price makes sence. I was thinking that you had your own product line of bullets.

Quite the blood splatter on that boar. Nice one too. cheers A true DRT shot.(dead right there)

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LutzM
posted Hide Post
Hallo Keith,

read the whole 8 mm Story in English with more Pictures.

What do You think about this Croatian Hunter, awsome, isn`t he!

Here in Europe most Folks shoot 9,3 mm and less for a Caliber. In those Calibers I have Standard Producs for less Money available. But the Safari Gang obviously wants always the bigger Hammer. May they. I shall help.

LutzM