New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 Jeffery Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted
Where can I get a quality, workman 404 Jeffery. I'm not looking for a fancy stock or engraving of any sort. Criteria: Reliable feeding, CRF, good open sights, and under $1,500. Is it possible

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Get a surplus Mauser and have it built to your specs. You should be able to do it within that budget.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Longbob
Hi Longbob,
Does Ruger not chamber for the 404 Jeffery? With the barrel fluted the balance is improved greatly. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ruger does not have a .404 in their catalog; as I remember, they only offered the .404 in their Ruger #1.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about getting a Winchester M70 safari classic in .375 H&H or .416 Remington mag and having it rebarreled to 404 Jeff? I ask this because I've thought of having it done. A safari classic costs about $800 and I'd think you could send it to some like Mark Penrod and have it rebarreled as well as the feeding slicked up for the extra $700.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boltman has the right idea as to getting into a good 404 at that price...but unless you just have to have a 404, I'd say the 416 Remington is just as good from a practical standpoint, and believe me it grieves me to put that in print with some of these vultures hanging around to nail me on that statement!! I do love the 404 Jefferys and have used it for years.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Ray! Say it ain't so!

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
The M70 conversion is really a good idea for some portsider who doesn't think that the .375 carries quite enough pop. Logically, Ray is right about caliber and Boltman and George are right about soul. Ray is too, but at least he's honest about it. I've got the same idea. Try contacting Nick@bigbores.com for somewhat the same thing. Do you by chance have an action already?

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Sarge, I do not have anything. Just a clean sheet of paper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Longbob,

I think the 404 misses out on something if it is not done on a Mauser. For that reason if a Model 70 was used I would be inclined to agree with Ray and go with 416 Remington.

This will be especially the case if you want to play around with cast bullets and Hornadies and Speer bullets etc.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Reason I suggested is the very reasonable price Nick quoted me when I provided my own action and peep sights. Talk to da man.
Sarge

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Sarge, are you talking about Nickadu? By the way, how are those chapters coming along?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Longbob,
Mike 375 is right on the Mauser nostalgia, but thats no biggie, find a good Mark 10 or a used Custom or simi custom Mauser that strikes your fancy and just rebarrel it...

I recently purchased a Mauser Mod A in 10.75x68 (.423 bore), shoots one hole at 50 yds, but due to headspace and Bertram brass I,m having some problems with it that I don't want to worry with (fireforming Bertram brass) so I packed it up and sent it off to our own John Ricks for some kind of a 404, still thinking about that one..With the addition of a Blackburn box and a re-chamber and a little work, presto 404 Jefferys. A plus is the value just jumped about $3000. for $500 worth of work.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Affirmative on Nikudu.

I got as far as Class III and then work and 9/11 sort of overwhelmed me. Hope to get back to work on the last section next week.

Sarge

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I kinda wish Nickadu would weigh in with his thoughts. And that way I could contact him.

Sarge, I've been dogging you about the chapters and it is all in good fun. I really do look forward to you posting your results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray....you've got to start shooting more than one shot to test grouping or you will always get one0hole groups.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Sarge.....Mathews Gun Shop in Downey has a set of .404 dies cheap in their used box.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB,
Give me one reason why I should mess up a perfectly good one hole group by firing another shot????

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
DB,
I could use thoes dies if Sarge passes on them...Tried to email you but no go....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
DB,
Thanx! I'll call Matthews as soon as I can get ot a phone on Monday.
Sarge