Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

450 Ackley or 458 Lott? Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One reason is to keep operating pressures lower by using a larger case.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Alf,

Not everyone has test facilities for testing their rifle!

Even Hornady recommends loads for getting 2150 fps in the 458 WM. I had no problem in getting this velocity in 22" barrels. Though every rifle and bullet brand are different, and hence one gets variations in velocities, one just has to load 'em up and if there are no signs of high pressure, away you go.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, looking for pressure signs is key. However, care to be taken working up loads in cold weather and taking ammo to tropic.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
ALF- Go to quickload ,look up .458 win. Pick barrel length and bullet of choice. Find powder for 2100fps under 65KPSI. Usually ball, Check with Oehler. Trust me it works , Quickload usually underestimates pressures in my experience too. Yes there are many loads that will achieve that velocity and more. A long barreled .458 win can give a short barrelled .458 Lott a serious run for the money. Neither will match a Ackley though! I've also found that despite very high pressures ( you know how far I've gone), straight walled cases rarely give extraction problems. I suspect its due to my observation that straight walled cases tend to be thicker than other types particularily in the shoulder area.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Hornady shows their Heavy Magnum .458 Win Mag loads, both soft points and solids, at 2260 fps. They attribute this to a "cooler" burning powder and a special loading technique. Even assuming a shorter barrel velocity should still be around 2200 fps.

Mike

Posts: 21203 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say the 458 Lott. It can push a 500 gr bullet to over 2300 fps. Thats alot of FT LBS

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote