New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 Dakota? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted
Does anyone have any experience with it?

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
I have asked this question before. No one at that time had anything to post. The information I was able to get from a Dakota dealer is that the 404 Dakota is the 375 Dakota necked up. This would make it a 404 Jeffery improved and shortened to 2.5". That is unfortunately all I can add.

Todd E

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Todd, Dakota shows dimensions on their site. It looks like what I've been looking for.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 404 Dakota offers no real advantage over the 404 Jeff. The 404 Jeff gets 2400 fps with a 400 grainer which is ideal. All you get from the Dakota is more recoil, more chance of bullet failure, less resale value and more difficulty finding ammo.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .404 Dakota was brought to market so that Dakota's potential customers would have a viable big bore option for their travler rifle. It, like most cartridges with a pedigree, has certainly been done before.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakota sent me one of their rounds and its a neat little round and has a lot to offer, but I like the ambiance of the Jefferys, so I'll just hang in there with it....It has never let me down in the least...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I truely love the jeffreys, but I need it to work in a standard action.

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Will the .404 jefferys work in my standard action?

<500 AHR>
posted
Over.40,

The 404 Jeffery will work in a standard action ie Mauser 98, Win M70, Rem M700. You will undoubtedly need to open up the Mauser, but if you get a M70 or M700 in a belted magnum chambering you should be able to get away with almost no modification outside of removing the possible spacer in the back of the magazine box and open the rails. The rails may not even need to be touched if the relative shoudler positions between the original case and the Jeffery are close enough. If you study most cartridge designs you will notice that the distance form the head to the shoulder is often very close to the same from one cartridge to another. This is desireable because it allows for one receiver to feed several different cartridges without modification. Now that I have said this someone will most likely dispute it but oh well.

If I were you I would do the 404 Jefferys on a Mauser M1898 (or equivalent) or a Win M70.

Todd E

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
I have a BRNO vz24 action and plan on useing a Krieger barrel in a laminated wood stock. I want something in 416 or 423 without a belt.

<500 AHR>
posted
Over.40,

I have no personal experience with the VZ24. It will however accept a 404 Jeffery. The extent of action modifications I cannot however discuss. Please remember though that it is ALWAYS BEST TO MINIMIZE THE AMOUNT OF ACTION MODIFICATIONS.

Todd E