Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.750 cal and larger Login/Join

<BIG AL Williams>
posted
HELLO, iS THERE ANYONE MADING a caliber larger than a .750? Ifso What bolt -action are they using BIG AL

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Only one "production" action that I know of; the McMillan for the 20mm Vulcan case. It can be fired "as is" (20mm= .820")........but of course J.D. Jones would have none of that. He cut down and necked up the case to make a ".950 JDJ". Apparently he used a 25mm cannon barrel for it.

McMillan also used this action for their "Fat Mac" Project, but it was a cut-down and necked-down Vulcan case firing turned solid VLD .510 slugs. Since the Vulcan case is so thick, they ran a reamer into the case so they could bend it into it's new shape. Unfortunately, they had problems with the cases ruptuturing at the joint where the reamer stopped, after only 2-3 firings.

EDM will soon have a bolt-action for the 20mm Vulcan. I don't have an address, but there's a pic on the Reloading board on this site. It's in a message to saeed about a 20mm Vulcan action.

Probably not at all what you had in mind, but I read about a guy who had a 20mm barrel that he had run into a fence post.....while it was attached to his Navy fighter plane (F9F Panther???). The ground crew had given it to him as a souvenir. He dug it out of the closet and had a gunsmith build him a muzzle loading Blackpowder rifle with it. It was remarkably effective on Deer.

Posts: 7496 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
There is an outfit in South Africa right now building man portable, takedown 20mm semi-auto rifles. It looks quite a bit like the Barrett. The main recoil recoil reducing mechanism is a large hydraulic shock absorber under the barrel plus the ubiquitous muzzle break. It can be had in 20mm, .50 U.S. and 12.7mm Russian.

Does anyone need something like this? Of course, if you do not currently have one...you need to get one. Unfortunately the BATF thugs have decided semi-auto rifles are "non-sporting" and you can't import it.
Buy a Barrett, a lathe, a 3 axis milling machine and spend a year or so scaling up the rifle to hold the gargantuan 20mm. Or BEST YET buy a twin-barrelled 20mm Oerlikon machine cannon. They are available and no-one can deny the massive cool factor of pulling up to the range in your Ford F-350 Super Duty and your twin Oerlikon bolted to the bed in back. 80 round drums, brass is made and available from Isreali Military Industries.

Make a statement about who you are..20 Mike-Mike or nothing!

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post

This is in 20x83 or 14.5x114 . . .
http://club.guns.ru/eng/ntw20.html

[This message has been edited by Jiri (edited 05-29-2001).]

Posts: 2082 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post

This caliber has 180+ J/mm^2, it is highest energy density for nonsaboted bullet I know.

For comparison :
30-378 or 7.82 Warbird : 145
.50 BMG : 140+
20 mm vulcan,20x138 Czech : 154+
20x110 Yugoslav : 163+ (51000J+) - sniper rifle

But . . . 15mm AMR (Steyr}
5.6mm saboted tungsten bullet in 15mm smoothbore, 36grams at 1500m/s - 40500J
3727J/mm^2

Posts: 2082 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Nobody here ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
can i buy one here in the states?

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know where I saw it, but I have picture of a .750 Nitro Express. I think that it is a one off. Here's the run down:
1300grn solid at unknown velocity

13975 ft lbs of put down and never get up. The Taylor KO rating = 306. I heard that the guy refused 1500 bucks just for one round when he was asked to sell it for a guys collection.

------------------
JR

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
doesn't 20mm come under the evil and illogically repressive Destructive Devise title, and thus make it "illegal only if you get caught" here in the states?

by the way, I'm not in favor of this title, since I always wanted my very own 40mm Boefeurs AA Gun.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
are destructive device laws handled on a state by state basis, like or class 3 weapons?

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
<greeng3>
posted
The Destructive Device laws are Federal. Some states place additional restrictions on what you can own.

The basic rule is that anything over .50 caliber that fires fixed ammunition and isn't recognized as "sporting" is a Large Bore Destructive Device (as opposed to explosive, incendiary, poison gas, or other Destructive Devices).

A 12-gauge is sporting, so it's not a DD. A .600 Nitro Express is sporting. A flintlock doesn't fire fixed ammunition, so it's not even a firearm as far as the Federal law goes. Some states consider them firearms.

I'm mystified how JD Jones gets away with what he does. I recall asking him once if his .950 rifle was a DD, and he said no. Of course, if it's not sporting, what on Earth would you consider it?

I'm a little vague on the rules about importing DDs. There is a type of Federal Firearms License for importing DDs, but I don't know where the laws are that cover what you can and can't do.