Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 Throat Length Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was intrigued by the 45-70 Nitro thread, and had a question. I just bought a Handirifle 45-70 - my first big bore - and I love it. For a light rifle, it's not that bad at all; kind of like my muzzleloader. Anyway, how far do you ream the throat to use the bullets you want? Handi's are notoriously short-throated in this caliber, and I was just wondering.

I believe jeffeosso mentioned 2.65" as a start; would this handle most bullets? I'm not going to try and hotrod this into a .458 Lott, I just want to get the most out of it before I explore the world of high-power bigbores.

Thanks in advance...

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I would select the longest bullet you want to shoot, seat it in the case for maximum cartridge overall length and ream it to that.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 02 February 2007 17:31 Hide Post
I would select the longest bullet you want to shoot, seat it in the case for maximum cartridge overall length and ream

That is exactley what I would do.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I figured it would be something pretty basic like that, but you never know...Thanks!

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you'll find the 45/70 "normal" throat to be surprisingly short

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38490 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote