Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Rifle? Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have decided to get a .416 something. I would like to be able to turn the 416 into a 500 Jeffery someday if I decide I want something more powerful. Knowing all that which 416 rifle should I get and why? I really do not want to spend more than a grand but $1500 would be the maximum.

Thanks!

Posts: 116 | Location: Cleves, IA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The .416 Rigby head size exceeds that of the Jeffrey so it appears the selection of the Remington or Taylor version would be in your interest.
As the CZ-550 rifle is not available so chambered, your question is a good one. The building of a .500 Jeffrey on the Model 70 is possible but difficult. I'd consider trying to locate a quality Mil-Surp Mauser action and installing a .416 Rem barrel. At least you'll have a proper starting point when you decide you wish to build the Jeffrey.

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 09-02-2001).]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Thanks for the input that is what I was looking for.

What do you think about a M700 Safari in 416 remington mag? There is one in the Coralville Scheels here that I have been drowling over. Can a M700 shoot the 500 Jeffery?

Thanks,
Kent

posted Hide Post
Allow me to answer and, at the same time, attempt to stay out of trouble (?). I think the Remington S.S. Safari in .416 is a neat rifle and came close to purchasing one when first introduced. I don't, however, think it a prime candidate for subsequent conversion to .500 Jeffrey, as you plan.
The Jeffrey was designed to be the largest possible case fittable to a Mauser action. Even this is not so easily accomplished and few gunsmiths do enough of them to gain much expertise. Most of the better ones go right to making their own magazine box for starters. I still think you should go about finding a quality Mauser action and taking things from there. You'll also have to think ahead when designing the stock or you'll have to change it again when you go to .500.
This is all I can say, as it is rather unusual to build a rifle in one caliber with a future conversion to another in mind.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
A good Milsurp Mauser is the way to go, IMO, and I would go with a simple 416 Rem Mag. I think when you get used to the 416 Rem Mag you will not want the 500, but if you still do, then go the same route again, but with another rifle. With both you will not be tied into the big rifle all the time, and the 416 is far more versitile than the 500! Just my personal opinion, I would not use the 700 for either of these rifles, again a personal opinion!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kent I'll give you a little alternative to what you are looking for.

CZ 550 makes the 416 Rigby in a very good Magnum Mauser type action for between $600 and $675, one is listed here right now for $550. The rim of a 416 Rigby is .590". American Hunting Rifle has a cartridge that is called the 500 AHR. This rifle is a 500 Jeffrey with a longer neck and a non-rebated rim. The rim of the 500 AHR is .600" which means a Rigby action can be made into at 500 AHR. Brass is available from AHR for about $2.25 each. Brass for the 500 Jeffrey at my dealer cost is $3.60 each. The 500 Jeffrey and 500 AHR are both low preasure loads and ballistics are very similiar. Bell is reported to be going to make 500 Jeffrey and that should bring the price down some.

Just my 2 cents

Good Hunting
Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

[This message has been edited by Santala (edited 09-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Santala (edited 09-02-2001).]

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MacD37,

Is it ok to build a 416 Rem (or anything 375 H&H length) on a standard Mauser action? I was always under the impression they would have to be opened up and that was a questionable proposition. Also, what about the magazine box length? Hence, everyone on this forum seems to always favor the "Magnum Mausers", although they seem to be quite pricey.

Brian

[This message has been edited by bjdoerr (edited 09-03-2001).]

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help! I really want to get that Remington at Scheels. I am after all a big Remington fan. Some of you said that you wouldn't recommend using the M700 action for the 500 Jeffery, why? Is this just because it is a push feed, or is there a more legitimate reason?

Thanks,
Kent

<500 AHR>
posted
Kent,

You shouldn'e get a 416 Rigby anything if you want to turn the rifle into a 500 Jeffery or 500 AHR someday. The reason being that the 500's us the rim thickness of the 375 H&H which is about .020" thinner than the Rigby. Its a pain to thicken up the extractor so it is best to avoid it in the first place.

If you went with a CZ you should get a 375 H&H or a 458 Win Mag (the 458 should also be a magnum length action).

Regarding the use of a M700 action. If you want the damn thing get it. The M700 can handle an OAL cartridge length of 3.65" so you can get by with the 500 Jeffery. I do not think that you will be able to utilize a staggered magazine though. That means you will only get one or two into the magazine. You may also have some problems with the rebated rim. I am not sure if you can open a M700 bolt face to .573" either. You should check with your gunsmith.

I wouldn't consider a 500 AHR on the M700 because it is too long of a case and cartridge (OAL of 3.75" with the heavier bullets) and the rim is even bigger in diameter (0.600") than the Jeffery.

Todd E

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about this . . .
Buy a Ruger in .416 Rigby or .375 (about $1000)and, if you feel like it in the future, have it rebored and tricked out by Bowen classic arms to .505 Gibbs (about $1300 if you want all the bells and whistles). This way you have a dangerous game rifle that is built like the proverbial brick Sh*^ house, is CRF, has really nice wood, and has a quarter rib rear sight.
Tough to beat this combination for a total cost that is a whole lot less than the price of a custom rifle from most any shop!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd say your best bet is to concentrate on getting a good 416, of whatever flavor tickles your fancy. Then, if you decide on a 500, pick a suitable action in the future and have it built as such.

While the Jeffrey was designed to fit in a std length action, IMHO, using a magnum length action is a better option, as it'll allow you to use longer component bullets.

For your current budget, I'd say get a CZ 416 rigby and see how you like it.

If I were to do another 500 jeffrey, and mines still in the works, I'd use the CZ 550 action as a basis.

I'd also a agree that the 416 is fully sufficient and practicle big bore hunting round. The 500 is something you don't see everywhere, and has a certain bad ass factor for sure, but asside from that, its essentially a pricey piece to properly assemble, pricey to feed, and you won't shoot many full patch loads through it. With all that said, I can't wait til mine is finished!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would stay away from the Rem 700. Personally, I am biased in favor of both controlled feed and quality, neither of which Remington offers.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that I got that out of my system...

Perhaps you should consider one of the Mauser 98's already built up in 500 Jeffery from
http://www.bigbores.com

They look pretty nice and the price is VERY good for a custom rifle.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up that M700 Safari in 416 Remington this week. Thanks for all the advice though. This rifle is awesome! It has a synthetic stock stainless action and barrel with muzzle brake and shoots better than 1 inch groups at 100 yards.

I spoke to gunsmith about possibly converting it to a 500 Jeffery and he said he could do it. He also said that he wasn't sure if he could get the magazine to feed though. I have always gotten answers like that and it seems to be some kind of disclaimer to me.

Recoil seems to be blown out of proportion be several people also. I find my 870 12 guage to kick harder than this rifle. I do not know how much help the muzzle brake is in reducing the recol though. Do the remington muzzle brakes screw off?

If/when I convert this bad boy to 500 Jeffery I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Kent

<SideCar>
posted
Lots of opinions here! I opt to buy a .416 Remington first---shoot it use it, then make a decision wheather you need or want a 500 whatever later down the road.

If and when that time arrives, buy an action and have the gun maker set you up proper like.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Methinks I am a little late on this, but:

last weekend I handled a CZ 550 in .500 JRY. When I first saw that thing, I did not know where to put it, with that shotgun barrel but that massive barrelband front sight :-)

Extremely front weighting, with a straight line stock, but way to thin in the grip area and a much too slim stock.

Action was very smooth, barrelband front swivel, NECG front and rear sight ( I�m quite sure ).

Gunsmith himself was not there at the moment, but will ask him about it anyway.

Be assured, the CZ 550 Magnum WILL take the .500 Jry.

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Above gun is for sale!!! Price IMHO is downright cheap. Now if somebody in Middle Europe _needs_ a .500 ... ( don�t know how difficult overseas would be, but a gunsmith should know )

Have fun! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote