THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    for Ray A.---floor plate popping open

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

for Ray A.---floor plate popping open Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 416 Taylor based on a 700 action. Everytime I fire a round the cursed hinged floorplate pops open. What do you think is the culprit and approriate fix?
Sambubba

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sam,
The apologist at "RIFLE" magazine (who was doing a review of a Remington .375RUM whose floorplate popped open just about every time) was told by Remington that the notch has to be filed 'just right', but that 'occasionally' some bad ones 'slip through'.

The writer STILL liked the rifle despite the fact that this kind of slip-up can get you killed.

Another reason I don't buy recent-manufacture
Rem. 700s and WON'T be renewing my subscription to "RIFLE".

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sam,
Not unusual with all actions designed for standard cartridges and companies that hire bean counters as opposed to gunsmiths....

Any good gunsmith can replace the spring with a heavier spring and recut the notch a little deeper if necessary.

Happens with most conversions, Mausers, M-70 Win. etc that were originally non magnum..and a lot of factory guns..Its an easy fix. and should be addressed by all Custom Gun builders, but surprisingly it is often overlooked....

As a side note and original Mauser, in good condition will never do that with any caliber with the original bottom metal, another first for the great Paul Mauser and his absolute genius....I'm still waiting to see someone REALLY improve the original battle rifle...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"As a side note and original Mauser, in good condition will never do that with any caliber with the original bottom metal, another first for the great Paul Mauser and his absolute genius....I'm still waiting to see someone REALLY improve the original battle rifle."

Ray. Never happen. How can one improve on perfection?
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<George Hoffman>
posted
Gentlemen:
Regarding the floor plate falling open on Rm
700. I had this to happen with the orginal .416 Hoffman. I called Remington (this was in the good old days if you had a problem they would send you a part. Even a trigger)
They sent me a new floor plate wilth a double spring. This solved the problem and I still have this rifle. That was in 1975.
George

posted Hide Post
It's irritating when manufacturers know of a flaw (and its fix), but don't take care of it at the factory.

I think it shows a lack of respect for the customer.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote