Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

first time 416 Login/Join

<empty chamber>
posted
Just shot my first 416 Rem. which is a Dakota, thought it would be a lot worse than it was. I once shot a 470 nitro that has a little different kind of recoil,in that I mean the 470 rises more than pushes. Dont know why but am excited to shoot it or something bigger again, might soon have a chance at shooting an 8 bore as I am lucky enough to know someone who has one.What are your thoughts on the 416?

<Terry P>
posted
e.c.,
I've had my 416 Rigby in a Ruger rifle for about 3 years now and I like it alot. It's the most accurate rifle that I own. I think you will like the 416 Rem. because of the availability of brass. I get tired of the extra cost of the Rigby sometimes. Factory cartridges have run me $150-$200 per box.
I think the 416 Rem. is a great cartridge for Africa and with the different bullets made for it , it's a good all rounder. What kind of accuracy has the Dakota produced?
Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
E.C I just purchased a .416 rigby in a cz. I Love it. Hated the stock though had to get a custom fiberglass/kevlar one made up in the weatherby style. I have no nead for it although I will hunt camels with it next year, I just like the caliber, as flat shooting as the .375 and it makes more sense to have a .338 and .416 combination than a .375. Then you have the fish and the fowl!!!

Regards PC.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
empty chamber,

Nice choice of calibres! I have a somewhat modified Winchester in the same calibre and love it! Love reloading for that thing too. There is nothing like producing brand new ammo with 400 grain solids at over 2400 FPS for less than $40 per box of 20. More money left over for trophy fees that way !

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the big 40's for dangerous game, the 416 Rem and especially the 404...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41897 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<empty chamber>
posted
In response to the accuracy of the Dakota, We (my father and I) only shot six rounds through it (three from the bench and three off shoulder)as this was the first time the trigger had been pulled. although it was only bore sighted , accuracy was decent from the bench @ 100yrds. I'M SURE WITH A LITTLE TIME AT THE RANGE IT WILL PRODUCE GOOD GROUPS.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
PC: I assume these are feral camels. Are they edible? Just wonderin'.

Posts: 16430 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, yes they are feral and people do eat them. I reckon an old bull camel would be little tough though, probably be alright if you took the scotch fillets off and minced them for rissoles, done like this I think they'd be tasty.

I think the .416 Rigby with 410 gr softnose woodleighs at around 2600 fps should do the trick on camels don't you think??

Regards PC.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote