THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Price check on a Mark X Whitworth 458

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price check on a Mark X Whitworth 458 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an Interarms Mark X in a 458 mag. I believe this is a Whitworth but it does not say so anywhere on it. It has the 3 leaf express sights and barrel band.The stock has the black cap and steel grip cap. The recoil pad has been replaced with a kickeez. The side of the receiver has Alexandria Virginia and Manchester England but no mention of Yugoslovia Could anyone give me a value on this gun. TIA

Posts: 77 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 01 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Mine is exactly as you described except it is stamped Whitworth on the side and top of the front ring and cz behind Alexandria Virginia. I paid $500 for it 6 months ago.

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You see them advertised between $600 and $700...that's advertised. What they actually get for them I don't know.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TAN4Y,

I think Ray Atkinson would be able to answer your question best. The action of your rifle was indeed made in Yugoslavia. I also have a Manchester, England stamped Mark X rifle(mine is a 270 Win.) and I wondered if it was made in Yugoslavia. When I pulled the barreled action from the stock I found "Made in Yugoslavia" stamped on the side of the rear tang. Mr. Atkinson replied to me that the rifles stamped "Manchester, England" were assembled in England and are most sought after especially in the safari grades. I don't think you have a Whitworth because every Whitworth I have seen has been stamped as such. You do have a desirable rifle though. I piad $325 for my 270 Win., although my dealer had it marked at $345. I believe yours would be worth a little more because of the caliber.

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is with a 3 leaf island rear sight, barrel band swivel, short forend, black forend tip, egg cheek piece, marked Manchester England, it is a Whitworth, make on a Mark-10 Yugo action..A very few later guns were not marked Whitworth as a change in importers took place as I recall or at any rate something of that nature took place, but they are the same gun and have the same value. I have seen them for sale in the Gunlist for anywhere from $750 in the latest list to as low as $500 from time to time...they have very good barrels and I have never seen or heard of one that wouldn't shoot well...They are openned up entirely in front and I don't like that but apparantly it has worked out well as I have never heard of one developing headspace except when converted to 7 STW, or some of the new really hot babies...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Atkinson:
[B]If it is with a 3 leaf island rear sight, barrel band swivel, short forend, black forend tip, egg cheek piece, marked Manchester England, it is a Whitworth, make on a Mark-10 Yugo action
[QUOTE]
It has all of these features.

Thank You all for the info on this gun.I have had this gun for about 5 years and I have put about 3 boxes through it. So I don't shoot it much and I just picked up a Marlin in the 450 so I can see this one just sitting in my safe never being taken out for a little excercise. I guess I will have to decide if it would be better to keep it or sell her.
TAN4Y

Posts: 77 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 01 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one of the later models Ray is referring to (in .458). The recoil pad is marked "Whitworth," but not the action. Mine also doesn't have the barrel band. If you plan on putting many rounds through it, I would suggest a good bedding job. I split the stock on mine somewhere around the 100 round mark. When I took it out of the stock, I found that the secondary lug on the barrel was bedded, but the recoil lug on the action wasn't. Mine isn't opened up in front any further than the '06-length actions -- probably a good quarter inch less then the .375 Whitworths.

[This message has been edited by Cannon (edited 11-02-2001).]

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cannon,
On the openning up, thanks for the correction, as I was referring to the 375 lenth actions in the mark 10 action...the 458 is a short round, and I was typing as opposed to thinking, a malady I have from time to time...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I got a fair amount of enjoyment out of watching you and RAB argue all around this very point a couple of weeks ago -- even though you were really in agreement the whole time. Just wanted to point out the difference for those that might not be aware.

Cannon

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Cannon,
Amazing how you sweet talked Ray into agreeing with you. I was trying to tell him the same thing, but couldn't get my point across, the same point you made so well.

------------------
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
RAB,

I thought about posting to that thread several times, but it was just too entertaining.

Cannon

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I saw one of these in .458 WM at a gun show a few weeks ago. It was for sale for $500 Cdn., with bullets, brass and dies.

The reason I didn't buy it was the teeny little safety that it had. It was the exact same design and safety that I have on my BSA Monarch .222 heavy barrel. The safety is fine on the .222, since I can carry it empty until I get set up. Not good on a .458.

Is it the same gun you're referring to, or am I mistaken? I'm 99% sure that what I saw was a Whitworth.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote