THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
Krico - A Very Rare & Very Nice 10.75x68 Big Game Rifle

I just acquired a German made Krico Model 700 in 10.75x68 cal. It must be pretty rare in this caliber because all the data I could find lists 9.3x62 as the largest caliber they make. Perhaps this was a special order.

Here are the specs:

8 lbs 5 oz -
14-1/4 LOP -
22-1/2" Bbl -
Jeweled Bolt -
Detachable 3-Round Magazine -
Standing Rear Site -
Elevation Adjustable Front Site -
EAW QD Scope bases -
Button Release Sling Swivels -
Button release Sling Swivels -
Packmayr Recoil Pad -

This is a remarkably smooth action. Bolt operates like its on glass bearings. The only actions that have similar smoothness are the Colt Sauer and the Krag.
Its push-feed with 1 up and 3 down. Although the standard overall cartridge length for 10.75x68 is 3.189", the box mag will handle 3.40" cartridge length.
Some people don't like push-feed actions, this one feeds flawlessly because the magazine has long "feed lips" on both sides that support the cartridge as it feeds into the chamber. And, the snap-over Sako style extractor allows fast single round "nto the chamber" feeding when necessary.

I can't wait to get to the range to test this one. (If Winter ever ends. Just got 12" of snow yesterday.)

As usual your comments are welcome. Especially if you have any information about Krico.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just an amazing looking rifle.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
*** UPDATE *** The rifle came with a set of EAW pivot bases but no rings. A set of EAW rings and bases retail for almost $600. Fortunately I found a used set of rings and bases for a Sauer model 600 for $175 and used only the needed rings. Then I added a 1980s Leupold 1.5x-5x scope. On-and-off scope function is great. (see updated pictures) Next week I go to the range to test it.

Posts: 2122 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
optical illusion or is the front ring higher than the rear?

I always liked the small caliber krico.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Yes, the front ring is .017 inches higher than the rear. I am not sure why. According to my calculations the bullet would impact 8 inches low at 50 yards because of this offset. Perhaps muzzle rise from recoil will bring the bullet up to aiming point. Test firing will see what happens. Regardless, the scope has adequate elevation adjustment to compensate for this offset.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Well, I did have to do a little scope adjusting to correct the uphill scope mounting.

Here is the first field test. Wind gusts of 30+ mph accounted for the windage spread. I also removed and replaced the scope twice to check repeatability of the pivot-off mounts. Its sighted 1" high at 50 yds which puts it dead-on at 130 yds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive owned a cpuple of Mausers in 10.75x68 and handloads approach the 404 Jefferys original loads. Shot PG and a couple of buffalo with it and it did well indeed..An over looked caliber loaded by the factory with poor bullets hurt a fine caliber thats light and handy and pushes a 400 gr. bullet at 2150 to 2200 fps or a 350 gr bullet at 2350 FPS, holds an extraround or two in the magazine..I could find no fault in it, none what so ever when Horneber made brass and they still produce brass.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As Kid Rio said to Bob Amory, “That's not my style, Bob.”

But certainly well made.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Well,

I found another ring assembly on eBay and bought it. This had a wider ring, and lowered the front of the scope by 0.025" - and it leveled the scope to look better. I didn't adjust windage on this target because the group was so nice. I adjusted the scope to the left to center the group before putting away the rifle. I fired a total of 15 shots and recoil was very comfortable and could have shot more but ran out of time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle and pretty decent groups too. Nice score.