THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    416 Rigby by Timan/gunmaker

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rigby by Timan/gunmaker Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted
Here's a few pics of a project I worked with Stuart "Timan" on. It's a 416 Rigby on a Granite Action. Large is an understatement when working on one of these BIG GMA receivers. Stuart did a great job of barreling the integral site&swivel barrel and carefully removing all the mill marks from the rough machined barrel. He polished & blued the metalwork, fed, final assembeled & filed the sites in. I stocked it in a light weight piece of Turkish from a blank.
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Class Unit! cheers

Can you explain/elaborate on those QDrings?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like the crisp lines on the stock.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
The rings are from Sunny Hill. Stu can elaborate more on this one. He milled the action to fit the rings.
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
excellent!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
beautiful.. nice stock profile.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
That turned out nice! I'm sure the new owner is going to be proud of it.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy! That's a beauty! What does it weigh?

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
It weighs 11 pounds, I really wouldn't want it any heavier. This is the 50 yard file in.
I stack all the circles of the sight picture, the target and bead, and I use the smaller round circles at the left and right to help me repeat the sight picture. It really liked the superior 400gr hornady soft point. A Rigby, A Rigby, for fun it's a wonderfull toy.
TIMAN

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
WJ,
Those are the Sunnyhill/Dumolin Rings, made by Sunny hill. They are lever release At $150.00 a set, very solid. The bottom of the ring has 3/16 diameter pin in the bottom of it that interacts with a slot that I mill in the action.
That keeps everything in place during recoil.
The rear scope ring has LH threads on its release lever. 180 degrees of rotation on the lever is enough to release it so when it is properly indexed it will never interfere with the bolt stop.
TIMAN

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, sir!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
Impressive rifle there, and in my favorite caliber too!!!

I already had complete faith in Timan, but gunmaker, that stock work is impecable! The details that you incorporated, such as the wood around the bolt release, the safety, the bolt, and everything makes the metal looks as though it was poured in........just as it should!!! clap

Kudos to both of you!!! thumb

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Very nice work, all around.

You guys are good!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats is very nice I would love to have a .416 Rigby made on a GA action for sure !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Even though I do metal work as well, if I were going across the pond with a big thumper like this one I'd have Stuart double check my feeding and have him file the sights in. He's probably filed in 200+ rifles 375H&H and bigger. He really gets a kick out of it. I've seen some pretty small groups he's shot with these big bores. He must have nerves of titanium.

Without the rings on my scale the rifle weighed 10.5 #s. With such a HUGE action it was hard to get the stock trimmed down as much as I wanted. Does this stock make me look fat?? Confused I used a rigby sized cap and that along with the depth of the action from the top of the tang to the trigger guard made for a lot of extra wood that I really wanted to remove. This is my first Granite that I've stocked and I now I understand why the "big boys" in the gunmaking world say that the H&W action is top dog in the CURRENT world of Mauser actions. You can buy two GMA actions for the price of one H&W. I think they're both fairly priced. I'd really like to work on one of Stu's actions and compare it to my GMA experience. After playing with Stu's actions at the SCI show I think I already know what to expect! jumping

gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Nice work all the way around Gents
There's a H&W action hidden inside that GMA action, you just need to remove a half pound of steel in order to find it. My biggest beef with the GMA action is its sheer bulk. It sure looks like you guys have made the best of it.

I'm having Stuart make one of his mausers for a 416 Rigby I'm having built. He's making a magnum length action with a .710" bolt. I really want a sensible 416 Rigby on a 416 Remington footprint.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great looking rifle guys! When is that thing heading to Africa?!

I like the look of those QD rings. I checked out the Sunny Hill website but saw no mention of them.

Any chance of a couple more close up photos? I'd like to learn a bit more about how they work(I can't quite see the attachment method from the pics) hold up to repeated recoil as well as how well they return to zero after removal.

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Working with James has always been a pleasure, his calm demeanor and skill level always impressed me. He's a hell of hand. done right the first time. No need to screw with it after that. Just go use it.
TIMAN

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:

I'm having Stuart make one of his mausers for a 416 Rigby I'm having built. He's making a magnum length action with a .710" bolt. I really want a sensible 416 Rigby on a 416 Remington footprint.

Are you going with his TITANIUM action?!?!? jumping thumb

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote