THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Accuracy of GS custom bullets - demo

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy of GS custom bullets - demo Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On Saturday I shot one group of GS custom bullets from my 470 capstick. I shot the 500 grain GS custom FN solid over 83.0 grains of IMR4064. I started with a light load (83.0 grains) because I was shooting a solid rather than a bullet with a lead core. However, comparing the elevation of the bullets compared to other loads I shot that day, it looks like the GS Custom bullets develop the same or less pressure than traditional lead core bullets. That's a nice feature because it means we can load them up.

The group measured 5/8 x 1/2 inch, center to center of the bullet holes.

Here is the target:

[This message has been edited by 500grains (edited 06-18-2001).]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pretty good, Dan. Are these the flat-point solids?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
500grains,

I have several groups that good or better from my 416 Rem.

Those things shoot well, and you don't have to worry about the petals opening or tearing off.

I did find something that would stop them - a hundred year-old 12x12 oak timber from a railroad bridge!

Don

posted Hide Post
Don G.,
I hope you're holding fire until the train has passed!

Good shooting! Guess your trigger and bedding are up to par with the rest of your new rifle. How is your feeding and extraction? Any "bugs" at all?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I was not shooting well that day, and I think the GS Custom bullets will shoot better than that target indicates.

Note how clean the bullet holes are around the edge. The paper is cut cleanly as though a Keith style semiwadcutter passed through, rather than being pushed out of the way like when a round nose bullet goes through the target. I suspect that the bullets will also cut a nice clean hold through animals as well, leaving an open .475 hole to create a nice clear blood trail.

As for trigger, it is just standard military two stage, and I like it. Feeding and extraction are perfect.

I guess I will have to order some more GS bullets.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 450-400-3" W.Jefferys double rifle shoots a neat 1" 4-shot group every time with the 385 Gr. FN solid, 1" high at 50 yds., the same as the Woodleighs softs and solids with the same load of 71.5 gr. RL-15 at 2135 FPS....can't beat that with a stick.

My 416 Rem shoots them in a 1" 3-shot group at 100 yds. with irons or scope...

I KNOW, from experience that a flat nose solid kills quicker and better and does more internal damage than a conventional round nose solid..albeit it may penitrate a mite less but I figure since it passes through a Buff sideways thats enough...

My Botswana PH, whom I book for but is sold out for several years in advance, has been using them on elephants since their induction by GS, and he will use nothing else and he has probably shot more elephant than any contemporary working PH...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote