THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Rate of twist for a 458 Lott

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rate of twist for a 458 Lott Login/Join

one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted
What would be the proper rate of twist for a 458 Lott? I anticipate shooting mostly 500 gr bullets with occasional 400 gr Barnes X (if they will group). I would like to try cast bullets but they would be the heavier ones.

Thank You,
WyoJoe

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The recent trend is toward fast twists because there has been some evidence that a fast twist gives better penetration, even if the fast twist is not needed for bullet stabilization. 1:10

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
Minimum 1:14
Good compromise 1:12
If mainly used for elephant closer than 20 yards 1:10

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, I like those answers!

------------------
So many bovids! So little time and money!
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WyoJoe,
Awhile back I tried to find a 1X12 twist barrel in .458 to make a LOTT out of a .375 H&H that I got at a show. Either nobody made it, wouldn't make unless I came up with a number of buyers, or one could be made but at a ridiculous price. Fixed up the Mod.70 .375 as my "light gun' to my .416 Rigby. Good luck in your search. I'm saving for a .500 NE Double and I suppose thats why "The Gun Gods" prevented me from doing the LOTT.
All the best,
SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote