New
Find
Notify
Tools

400 Brown Whelen Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted
Does anyone have any info on the 400 Brown Whelen or 400 Whelen? Chamber specs, reloading, etc would be helpful.

Thanks.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Howell's book, "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges for Rifles and Handguns", has a drawing of it on page 326.

E-mail him at khowell@iname.com

He has been a little under the weather lately so be patient.

Mike

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Snapper,

Are you ready:
Case length = 2.49"
Rim Thickness = 0.048" (same as 30-06)
Rim Diameter = 0.473" (same as 30-06)
Base Diameter = 0.470" (same as 30-06)
Shoulder Diameter = 0.462" (30-06 is 0.441")
Shoulder Angle = 17.5 degrees
Neck Diameter = 0.436"
Bullet Diameter = 0.411"
Cartridge OAL = 3.1" to 3.35"

The problem with this cartridge is that with the standard 30-06 shoulder angle there is very little shoulder to head space on and to resist the firing pin.

Todd E

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, Cartridges of the World condemned the 400 Brown Whelen for headspace problems because of a shoulder that is too small. The newer 411 Hawk cartridge solves that problem because it uses straight-walled '06 basic brass with a sharply angled shoulder. Also, the 411 Hawk holds more powder than the 400 Brown Whelen, hence more velocity.

Info on the 411 Hawk is here:

http://www.z-hat.com/411%20Hawk.htm

It generates 2150 fps with a 400 grain bullet or 2690 fps with a 300 grain bullet. It can be had in a bolt action rifle or in converted Winchester/Browning Model 95 lever.

One downside is that it looks like Z-Hat custom (website above) is charging about $2500 for a plain Jane rifle. Maybe you could get a local smith to make one up cheaper.

[This message has been edited by 500grains (edited 09-04-2001).]

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another "boy" trying to do a "man's" job. There are a lot better cartridges available today to handle this niche including the Hawk.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Hmm,

I kinda go along with DB Bill's sentiments. I'm fond of the -06 case, and really like my 35 whelen ackley, I also think a 375 on the -06 case has something to offer, but thats as big as one can practicly go with the -06. When you look at the limited choices in 410 bullets, as well as the cost of a wildcat, why not just go with a 416 of some varient? I have Ken Howell's 416 reamer that uses a shortened 404 case, for those that just must have a std length action, and it will do anything the 416 rem mag does.

If you go to the trouble and exspense of custom dies, and a custom rifle, you might as well get some decent power in the mix. Same could be said for the 416 Taylor. You can always load the various 416's down to 400 whelen levels, but the 400 whelen will always be what it is, too little case for a 40 caliber bullet.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the data and comments.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Hey Snapper,

Don't get discouraged! Heck, between Paul H., and Ray Atkinson, my lil'416 Taylor gets no respect around here!

And they're my friends!

I say "build it"! Test it out, come back and let us know how it works.

Sure, there's always a cartridge that's better, but it ain't always the one you want to shoot. These guys here are just giving good advice, but probably not considering how much you like this cartridge idea.

BTW, I'm the same "BW" who posted the data on HuntAmerica. If you want the whole article, post a fax number, or e-mail me the number at bw_99835@yahoo.com

I'll try to get it scanned, and sent out to ya. But, I'd like to get your personal data back, to add to my website.

I know all these guys will be very willing to help you, if you decide to go this route.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote