Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RWS Bullet Performance Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would be very interested in forum members experiences with the RWS KS (Cone Point) on game. Penetration, Expansion, Pass Thrus, etc. I have a modest supply of the Cone Points in .375 and 7mm and I'm looking for data to assess possible performance on America's Deer-Class game. My .375 really likes the 299 Gr Cone Point with RE 19 and Norma 204 on the 100 Yd target if I can just get my shoulder to agree. Damn that thing jumps on you. I'm putting my first 162 Gr loads together in a .280 Rem AI. Anxious to see what the accuracy is. I've seen a phrase used on here that "Growing old ain't for sissies".
+1
Don Boyd

Posts: 78 | Location: Hampton, VA | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Don

Have not used the RWS cone points (kegel spitz) myself but did hunt and reload a lot with a German friend who used these in a variety of cartridges including various 7mms. They seem to open up and fragment a bit too much for my liking.

Also a rather informative article in Handloaders Digest 9th Edition by John A Reese Jr and party using a variety of firearms on safari in Africa. A couple of these were Mauser Model 60s in 8x68S with 223 grain RWS cone points (hollow points) in factory loads. Seemed to kill well but the observation was made that the RWS cone points and some 180gr DWM TUG soft points in a 308Win shed jackets quite easily.
The hunting party found Norma 160gr SPBT in a 7mm Weatherby Magnum and 180gr Noslers in a 308Win gave better results although the Normas did break up on occasions but gave great knock down. The party shot 50 odd animals so was a good trial of the cartridges and bullets they were using.

Posts: 3867 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
KS started as a nickel plated steel jacket bullet and it was a good bullet then...then somewhere on the way they changed the jacket into copper one and since I wouldn't use it with anything exceeding 2300 fps...VERY soft and fragmenting, veering off course (doe shot broadside behind the shoulder with exit on the front of the throat...red stag shot steep downwards - entry high on the shoulder - exit on the spine...were all too common when I used it in 8x68S going 3100+). Accuracy - bring it on - VERY accurate even in factory loadings.

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I have used a lot the 162 grs KS bullet in my two 7x57. At around 2700 fps muzzle velocity. In my experience this bullet behave like the Hornady Interlock Spire Point bullet. Good bullet but nothing special.

Regards

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your response.

Posts: 78 | Location: Hampton, VA | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 299 grain cone points in my 375 H&H and found them quiet soft and they slip their jackets sometimes.

Posts: 55 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7 mm cone points are pretty "soft" so it's probably not the best hunting bullet for a 280AI. In my 6,5x57 mm however, I have used them a lot on roe deer with great pleasure and they weren't soft at all (maybe because RWS also loads them for a 6,5x68). No idea how they perform in a .375
The cone points are very accurate indeed but also pretty expensive for a simple cup and core bullet. In Germany they cost about 30% more than a Partition, and about the same as TTSX which are far better hunting bullets in my opinion.

Posts: 98 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I use 127grn Cone Points in 6.5x57 and find them great on Fallow deer size game. Vary rarely will they exit and they open up well.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote