THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    375 Hornady Bonded DGX opinions?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Hornady Bonded DGX opinions? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
Has anyone used these on anything recently? I know the original DGX was trash, but I see they're now steel jacketed and bonded.

I just picked up a .375 Ruger for a brown bear hunt next year, and don't feel like reloading for it.

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
The original DGX might have suffered from being too hard to expand, but they have always been steel, and I think bonded

accurate bullet, I like shooting pigs with them

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
The original DGX might have suffered from being too hard to expand, but they have always been steel, and I think bonded

accurate bullet, I like shooting pigs with them

The earlier DGX bullets were not bonded. The early ones weren't too hard to expand. They would come apart with the lead completely separating from the jacket.

On my first Zim hunt in 2008, my PH had just shot a leopard in full charge at about 5 yards. 500 gr. old style DGX in his 458 Lott. He wore that recovered bullet around his neck as a good luck charm. There was no jacket and the remaining lead was a smashed up chunk. From a thin skinned cat!! Imagine poking a buff with that soft piece of junk!!!

Probably perfect for pigs tho. Just not buff IMHO.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
If you want the bear to charge shoot him with a DGX, use Swift A-Frames for the rest.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Thanks for informing me guys ... i don't love being wrong, but i hate not being corrected!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today's DGX is fine and will likely out-penetrate a TSX.

PHIL SHOEMAKER (famed Alaskan guide for big bears, etc, author) used a 500gr DGX - bonded (expanding) on a big African Cape buff from his .458 Win (Ole Ugly) and dropped it right there from a frontal shot under the boss. He highly endorses them.

In my tests of the same 500gr DGX - bonded/ .458 vs several others in very tough media, it out-penetrated the others by a significant margin including a 550gr Woodleigh Weldcore and a 450gr A-Frame. It expanded to .905" and retained 63% unfired weight. The media was to simulate bone.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob!

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

Drop me a line on the private channel, if you don't mind.

I'd rather use a Swift, given a choice.

JvW

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
Today's DGX is fine and will likely out-penetrate a TSX.

PHIL SHOEMAKER (famed Alaskan guide for big bears, etc, author) used a 500gr DGX - bonded (expanding) on a big African Cape buff from his .458 Win (Ole Ugly) and dropped it right there from a frontal shot under the boss. He highly endorses them.

In my tests of the same 500gr DGX - bonded/ .458 vs several others in very tough media, it out-penetrated the others by a significant margin including a 550gr Woodleigh Weldcore and a 450gr A-Frame. It expanded to .905" and retained 63% unfired weight. The media was to simulate bone.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Sounds like they're much improved Phil. Still the early advertisements when everyone knew they fragmented (core leaving jacket) leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a quantity of .375 cal, 300 gn, DGX bullets, all pulled from Hornady factory .375 Ruger ammo. I haven't shot any game with these, only paper targets. My intention was / is to work up a compatible load for my own .375 Ruger. Initial range results were a bit discouraging with no load indicating potential after a couple of sessions. I weighed all the remaining bullets I have and found probably more weight variance than other makers bullets of the same weight. I will continue for now with load development but expect it maight take a bit of work to find an acceptable load.
As a comparison the first load I worked up for my .375 Ruger was with some old Hornady RN 220 gn bullets. Only took a couple of range sessions to find the load I settled on. Those bullets in my rifle shoot very well indeed.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
I have a quantity of .375 cal, 300 gn, DGX bullets, all pulled from Hornady factory .375 Ruger ammo. I haven't shot any game with these, only paper targets. My intention was / is to work up a compatible load for my own .375 Ruger. Initial range results were a bit discouraging with no load indicating potential after a couple of sessions. I weighed all the remaining bullets I have and found probably more weight variance than other makers bullets of the same weight. I will continue for now with load development but expect it maight take a bit of work to find an acceptable load.
As a comparison the first load I worked up for my .375 Ruger was with some old Hornady RN 220 gn bullets. Only took a couple of range sessions to find the load I settled on. Those bullets in my rifle shoot very well indeed.

Funny this.

The worst bullets in weight variation I have tried were the Winchester Fail Safe.

Over 4 grains in a box of 24 of 140 grains!!

They also shot very poorly in my tests.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66988 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:

Were these the old, non-bonded DGX bullets?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
7 years ago Butch Searcy loaded up 10 boxes of 450-400 ammo for me for my 450-400. Both softs and solids. All of the loaded bullets are Hornadys. I've shot numerous African critters with them, including 6 cape buffalo and never had a problem with any of them. I also hunt with various bullets from Nosler, Winchester, Remington, Sierra, Federal, Weatherby, Barnes, Trophy Bonded, Swift, etc. etc., in my other African calibers, so I can speak truthfully from my experience with them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:

Were these the old, non-bonded DGX bullets?

I believe they are of recent manufacture, so probably the bonded variant ... ?
The ammo came in these packets:

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photo.

The bonded DGX bullet and ammo packages prominently state "BONDED" on the labels.

Looks like two of the four packages you show in the photo are bonded and two are not.

I have some of the non-bonded ammo and use it only for target practice.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael one box is the dgs not dgx, dgs is for solid.

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. I can read.

Apart from that one, the rest, numbering four, all appear to be softs.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The top box says "CUSTOM" with the old 300gr RN that existed prior to the DGX (bonded expanding) and DGS (solid) which are listed as for "Dangerous Game" - different than the "CUSTOM" box that's NOT promoted for "dangerous" game. Only the DGX is bonded.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. My point is simply that even if the label states "DGX," one cannot be certain that the bullets are bonded unless the label also includes the word "BONDED."

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a Cape buff a few years ago with a 400 gr. DGX in my .416 Taylor handgun. He was facing me. I shot him at the base of the neck. He dropped, never moved. The bullet was recovered about 2/3 the way thru the body expanded perfectly to .65".
Killed a few groundhogs & deer with it. No recovery!, but awesome performance.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 250 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote