Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Talkeetna Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Howdy Gents,

Has the Kimber Talkeetna .375 H&H been discontinued or something? I don't see any for sale anywhere.

I might get invited to an elk/moose/bear hunt in Canada this fall if another guy drops out. I thought the Talkeetna might be a good rifle, as would a Kimber Montana in .338 WinMag. Can't find one of those either.

Thanks,

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see both listed on their web site:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/rifles/

Perhaps a call to inquire availability and then have a dealer order for you.

(914) 964-0771 ext 267

I read a few discouraging words about sketchy Kimber quality. No personal experience, except to see they do look very nice. And the light long action (what ever they call that) feels and looks really sweet.

I imagine fall would be enough time to check it out.

Talkeeta in 375HH is an 8 lb gun, 24 in barrel with magazine capacity of 4. Not bad. For the $$$ involved, they might agree to give you a 22" bbl?

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
just fair notice .. there's been something like SIX kimber companies.

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to classified and a posting for a 375 SS Mod 70 from New guy.
This gun has quite a lot done to it and is priced right. The stock and bottom metal alone are over $1K.
I would take it over a Kimber any day (IMO)

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Winchester. I have a 375HH, in fact. But PS is looking at Kevlar synthetic 8 pound gun.

It will be interesting to see if the new Winchester wants to compete in that space. That is with Ruger Alaskan and this Kimber.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Howdy Gents,

Has the Kimber Talkeetna .375 H&H been discontinued or something? I don't see any for sale anywhere.

I might get invited to an elk/moose/bear hunt in Canada this fall if another guy drops out. I thought the Talkeetna might be a good rifle, as would a Kimber Montana in .338 WinMag. Can't find one of those either.

Thanks,

I would look at new Ruger 'Alaskan?' in .375 Ruger & Hornady. It's Hogue stock is good and bad. It's good because it offers good grip but it's bad because it and recoil pad tends to hang
up on clothing. Not bad rifle at half cost of the Kimber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What I have learned on AR:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place to get a steak dinner? is…you really want pork chops.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. The laws of physics do not apply to firearms in that there is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges and certain cartridges are so powerful that their kinetic energy can knock a big game animal off its feet but not knock the shooter who fired the cartridge off their feet.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified so it can carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and a detachable box magazine both use mechanical latches, only the floor plate latch is reliable regardless of the fact that almost every modern military rifle in the world uses a detachable box magazine including those chambered in 50 BMG.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact that it is the basis of the US Marine Corp M40 sniper rifle for over 40 years with no changes to the action or extractor and the choice of more military sniper units and law enforcement agencies than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR, and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting game that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (despite the fact most safaris take place in the winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. It is not the size of the ding in the gun's finish that matters but whether or not the ding occurred in the safe or in the field because safe dings are okay but field dings are worse.
10. In general, those who have time to make close to a 1000 posts a year on AR, know more about hunting and shooting than people who make their living in the hunting and shooting industry and have typically spent 150 days in the field or at the range each year for the last two decades.

A classic example, for this AR signature.

Sorry, I could not help it.
sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 is a great rifle. Matter of fact about month ago I seen stainless one with gray kevlar reinforced stock iron sights muzzle break in cal .416 Remington. At $950 it stayed on used rack for less than a week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paolo9,5x73:
Remington 700 is a great rifle. Matter of fact about month ago I seen stainless one with gray kevlar reinforced stock iron sights muzzle break in cal .416 Remington. At $950 it stayed on used rack for less than a week.

Make sure you weld the bolt handle, replace the recoil lug, add a Sako extractor etc.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
There is someone on Gunbroker who claims to have the 338 Montana in stock.

GunsAmerica has a 338 M-8400 listed.

Looks like 338 Fed and 325 WSM are more available for some reason. Confused

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my kimber.
Good Luck,
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents.

New Guy's Winchester was an outstanding deal, that's for sure, and whomever bought it got a great deal.

I will look at Gun Broker. I was just sorta surprised Cabela's has had no Talkeetna's for a long time.

I do like Ruger rifles and have considered the .375 or even the .416 Alaskans, it certainly seems to be a good wet weather rifle.

I have a Dakota in .375 H&H but it isn't the sort of wood that I would like to get wet since it has very nice stock. I will for sure hunt with the Dakota in Zimbabwe where it is nice and dry.

As for Remington, I will say this, they make a damn accurate rifle, but I want only Mauser actions or one of its derivatives. I had a Remington in .375H&H and my extractor lasted five days, and I agree with Ryan's advice on Remingtons. I understand all machines can break, but I've never had any of my Mausers, Winchesters, Kimbers, or Rugers let me down.

Thanks again for the info.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a Kimber Talkeetna (.375H&H stainless/synthetic) at
www.whittakerguns.com
for only
$1729.99
Give a call, Mon. through Sat. 9am-6pm CST, if interested: 270-229-0140
You can have it in about 3 days if you want.

They also have Dakota M76 Travelers in .375H&H + 7mmSTW-combo on the shelf,
and some coming in .416Rigby + .338Lapua-combo, soon.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, That's a good price. They were $1,899 when I saw them for sale.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP, Good find. All the sources I usually use were out.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
RIP,

Thanks,

Wow, a .416 Rigby and .338 Lapua. Now that's a great combination right there.

Thanks for the lead on the Kimber.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just bought one and should be in my hands in less than a week.
hello moose and brown bear.
W. dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just picked up my talkeetna today.
One word. AWESOME.
Cant wait to shoot it.
W.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have seen Talkeetnas sitting on the racks in Alaska gun stores collecting dust, when the Ruger Alaskans are flying off the racks. Perhaps it's because the Ruger's are half the price of the Kimber.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:

Kimber probably can't make them fast enough after the glowing review in the March '09 American Rifleman, when Mark Keefe defined his 375 H&H loaner as a stopping rifle, even though the actual hunter was equipped with a 458 Lott. Praise like that was undoubtedly worth thousands of extra sales.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:

Kimber probably can't make them fast enough after the glowing review in the March '09 American Rifleman, when Mark Keefe defined his 375 H&H loaner as a stopping rifle, even though the actual hunter was equipped with a 458 Lott. Praise like that was undoubtedly worth thousands of extra sales.

Is this the article

http://www.americanrifleman.or...e.aspx?id=1693&cid=1

one of us
posted Hide Post
Exactly.

quote:
The problem bull was taken by Kimber's Dwight Van Brunt with a Caprivi chambered in .458 Lott, and I followed with a camera and the slung Talkeetna for most of the stalk. The Caprivi is a light rifle for a .458 Lott, weighing about a pound and a half more than the Talkeetna, but under the blistering Namibian sun, I was grateful to be carrying the lightest weight stopping rifle present.

Who wouldn't crave one after that glowing review?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
Love my 8400 in 25-06. Drives nails w/ about anything you put down it. Best handling rifle I own.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a hammer to drive nails. $17.99 at Home Depot. The parakeet is about twice what a nice CZ costs, and the CZ not only holds two more rounds, it has a true magnum length action. The Kimbers are cut back like an old Remmie 721 series. Glitter costs waaaaay too much these days.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of the local gunsmiths I use have anything good to say about the Kimbers even though they get some work fixing them up.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at a Kimber 375 H&H closely. You have to push the round in almost like an 1895 Win. Rounds have to be pushed in and back almost under the receiver. It's a standard length mag action that has been modified to fit the big 2.850" cases.
Just not very fast to reload,

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kimber is better handling rifle then the CZ and speed of reloading in .375 hunting rifle isn't all that important. I suspect that is why military rifles designed for most dangerous "game" on earth have 20 to 40 round magazines.
That $1730 tag seems pretty reasonable for what one gets in this previously unissued US made rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, and redheads are more dynamic in bed than brunettes.
Handling is about 90% subjective.

The Kimber in 375 H&H is a marginal design, designed to produce a true big bore cartridge without spending the time to manufacture a true magnum length action. That, so they can stand with the big boys and say "We got one too...".

If you have ever hunted dangerous game speed of reloading can save or cost you your life.

Military rifles are select fire and have large capacity magazines so the shooter can point the weapon in the general direction of the enemy and "spray and pray". The ones designed to kill a designated target more than a hundred yards away consistently with one shot are bolt action.
Make a note, people are much easier to kill than most big game animals.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho, sir, on those occasions upon which you get something exactly right, you don't f**k around.

+1.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Kimber website magazine holds four cartridges. There are many rifles in this caliber made on standard long action including those from: Holland & Holland, FN, Sako, Winchester...... It's time to congratulate this fellow on purchase of fine American sporting rifle. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cant wait to shoot mine, and cant wait to use it for moose and brown bear.
Fellas, lighten up, nobody is forcing you to buy one. dancing
I think for the majority of people, you either love kimber rifles, or you heard it from somebody that heard it from thier cousin that doesnt like it.
To me, this is my second and not my last.
Good Day Sirs. sofa
W.Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I happen to own 3 Kimber of Oregon model 89's. I was told years ago they are suspect quality. I have found them very fine guns. A 7mm mag and 338 shoot lights out and fit me like a glove. recently acquired a 375 that am beginning to put some finishing touches on and I suspect it will follow along just like the other two.
I bet you will be very happy with your acquisition. Good luck on your hunts!

EZ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
eezrider,

you are talking a whole different animal there. Those rifles were fantastic. I owned one in 505 Gibbs. Let's see you stuff a couple of those in the new Kimbers.

The new one is a compromise, it was not one of the original design parameters. They wanted a trim, lightweight non-DG hunting rifle.

Try the drill.
Place two rounds in your left hand. Turn the timer on; load one, fire it and load the second one and fire it.

No crying when you compare times to a CZ 375 H&H.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ (458 Lott) God I hope I never have to reload it. It holds 6 down with one up the spout. If 7 rounds out of that cannon will not kill something. I am not reloading, I am climbing a tree; a TALL tree! (LOL) Good thing about the CZ (mega magazine).
My point is that at one time the 89's were poo-poo'd as well. I have been pleased with mine.
I realize the new Kimber is a different company and gun. Sometimes ones experience may not be the same as anothers.
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
eezrider,

you are talking a whole different animal there. Those rifles were fantastic. I owned one in 505 Gibbs. Let's see you stuff a couple of those in the new Kimbers.

The new one is a compromise, it was not one of the original design parameters. They wanted a trim, lightweight non-DG hunting rifle.

Try the drill.
Place two rounds in your left hand. Turn the timer on; load one, fire it and load the second one and fire it.

No crying when you compare times to a CZ 375 H&H.

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out here the 89's were well received, and highly coveted in the big calibers. Still are.

Congratulations on owning three, wish I still had the 505 Gibbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS,

They made that 89 in a drop box style in 505, 416 Rigby and 375 H&H. I have never seen a 505 or 375 for sale. Plenty of 416's. I would like to find a 375.

EZ
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Out here the 89's were well received, and highly coveted in the big calibers. Still are.

Congratulations on owning three, wish I still had the 505 Gibbs.