THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Three Nine Five H&H: It lives!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Three Nine Five H&H: It lives! Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Can't find my digital camera! I'll have to borrow one and take pics of my Ruger M77 MkII lefty in .395 Max and the Ruger #1 in .395/.400NE.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max,
Please do find that camera. tu2
Here is the muzzle comparison between my .395 Ruger Max (left) and .395 H&H (right), both built by Rusty McGee:

And while I am at it, here is a new Ruger No.1 with a .395-caliber barrel. I picked it up at Hilltop Gun Shop this AM, Rusty McGee Gunsmith.
It is 42.5" long, same as a bolt action with 22" barrel, weighs 9 pounds even, as shown. Heavy 26" barrel suits the Ruger No.1 well. Muzzle diameter is 0.710":

Neat shim under the front of the Ruger quarter rib,
turned from a cylinder of steel, inside and outside contoured then cut for a perfect fit,
of the rib from a .416 Rigby's fatter barrel
with new screws and studs:

Front sight (gold patridge/sourdough) will need some filing at the range to get elevation right with an NECG peep sight:

Barrel band sling base is better attached than Ruger factory version:

The last two pictures show the amount of epoxy needed to nicely fill in the gap between forearm and barrel, glass bedded.
This is a heavy .395 barrel, but it is much slimmer than the original .416 Rigby barrel:

If anyone cares what chambering this is, the caliber stamp is vaguely seen in the last photo above, left side of barrel near reciever. Wink

Hint:
This rifle will tide me over until I have the original, very first .395 rifle of mine reworked.
The barrel from that one (same heavy contour as on the Ruger No.1 above) will be removed,
and it's length shortened by lopping off the heavy end, and rethreading to fit a CZ action.
It will then be rechambered for same cartridge, and dropped into a CZ Kevlar stock by B&C.

The leftover Dakota 76 Action, in MPI stock (fiberglass boat restoration by me) will get a "new" barrel that used to be a "404/.338 Lapua Magnum,"
that has fired only 20 shots so far.
This chamber will be punched out to 2.900" brass length using the .395 Tatanka reamer with 404 Jeffery pilot,
then the 404 Jeffery reamer will be used to finish up the neck and throat.

Changing the .416 Rigby shoulder to 20 degrees increases the case capacity versus the horrible 45-degree-shouldered Rigby. Wink
"Improved." thumb
Necking up from .416 to .423-caliber gives internal ballistic advantage via "The Bore Law."
"Improved Plus." thumb thumb

This cartridge in the works might be called the 404 Tatanka,
or 404 Rigby,
or .423/.416 Rigby 20-Degree Shoulder
or .423/.338 Lapua Magnum Long
or 404/.416 Rigby Improved Plus aka ... wait for it ...
404 RIP

A guy named "Bo" did a .416/404 Jeffery long ago and called it the ".416 Tatanka."
I did not know about that when I named the ".395 Tatanka."

Calling a wildcat the "404 Tatanka" will not confuse me, but I can't vouch for Bo.
I better call it the 404 RIP. animal

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
RIP,
Thanks for the pics. Have been looking for my camera the past week without any luck. May have to buy a new one. Everyone has been telling me that my four-year-old digital is out-dated. Roll Eyes
I wish you great luck in your current wildcat endeavors, but I think I am going with Michael on the .475 B&M. Now, don't think it will take the place of my .395s. Never. Just wanted a bigger "gun."
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Max,
Cool! .475 B&M, very cool! Cool
If the B&M line had been around 10 years ago, I would probably not have gone down the road I have followed.
The .458 B&M was my pick. SSK's Brian Alberts did a wonderful job of it.

After the 404 RIP,
all that interests me now is the .50 B&M Alaskan on a Marlin! dancing

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote