Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.470 bullet puller Login/Join

one of us
posted
I discovered you can save the $200 RCBS wants for a special bullet by having your gunsmith ream 17/1000 out of a .458 collet.
Then you can use the normal press bullet puller which is relatively inexpensive. It works very well, and the idea can probably be used for some of the other larger calibers.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 05 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually you can use a 458 bullet puller as is for the 470.....the 416 for the 404's....

you may have a few rounds that won't give, just use your 470 seater in your inertia puller and knock them out....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I'm trying to visualize how a .470 seater die or stem would be coupled with an inertia bullet puller. Could you explain a little?

[/B][/QUOTE]

Posts: 75 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 05 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An RCBS hammer type bullet puller (green plastic)...toss the little 3 prong held together shell holder in the trash and use the shell holder for that caliber that you use to load ammo with. Use it the same as you would with the attachment you tossed..

Sorry if I confused you, sometimes I type faster then I function, an age malody that has to do with my give a sh--er being in neutral...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find a puller for my .500 so I took a piece of 4"x.5"x18" aluminum plate, drilled a large hole at one end with a holesaw and a 1/2" hole about 1 inch from that, then used my circular saw and cut right up the middle. I finished it by trimming excess metal 'till I have a "handle" at the opposite end from the holes.
To use I put a cartridge in the shellholder in the press, extend the cartridge through the hole at the top of the press where the die would be, grab the bullet with the 1/2" hole, squeeze the "handle" and pull the cartridge back down through the hole. Works perfectly.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Great idea Roger, getting my saw, and hole cutters out right now!

Ray, where did you find a RCBS inertia puller that is long enough to handle the 470 NE, or big enough to handle the oversize shell holder?

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I modified one of the several I had around here, sorry I had forgotten that...As usual one has to become a born again gun nut when he delves into the world of double rifles...Half the stuff I have is modified in one manner or another...

I glassed two of them together and use piece of bicycly innertube over the top and bottom.

At one time I softened a file trim die, bored it oversize, ran a 577 through it and used a pair of pliers (protedted with a leather piece) and down stroked the press..Worked fine on doubles, but was a pain....

Remember the days when you couldn't buy components for doubles or anything else..Had to make your own hand dies and they were better than anything on todays market...Uesd them in coordination with the 6 handmade cases make on a lathe...the late Tony Barnes was a genius at this stuff, and he lived close by.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
You guys are far too techical for me.
For my 500 I use a piece of pipe that I cut about 1" longer than the Cartridge and plugged the one end. I then use the shell holder to support/hold the cartridge in the pipe, invert it and whomp it on the bench a couple of times against the plugged end. Not the prettiest inertia bullet puller but works on my 500, a friends 470 and 416 flanged.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Dammit Nitro...that is just too simple!!

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro,
come on thats my invention, and besides mine is green clear plastic and its pritty-er than yourn, well until I wrap it in an intertube...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com