THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    "loctite" is my best friend....

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"loctite" is my best friend.... Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
a couple weeks ago, i was shooting my m70 .375 and noticed that i was all over the paper target at 50 yds.... the 1 piece leupold base wwas loose on the action.... i changed out to redfield 2 piece, loctited everything, and reset the scope... today i shot again, and everything seems to be holding....i was concerned about the redfield 2-7x, 20mm holding point-of-impact, but it seems to be doing ok....with federal factory 270 gr sp's i am 2" hi at 50 yds, and can tear paper with 3 shot groups....100 yds seems to open up to about 3"....but thats my eyesight, not the gun....i think i'm going to loctight all my scopes and bases down....if i ever want to remove, i can use a soldering iron for heat to make the loctite release....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2828 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As we used say in boat racing, "Loctite: use it, or kiss yer nuts goodbye. beer

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer JB Weld, epoxy, and a torch if I ever want to remove it. Much better. thumb

Only the base screws, never the ring screws.
And take the rifle out of the stock before applying heat to loosen base screws, of course.

If you epoxy the bases to the rifle, there is really no need to 8x40 the 6x48's.

Use silicone adhesive between scope and ring, wipe and peel it clean after it squishes out on tightening the ring screws. Check scope ring screws for tightness frequently, before and after any shooting, whenever possible, and never let them work loose.

Never use a one-piece base that only utilizes 3 of the four screw holes, on anything of .30 caliber or larger. BOOM

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talley rings and bases make the whole process much easier and less apt to come loose.

With the Redfield type, you are actually only holding the scope down with the front rings, and then even that may not be solid if the scope and rings have been removed a couple of times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you use Blue Loctite instead of the Red Loctite you can break it lose with a little extra pressure on the driver without resorting to heat.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jimatcat,was it you who installed the bases that became loose? Maybe someone just forgot to tighten a screw and there is no problem.This happened to me once with 400 dollar steyr manllicher detachable mounts.Years since then I've been installing my own scopes,switching them from rifle to rifle,useing Leopold mounts with no loctite and have never had a screw loosten.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i was the 1 that put a 1 piece base on a heavy-recoiling rifle.... now i'm using 2 piece redfield bases on my .338, 375, .416...all m70's...i shot the .375 about 20 times yesterday, everything seems to be staying put...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2828 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recommend you use the removable grade. I think it holds as good but you can "remove†it if you need to with out messing up the screws or slipping out of the screws because you have to use so much pressure and scratch something.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote