THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Loading blocks for Nitro Express rounds

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading blocks for Nitro Express rounds Login/Join

posted
Where do you get your loading blocks for the .470NE and .500NE rounds?

Do you make them yourselves?

A friend of mine has a new .500NE double, and I can't shoot it until he loads up some ammo!!!!!

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made my own for a .500 Jeffrey by using a drill press and a forstner bit. Try the link below to see the general idea. Size the bit to be just slightly larger than rim diameter and don't cut too fast. You can make the wood as fancy or as plain as you want, but I would suggest that you make the holes 1 inch or more deep. It will make the cases that much more stable. By doing it yourself, you can design the block to hold as many cases as you want.

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1010532848_13944+200

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Nice idea Dave!

<Pfeifer>
posted
I like making my own blocks using a spade bit (ie. "Irwin" type) and punch through the bottom just a bit with the center spike. The outer spur can be removed for a cleaner bottom if you like as well. This way any powder accidently spilled can be emptied out with a slight tap - without having to remove any of the cases from the block. I've lately gone to making some blocks for the larger cases out of cleaned up 2x4 material as the bores are deeper and the resultant block is heavier and doesn't feel so tipsy with the heavy cases in it. I really like these alot.

Just my .02 - Jeff P

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Dave Gullo at Buffalo Arms.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/

He is a world class Black Powder Cartridge
Shooter and also can supply you with brass for just about anything. I have liked the loading blocks that I got from them.

------------------
RC

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote