THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    How Are .375 and .366 North Fork Bullets For Shooting Buffalo

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Are .375 and .366 North Fork Bullets For Shooting Buffalo Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As the header states. How are North Fork SP .375 300 grain and .366 286 grain bullets for killing buffalo?
Any real in the field experiences?
4WD

Posts: 674 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a .375 H&H I've used North Fork SP 300 gn bullet to shoot 1 Cape Buff. No better or worse than my favourite Barnes TSX 300 gn, meaning, typically, it took several shots to do the job. I think Barnes penetrates better but nothing wrong with North Fork penetration and weight retention, at least in my example of 1. I will use North Forks again but will take loads with Barnes TSX as well.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4WD

The only issue I have had with NF's is that they have quite a bit of exposed lead at the tip which deforms easily in the magazine under recoil.

I had odd results on one hunt with them. They shot completely thru the base of a Cape buffalo's neck taking out the spine. On the lion on the same hunt at 35 yards the 300 NF entered behind the near leg but stopped under the skin after breaking the off leg. That surprised me as I've had 180 SAF shoot completely thru a lion.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I used a North Fork on one buffalo and it worked great.

In my 9.3 I thought the TSX's were to long and so I use Partitions and Woodleigh. I saw North Forks available in 9.3 and bought a bunch mostly based on good reviews here. Haven't loaded or shot any. Personally I wouldn't shoot the North Fork in the 375 because the TSX's are so great.

I recently bought a big bunch of North Forks for my 400 H&H since .411 bullets have been hard to come by. Haven't loaded or shot any of those either but I have very high expectations. In .411 I also have Hammer, CEB and Hornady bullets, to tell the truth I am most excited about the North Forks and if they shoot well will use them this fall on moose and bear here.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Another one and only Buffalo shot with the 300 Grain NF softpoint from my .375.. Worked fine on a broadside shot. It took out the heart and was found perfectly mushroomed under the skin on the offside. The Buff ran about 50 yds. and dropped.

My PH was somewhat skeptical of them when he first learned what I was shooting. He had never heard of NF bullets and asked me several times if I was sure they would work on a Buff. When he saw the recovered bullet he said "tell the guy who makes those bullets not to change a thing they're perfect."

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I field tested the North Forks for MIke some years ago, and I continued to use them up until about 4 years ago best I can recall..I mostly used them in 375, 9,3x62, 450-400, 404 Jefferys and a couple of buffalo with my 470, I could never tell any difference in the results on buffalo and hippo between the 375 and 9.3x62..I concluded they are as good a bullet as any I used and the full equal to Noslers, and woodleighs. You get a perfect mushroom 98% of the time with North Forks..but there are a lot of good bullets out there today and they all seem to work. the partition and the bonded core changed the game. You might try their cup points an expanding solid so to speak, I used them a lot and they work well on any thing..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have considerable experience with 350 grn .375 NF SP and CNS's. They are my preferred buffalo bullets for the .375 H&H. This weight of CNS (at 2350 fps) will invariably exit a big buffalo bull from side-on by for backing shot they give full body length penetration while creating permanent wound channels double caliber in size.

Posts: 151 | Location: Southern Africa | Registered: 30 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doctari505:
Have considerable experience with 350 grn .375 NF SP and CNS's. They are my preferred buffalo bullets for the .375 H&H.

This weight of CNS (at 2350 fps) will invariably exit a big buffalo bull from side-on by for backing shot they give full body length penetration while creating permanent wound channels double caliber in size.

Doctari,
You have lots of experience shooting Buffalo. Had to reread. I believe you do not mean “CNS” but “CPS” or the “Cup Point Solid”.

4WD

Posts: 674 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote