Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3-06 Login/Join

<Robin>
posted
Would a 9.3-06 be about the same as either the 9.3x62 mauser or 9.3x64?

------------------
Robin
from Tucson, AZ

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robin:
Would a 9.3-06 be about the same as either the 9.3x62 mauser or 9.3x64?

I think it would be the 9,3x62 as the cases are the same. The case of the 9,3x64 is fatter.

The .30-06 is in metrics called the 7,62x63, and perhaps the most correct would be the 9,3x63. This caliber is since long ago obsolete, but in the beginning of the 20th century some rifles in that caliber were built in Germany.

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the 9.3x06 would be about a 100 FPS short of the 9.3x62...I say this because with 06 brass reformed to 9.3x62 thats about what I lose....I would suggest a 9.3x62 Improved. That should get the job done a little better.

My Idea of a 9.3 wildcat would be the 9.3/338..

the 9.3x64 is a whole nuther ballgame, its a 375 H&H equivelent with more sectional density and less cross section.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x62 might be described as a upnecked, improved ( less body taper ) �06 case with the shoulder moved forward, too. I find the 9.3�s body taper a good compromise between case capacity and reliability.

IIRC if You want to make 9.3x62 brass from �06, You have to neck it up to next larger caliber ( .375?? ) , form a small shoulder with the sizing die and then fireform.

From what I�ve heard: buy Lapua brass.

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

You have been reading my mail. I have been thinking of a 9.3 on a 338 case for some six months or so. I was going to ask you about it before I went to Africa this last August. Now I had to wait until I got things sorted our and paid for from the safari. What kind of velocity do you think one would get from this wildcat? It seems to me that using 358 Norma Mag brass would be easy although more costly than 338. I have a pre 64 Winchester action that would be great for this wildcat. I think that I will build one! Thanks, HOOT

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
There is an article in the 17th edition of Handloader's Digest by Don L. Henry about a fellow named Norman Tonn. He has 2 wildcats in 9.3(.366). One is based on the .348 Winchester and the other on the .338 Winchester. They are called the "9.3 USA" and the "9.3R North American".

<Cobalt>
posted
A 9.3 based on a .338 case for a wildcat? It's amazing to me how people keep re-inventing the wheel. Take this "wildcat" and turn off the belt and a shade of the rim and you have the 9.3x64 developed in the early 1900's. Easy to do with .458 brass. Cobalt

<Robin>
posted
All, thanks for the help. I fell a bit less ignorant now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
aHunter: Are you sure about that Lapua reference? I can't seem find anything that says they make this brass. Lapua doesn't list it on their internet site. I think Norma makes it. If you or anyone else has a source for this brass, for instance a retailer, I'd sure like to know who it is. This stuff is really hard to find.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can�t tell You where to get brass, I only know Lapua makes it. I have some boxes of ammo from Lapua waiting for me at my gunsmith. From what I hear, on German/Swiss forums, too, Lapua brass must be great. And the talk is definitely about 9.3x62, too.

I intend to sight my gun in for the Lapua ammo. For sighting in iron sights and scope ( first tries ) I use the single box of PMP that I got. Will start reloading with that box, too. Another ( cheap ) ammo source might be Sellier&Bellot, but their brass�s reputation is not so good as Lapua�s. Have You tied Winchester? They market in their European line 9.3x62. Seems to me very close to the loads Sako markets in Europe. But I have actually seen the Win loads in 9.3x62, although the price is ridiculous ( $ 66.7 per 20!! )

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
aHunter: you arre right. i found Lapua brass at Huntington's for $64/100. incidentally, that is pretty close to the prices i found for loaded rounds in a box of 20. this is definitely a round to reload for. thanks for the help.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

<AKI>
posted
Just bought 100 Lapua cases in bulk from www. riistamaa.fi. BR quality as allways. Herearound it�s difficult to find anything but Lapua brass. I don�t complain, however. AKI