THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Weaver K1.5 on .416 Rigby?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver K1.5 on .416 Rigby? Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would like to put a scope on a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby. I have an old early 70's K1.5 that seems about right (haven't checked the eye relief yet). I was considering buying the bestest most strongest scope I could find for the beast, but I have heard recently that some have been successful using the old Weavers on the heavy stuff. Anyone out there have experience using the old Weavers with .416 Rigby or sharper-recoiling cartridges, on rifles starting off under ten pounds before mounts and scope?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would guess this scope to be about a tough as you can buy. I have one on a short-range assualt-type rifle, and there's truly not much magnification there. You might be happier with a K2.5, but the 1.5 beats the Dickens out of iron sights.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that you will be quite happy with the weaver on your .416. I've had various weaver K- series on several hard kicking rifles with never a hint of trouble. They are a very stout all steel scope with brass adjustments. The only thing I would worry about in the sighting department in the mounts. It sounds to me like you have the scope part taken care of.

------------------
JR

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the weaver until you compare the optics with the newer scopes. Over the years most of my weavers have been replaced with burris and leupolds. The weavers worked fine but the optics just aren't up to todays standards. Buy a nice 1x4 leupold you well like it better.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the answers. Will use CZ hardware, and let you know how it holds up.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that one does not need great optics to shoot a 1800 pound buffalo at 25 yards..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a question for you all about these really low power scopes. i have a Burris 1.75-5 mounted on a Marlin rifle. when it i sset on 1.75 power, i can see almost half of the barrel's length in the field of view. as you know, the barrels on Marlins are pretty short. a longer barrel would be much more pronounced in the scope's view. personally, i find this situation pretty annoying.

do i have a scope with an unusually large field of view, or is this phenomenon typical when using a low magnification such as 1.5 or 1.75??

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I have the Burris 1x (no magnification) Scout mounted in the forward position on my Hannibal. I can see everything too. I believe this is endemic to low power scopes which is not a bad thing at all.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote