Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako 375 H&H carbine Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody have an opinion on these rifles? I've had my eye on one for a while in a local gun shop. Are they decent shooters? Recoil and noise too brutal? Looks like a good thing to chase the elk around with.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's an article in an old Gun Digest (maybe mid 80's) in their 'one good gun' section I think. Author raves about the gun, says recoil and muzzle blast are indistinguishable from his other 375's. Very complimentary. Hope you can chase up a copy.

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have my own .375 H&H in a BRNO 602 action -- currently with the ugly Bavarian-style stock :-(.

One day I was out shooting with a couple of friends each of whom also had .375 H&H's. The first was a custom rifle on a BRNO action, shortened barrel and restocked with a nice straight high-comb stock. The other rifle was a SAKO carbine with a MacMillan (I think, could have been Rimrock) stock.

In spite of its light weight, I thought that the Sako carbine was the easiest to hit with because it had a really great trigger. I didn't notice that my "hunchbacked" stock had any more recoil, contrary to many posts in this forum about how that stle of stock accentuates recoil. However, this may be because my brains are already too scrambled to notice recoil in the .375-class anyway!

I'd sure buy a Sako carbine if the opportunity arose. Read Stefan's comments somewhere on this site regarding a Sako action -- he advises Sako 2-piece scope mounts and he knows what he is talking about.

jpb

[This message has been edited by jpb (edited 09-22-2001).]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote