Tools

BAD HORNADY AMMO:BEWARE Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
200 Yards?

I guess it would depend on the type of bullet then. Some bullets are designed to fragment and inflict maximum damage inside an animal while others are designed to retain weight and penetrate deep. What bullet was it?

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some new bullet with the red tip.

Those designed to fragment are not the best on hogs.

Posts: 12101 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Lots of red tipped bullets. The hog die?

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I thought I said before that he dropped the hog but it didn't exit.

Exiting is a pretty big deal to us here in the south. It won't take an animal long to be lost if one can't blood trail them.

Posts: 12101 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Yes, I thought I said before that he dropped the hog but it didn't exit.

Exiting is a pretty big deal to us here in the south. It won't take an animal long to be lost if one can't blood trail them.

Perhaps he should have used a different bullet then but it sounds to me like it did the job. Larry I appreciate you had issues with Hornady but you are grasping at straws here! All manufacturers offer bullets of different construction for different results. Some people like bullets that shed weight and fragment and do loads of internal damage and some like bullets that retain weight and pass through. Obviously the Pigman chose one that did loads of internal damage. Hard to argue with a dead hog.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Saeed:
I am surprised that any of my friends here actually use factory ammo for hunting.

AMEN!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Saeed:
I am surprised that any of my friends here actually use factory ammo for hunting.

AMEN!

Truth!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Kind of like the Remington Safari Grade 375 H&H ammo loaded with 300g A-Frames, for my 500 Jeffery handloads only, 570g TSX's at 2300 fps ... Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4773 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Except for the use of Northforks I used factory ammo loaded with partitions in Africa. I leave unused ammo with the PH.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their .500 NE DGS were extremely accurate in my double. However, I love the CEB's.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 201k:
Being a professional hunter, I recently did a Lion hunt using my trusted favorite 375 H&H I have used for the last 30 years. I have heard a lot about the Hornady 375 GMX bullet and decided to try it. Bought several boxes, some good some bad. Had some where the case at the neck literally blew apart completely around the neck and disintegrated. Couldn't believe it. Damn sure didn't use the rest of the boxes. Glad I discovered it before I got in a dangerous situation. I discussed it at DSC with Steve Hornady at DSC. Thought he might want to know. He was amazingly indifferent, bit I persued it. He reluctantly took the lot number and a piece of the brass. He said he would get back with me. Finally at the show he did and they acknowledged the had a bad run of ammo, unaware of that caliber but he told me of two other large bores they were aware of. I thought they would be appreciative to find out. He simply said, I'll send you some ammo and I haven't heard from Steve Hornady since. I must state, they are not one of my sponsors and I don't have tv show. I have used Hornady all my life, but when my life depends on it, I don't want to wonder if the the damn shells are going to blow up. No more Hornady for me. Sorry for bad spelling and grammar, I'm just a PH.
BEWARE!

Define "recent", being that DSC was LAST January so the lion hunt was previous to DSC, ergo LAST YEAR. Just for the record, but I'm glad to see PHs can afford lion hunts.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A client of mine recently showed up in camp with 375 ELD ammo with Hornady 270gr spire points. I think they were interlock but the box did not state the exact type of bullet. The PH at first flatly refused to hunt with him if he used Hornady, based on his experience with "DGX" bullets. Well client shot some PG including Eland, Giraffe with the interlocks and the PH grudgingly said they were AOK.

I personally shot a buffalo facing me with a 375 DGX and it went all the way into the rumen but not before doing terminal damage. Buff went down in 10 seconds.

I also shot an elephant with a DGS on that same hunt. Same result, elephant ran 50 and fell over. Thru the heart.

A PH I know shot an elephant with the Hornady 458 solid "supermag" ammo which is supposed to be faster than regular 458. The solid deformed badly and penetration was very skew.

I heard that the early dgx/dgs bullets were no good, but that Hornady fixed them. That must have been a long time ago as these hunts were at least 8 years ago now. I suppose we should put some dates on these bullet stories.

Final note, my son shot a bunch of pg with the 154gr 7mm bullet loaded to about 2400. They all went down with one shot except wildebeest which ran 200 and then stood for a second shot, but I don't think it was necessary.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote