Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Lott pills?? Login/Join

posted
Ive just ordered a Ruger M77RSM MK II in 458lott along with 100 norma cases. Im planning on using this rifle for aussie buff later in the year. Can anyone reconmend a tough pill? Im only after one load for this rifle so I was thinking of using a 500gr expanding projie??
Also, wld a 2-7x33 leupy be a good choice or should I be looking for a lower magnification?

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The woodleigh 500 gr softs will be fine.....................you could try the woodleigh solids to of you felt you needed them.

Nice choice of gun !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to answer the scope question..................I have a 2.5x compact leupold on my cz .458 lott, maybe that or the 1-4 leupold would be a better choice I think.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the North Fork softs.

www.northforkbullets.com

A 450 grain bullet is just dandy in the 458 Lott as it does not cramp powder capacity but still has the magic sectional density.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
I have one of your Ruger's(think highly of it I might add) and as mentioned, the Woodleigh 500 grain soft pts. seems to be highly regarded by those who have used them in the field. I have shot them for some practice rounds, not that many, but do shoot a lot of the Rem. bulk bullets (405gr jacketed soft point) for practice. Rifle shoots both very well indeed. I have a Leupold 1.4-5 on one of my Ruger RSM's and put a Nikon 1.5-4x on the Lott and so far so good and may well get another one. Good Luck with your Ruger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a pair of M77 Magnums chambered in .458 Lott. Both were MOA rifles. Handloads using Norma brass with Woodleigh, Barnes, and Hornady bullets ranging from 450-500 grains. One rifle was topped with the classic Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20 and the other wore a Nikon 1.5-4.5. I came away with an excellent opinion of the Nikon.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
Practice with 500gn Hornady Interbonds and hunt with woodleighs. Hornady are much cheaper here in the UK.

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
My favorite 500 gr. bullets for the 458 Lott are the Woodleigh Protected Points. At least in the U.S.A., the price difference between them and Hornadys isn't enough to make me choose the Hornadys over them. Since they're made in Austrailia, they should be even cheaper there.

I have a Leupold 2-7X scope with Talley quick detach rings on my CZ 550. For anything up to 100 yards, I would be happy with iron sites. If you're going to use your scope for very close hunting, I think a bit less magnification, like 1.5-4X would be better.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I gave Zimbabwean PH Mike Taylor some 550grn Woodleigh softs to try on Buff from his 458LOTT.
He said they really hit the Buff hard !
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote