THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    M70 Custom Shop in 450 Marlin -- Is this real?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 Custom Shop in 450 Marlin -- Is this real? Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have heard of some strange M70s but this one is right up there.

M70 in 450 Marlin

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Definitely an odd duck. For $3999, I'll have to pass.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could have had a .450M built on a M70 action by Clark Custom when they we're still putting them together about 4 years ago. They were doing them as "semi-custom" for about $1100. I opted for the Ruger 77 action instead.

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to ask. Why in the heck would you chose a turn bolt in a .450 Marlin over a .458 Win?

It doesn't make sense to me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
surestrike,
I think it is sort of like training wheels for a 45-70 shooter hoping to rebarrel to .458 WinMag someday. A transitional exercise from lever action to true DGR.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the 450 listed in Winchesters custom catalog last year but always wondered why anybody would want one. This gun pictured is a pretty nice gun but the caliber is all wrong IMHO.

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
remember, the 450 marlin is nothing but a low pressure load of the 458 american 2" ... which, about 40 years ago, was all the rage...

heh, let me stumble into a super cheapcheap WSM and I may very well put a 450 marlin on it... just to make it go bang

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at this for a cheaper alternative to the 458 SOCOM for a suppressed big bore bolt action. The brass, loaded ammo and dies are readily available, with full power ammo you are good to go for hunting in the US and it shouldn't be hard to get subsonic with 500 gr bullets without alot of empty case space. The advantage over the 458x2 is that you have cheap dies and factory ammo, although if you make your own 458x2 can be made from most H&H based brass. Since a local gunsmith has a 458 Marlin reamer this is was very attractive. Since then I have decided to just go 45 ACP for a suppressed bolt action "range toy" and am working on a De Lisle copy.

Editted for clarity

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told by a former Winchester employee, it is easy to make a 70 in 450 Marlin, WSM magazine box, short action rifle....450 Marlin. He should know, he made one for himself before he left.

Hogzilla here we come.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote