New
Find
Notify
Tools

more scope questions Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
There have been a couple threads going recently about scope selection for heavy calibers. I've been paying attention as many (most?) of you folks have a lot more experience than I when it comes to rifles greater than .375HH caliber.

The 2.5 Leupold is obviously held in high regard for big bores by many of you. But I haven't seen much mention of 30mm scopes. Please, school me on this subject (low powered 30mm scopes for large caliber/heavy recoil rifles).

Thanks in advance.

------------------
"shoot 'em if you got 'em!"

[This message has been edited by Matt Norman (edited 10-11-2001).]

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1.5x6x42mm Swarovski on my ltwt .375 with no problems...several of my friends have the Swarovski 1.25x4 on their really big kickers and haven't had any problems. My scope is mounted using the Leupold Dual-Dove Tail system but most of them have theirs in detachable mounts.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About the only advantage the 30mm tube offers over the standard 1" is that the windage and elevations adjustments can cover a greater range. The obvious disadvantage is that they weigh more. The added overall weight is usually not a problem on a big bore, but it can be a problem for the scope mount. The greater the weight of the scope, the greater its inertia, and therefore the stress on the mounts when fired. All things being equal, the lighter scope will stay in place better than the heavier one.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never had any recoil problems with the 375 H&H, as it is a mild kicking caliber and does not effect any good scope.....I use the 1.5x5 Leupold or 1x4 Leupold or 3X Leupold on mine.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 3-9 leupold on a 375 H&H and it is fine.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote