New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Hunting Rifles.. Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
Hi All ... I was trolling aroung on the web and stumbled on to the AHR site Has any one on here used these rifles and if so would you please comment !!!! Thanks ...gumboot...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 600 overkill that just came in. The gun is nicely finished and mine weighs 13.5 lbs with the x-brake. Safari Kid has had 2 of the 600 overkills, and hunted with both. There are several threads on AR and on Nitro Express forums showing his guns and some pictures of his hunts. There are several upgrades available and he has most of them on his guns. You should call Ed at AHR and dicuss with him. He won't be back in the shop untill Thursday. He is very easy to work with. Hope this helps. I have only been shooting with mine once and that was this past Sunday. The gun shot well.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I too Highly recommend AHR and Ed,the owner,who is a straight up guy! He has done a great job on my 2) 600s and is now making me another BIGGER bore! : )...and by the way,that is my 1st 600 on his website..."THOR"

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
In a quest to have the biggest I have begun pondering the 600 OK.... ?? Does it just duplicate the Nitro or is it a zoom zoom...Not that there is any thing wrong with the Nitro velocity.......... I called and talked to Ed and he didn,t even baulk at a 18.5 " barrel on the 500 AHR and the x Brake looks very good ... The rifles just look right .......Safarikid ,, if I may ask a dumb question ,,, Why 2 600 ok,s ? thanks ...... What brass is the 600 ok made on ??

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SafariKid--Is the bigger bore he is making
you the 700AHR? If so do do you have specs on cartridge case and is it going to be a bolt action? Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
The .600OK will beat the .600NE by 450fps with the same 900 gr bullet. Recoil is stout at that level of performance. AHR is a stand up operation. I invented the .600Ok and worked with Ed to develop it. I have the first one ever built.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I just don't get it. You guys discussing 600Ok, 500 AHR, and 700 AHR, 13.5 lb rifles, and 900 gr bullets, under the discussion title of American hunting rifles?

Far out !!! This is not about realistic hunting rifles, but something else. I think maybe you guys are nuts. It's a real probability?

I really think the administrator of this forum ought to have a separate category for this kind of discussion other than merely classing it with big bore. This is beyond that, into the realm of the absurd. Perhaps that should be a category unto itself - Absurd Big Bores. Perhaps Nutso Big Bores, or maybe Gonzo Big Bores.

I think it's OK, for those who get into this. We all have our catagory of what interests us in the shooting sport, but to group this class of firearm with the more serious and real sporting and big game hunting rifles is misclassified, and special interest.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...There is just something about the crash and roar of a truley large rifle............. I have only had 1 of them and its little compared to a 900 grain bullet at near 2400 fps...I need to turn my Lott into a 460 Whby....Just for training purposes...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kabl

The rifles mentioned, the 500 AHR and 600 OK, are hunting rifles and I used them for elephant and buffalo this past year.
I think this is the proper forum for these discussions as these are not pie-in-the-ski calibers, but proven calibers which can be ordered with a phone call, Smiler

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
AHR builds a solid rifle, and Ed is very knowledgable, helpful, and easy to work with.

After my first (and definately not last!) African Safari in 2005, I contacted Ed and had him build me a .375H&H. Fit and finish was excellent, as well as feeding, extraction, balance, etc.

Liked my first AHR DGR so well that I'm having Ed build me a .458 Lott. Should be done soon!

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dakota45056:
Kabl

The rifles mentioned, the 500 AHR and 600 OK, are hunting rifles and I used them for elephant and buffalo this past year.
I think this is the proper forum for these discussions as these are not pie-in-the-ski calibers, but proven calibers which can be ordered with a phone call, Smiler

Dak

Hunting rifles for Africa is different than American Hunting Rifles, and frankly IMHO, these are excessive for Africa too.

As far as ordering with a phone call, I believe rifles chambered in 50 BMG, and perhaps 20 mm can also be ordered with a phone call, but that doesn't qualify them as hunting rifles in the normal sense.

KB

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
AHR have built several rifles for me. I can and do recommend Ed's operation very highly.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kabluewy,

You're missing the point of the thread. The title may be American Hunting Rifles, but the thread isn't necessarily about hunting rifles for use in America. American Hunting Rifles (AHR) owned by Ed Plummer is the name of the company.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you are right, and they are quality guns, etc., but shooting one of these monstrosities has to be one of the qualifications for the nutzo fraternity.

There is a lot of something more (far more than testosterone can account for) involved in this than merely seeking a sport hunting experience, even though dangerous game may be the quarry.

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel it is a shooting experience, and
hunting, target, rock busting, shaking
loose the cobwebs, etc, are just an
addition to it.Ed.

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kabluey, you are right, some of us are just nuts for big bores. We like 2 bores, 4 bores, 700 nitroes,700AHr.,600 Overkills,700 H.E.,12g from Hell. Are they the most practical guns ? NO, but can they be used successfully with practice? YES. Some of us just like the big stuff. I don't think there is any thing wrong with that.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get all details in writing. I have a rifle with some details that I did not want and did not ask for, like an x brake. Royce

Posts: 75 | Location: Spring, Texas,USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Kableuey- It's always interesting to me to hear people tell me I don't need a 600HP car or a .600Ok rifle and those that own and use them qualify for being Nutso for having both. Seems like you and Diane Feinstein should not interbreed. Frankly, we could not care less what YOU think. Get it? comprehendo? Your obviously too dumb to understand what goes into these things and that its more than just writing a check. Some of us have actually hunted with these things and ENJOY them. Too bad you never will! Something you'd understand if you could take ten seconds away from your Burger king maxi-meal and THINK about it for a second. If you can't handle it go someplace else. We could not care less about your opinions. You redicule what you don't understand and that qualifies you as a moron!-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
There are some people who for some reason must Rabidly oppose what they don,t understand ......Its like a liberal opposeing killing predators.......Doesn,t make sense....,,, Worse than me calling 30 cal,s girl,s guns...... I may not understand why someone would want to ride a world class roller coaster .. But if someone does ,, great... Nuff of that..............Now , how light are the 500 AHR,s that people hunt with ......Royce , what caliber did you get ???? What is the parant case for the 600 OK ??? Thank you all very much....

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
Kableuey- It's always interesting to me to hear people tell me I don't need a 600HP car or a .600Ok rifle and those that own and use them qualify for being Nutso for having both. Seems like you and Diane Feinstein should not interbreed. Frankly, we could not care less what YOU think. Get it? comprehendo? Your obviously too dumb to understand what goes into these things and that its more than just writing a check. Some of us have actually hunted with these things and ENJOY them. Too bad you never will! Something you'd understand if you could take ten seconds away from your Burger king maxi-meal and THINK about it for a second. If you can't handle it go someplace else. We could not care less about your opinions. You redicule what you don't understand and that qualifies you as a moron!-Rob

Rob,
I don’t think I said that you don’t NEED, or have a right to ENJOY a .600OK, or whatever. That’s up to you to choose. I just said that I think you are nuts.

As far as ridiculing, or not comprehendo, or being dumb, etc., well the thing is that I think I do understand, and I’m just pointing out the obvious. When you guys discuss these cannons, straight faced, in the context of “American Hunting Riflesâ€, American and Hunting both being adjectives, that’s what I’m ridiculing.

Certainly they can be used for hunting, and certainly they can be used in America, some guys may actually think they need one, and they can be purchased with a phone call, but these rifles are more than that. It’s the “more than that†that I’m ridiculing. Actually taking one of these rifles on a hunting trip, or shooting some big mean or not-so-big-or-mean critter does not justify its existence. It’s the owner’s perceived want, need & joy that justifies it. I don’t want to speculate on what the “more than that†may be because that’s getting into areas like why Ted Nuggent may be psychopathic, for example. But, he is certainly an outdoor and hunting enthusist, so it's difficult to fault him for that. Who among us would turn down an opportunity to go hunting with him, if for no other reason than to watch him perform magic with his bow.

That’s why I suggested a separate discussion category, rather than mixing discussion of rifles like these in the same context as real and useful sport hunting rifles.

KB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdoggy700:
Kabluey, you are right, some of us are just nuts for big bores. We like 2 bores, 4 bores, 700 nitroes,700AHr.,600 Overkills,700 H.E.,12g from Hell. Are they the most practical guns ? NO, but can they be used successfully with practice? YES. Some of us just like the big stuff. I don't think there is any thing wrong with that.

Exactly 100%,

They don't need to be justified for any other reason.

This whole idea just struck me with the obvious silliness of "American Hunting Rifle". That's a zinger that I found difficult to let pass, even though I realize it's the name of a business.

KB

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
You're right. It should be "American Thumping Rifles".

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H.C.
posted Hide Post
KB,
What the heck are you thinking? You dream up more off the wall calibers than anyone I know, and get aggravated when I tell you that you are a nut. And here you are, doing the same thing. Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.

It's not a matter of justification of the rifle and the caliber, it's that you CAN have one, if you want it. Big Grin BOOM

So Many Guns, So Little Time!

Posts: 61 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
IMHO, KB, you are making a fuss about a silly bit of nomenclature.

It also seems foolish to argue about the apparent faulty organization of the forum. I very much like it, and the people here. Most of all, they'll tell you what they think in a straighforward (aka non-political) manner, and they actually know what they are talking about!

About the bigguns, I own a 458WM. Guess what? I am looking to get it rechambered in a larger caliber. Why? Because I feel like it.... and that is enough reason for me!!!

I must be crazy, therefore I am now stepping off the podium....

~cheers

Posts: 19 | Location: madison, wi | Registered: 13 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
H.C.
You are right, and that's what aggravates me. You & I both know I'm a certified gun nut, thus it takes one to know one.

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
out of curiosity, how much are the rifles? No prices were on thie web site last I looked (some time ago) and I was just curious how much they cost

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Marc, click "AHR Rifles" on the AHR homepage and then click on each of the models, and you will get the page for each model. The prices are at the top of each model's page.

The most expensive rifle AHR offer is the Safari 550 DGR, which starts at $3,995.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Gumboot 458,

The most significant feature of AHR rifles is that they replace the std CZ550 trigger and safety with a Modle 70 style safety and trigger.

They also use heavier barrels than CZ rifles.

Combined with nice wood for the price and you have a reasonably priced Dangerous Game Rifle.

I have fired my AHR which is chambered for the 450 Dakota nearly 800 times with full power loads. Still accurate and nothing has broken!

Anyone who owns a CZ action should take a look at AHR's safety and trigger.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Andy ;;;; Thank you for the update on the AHR>>>The one I,m looking at pretty hard is the 500 AHR with an 18.5" barrel and x brake in stainless and synthetic stock... should make about the ultimate rootin rifle ....

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I guess KB didn,t read the part at the heading of this forum ... The part that reads BIG BORES.... But the philosify that there can be no time when something with more smash than his medium ,, or as the International Big Bore Association labels them,,{ intermediate bores ] can deliver ....Is a flawed view ... Every man ought to know his limitations ...and if other people surpass them , that, should be applauded not rideculed...................

one of us
posted Hide Post
gumboot458,

The 500 AHR rifle weigh in about 10.5 to 11 lbs with 24 to 26 inch barrels. I have no experience with the X brake so I cannot comment on effectiveness or noise. Ed does make a quality product and I highly recommend them.

With an 18.5" barrel in a 500 AHR I would expect a mighty nasty muzzle blast. 4350 to 4831 series powders are about optimum for performance (muzzle velocity versus case fill) in the 500 AHR case. If you go with 4895 or 4064 speed range powders you will likely want to use a filler, but the muzzle blast in that short barrel should be dramatically reduced.

KB,
American Hunting Rifle is the NAME OF THE COMPANY. They do specialize in big bores however.

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The x brake is loud and pretty big, but it does work. It reduces felt by 30 to 40 % with the 600 overkill . That is the only caliber of AHR that I have fired and you can tell quite a difference with and without the brake.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
I guess KB didn,t read the part at the heading of this forum ... The part that reads BIG BORES.... But the philosify that there can be no time when something with more smash than his medium ,, or as the International Big Bore Association labels them,,{ intermediate bores ] can deliver ....Is a flawed view ... Every man ought to know his limitations ...and if other people surpass them , that, should be applauded not rideculed...................

Well, Gumboot, the big bore catagory in this forum starts with .375, the classic African medium bore, and has no upper limit other than I suppose whatever a guy can lift up to and shoot from the shoulder. I'm sure there are some really big and/or tough guys who could lift a 100 lb 20mm rifle to their shoulder and shoot it at least once. If Holliwood could have made money off that visual image, Arnold or Stalone would have done it. Maybe they did, and I just missed it.

Since I have shot the 458 WM many times, although I didn't enjoy it, I think there is a good probability I could learn to shoot something in the 470 Capstick, or maybe the 470 Mbogo class, but I would rather spend my time learning to play a violin. Does that make the guys who shoot those rifles more of a man than me?

Apparantly a muzzel brake is a really good idea for these monster bores. With adequate recoil reduction, I suppose they could be tamed down to something in the 470 Mbogo class, which from the pictures I've seen, usually don't have a muzzle contraption. I mean really, what's the point of getting something to shoot 900 gr bullets, and use a muzzel break, so you don't get to enjoy all that recoil?

Although I'm not an expert on what it takes to dispatch an elephant, hippo, cape buff, or Alaskan brown bear, it seems to me that the various 416s, 404s, 458s, 465s, 470s, etc. have been doing a good job. These big bores over 50 caliber aren't about hunting, or stopping, they are about man's limitations, as you say, and that limitation for some is enhanced by a good muzzel break. So "NEEDING" a really big bore has less to do with dispatching efficiently some dangerous animal, and more the owners NEED to have the biggest appendage.

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dude, you obviously just don't GET it. You also just volunteered yourself into the ignore class.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Maybe I do get it. That's why I'm suggesting you have a discussion category for the "Big Appendage Rifles". Quit pretending, and inserting these discussions in with legitimate sport hunting rifles. Call them what they really are, because they are not sport hunting rifles, for American big game. They are better characterized as Big Boy Toys.

Ignore me if you want, I don't care. I have a wife, so I'm used to it. Seeing the number of views of this discussion, perhaps others aren't ignoring it, and perhaps they are at least mildly amused, as I am.

Usually, discussions like this are on my ignore list, but I opened this thinking it was about "American Hunting Rifles".

See the irony?

KB

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I don,t think you could use a 470 Capstick .. And trust me when a 500 gr bullet goes roaring out the barrel @2400 fps plus you will not want to be the one holding the rifle................So what is the big thing about the brake , they work.........And you don,t get it ....The 500,s 600,s 700,s 4 bore and 2 bore are True sporting rifles..One doesn,t long range zap an animal with a 12-30 lb express sighted elephant gun.....And if an execelent rifle maker wants to name his company American Hunting Rifles .. yankees....The strangest part of this tho is your comments on a forum that if you don,t feel you are man enough to shoot a true large caliber rifle, with or without a cob . You should avoid this forum ..........

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Gumboot,

This picture was taken in Dande North by the camp manager who was also an apprentice PH and accompanied us on my elephant and buffalo hunts for DG experience.

Not a great picture of the rifle (or me) but this was after 20 miles in plus 110 degrees F temperature in November and I was glad to just be standing!

This is a McMillan (McBros) kevlar BRNO 602 stock with AHR supplied modified CZ 550 receiver, barrel, brake, sights, and mod 70 trigger and safety.

It weighs 11 pounds with scope, Chin sling and ammo. 10 pounds without scope, rings or sling.

The stock is a bit "tiney" sounding in woods compared to a wood stock but I doubt many wood stocks would have held up to 800 rounds of full power 450 Dakota.

Ed made the rifle to my specs and I had it stocked and plated by Robar in Phoenix, AZ.

Andy

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Andy ;; that is a great pic... I,ve never felt comfortable with someone carrying a rifle that keeps being pointed at me .......An admonishion from a guide years ago , and other previous events made me take a hard look at rifle handeling......I often carry my rifle in " shoulder arms " position... And often I use the scope as a handle [ a trick I picked up from my wife } and carry my rifle backwards.....I can tell I,m going to like AHR,s already.....800 rounds wow.... thumb It looks like you have the flush mount sling swivels ,, do you use the sling for shooting..??????

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Gumbboot,

I practiced with the leather (Andy Langlois) Chin sling, and used it to carry muzzle down when hunting.

My PH's shooting sticks were alot more steady than my home made bamboo sticks which were fairly springly. Myles McCallum was my hard working and competent PH. Since his heart of mopane wood sticks did not bend, they were very stable, and I did not use the Chin sling for a shot at game.

The three point sling can put alot of tension on the rifle and changed the point of impact slightly so I kept decreasing tension until it coincided with my benchrest sight in.

You really have to choose whether to set it up for off hand or sitting position for best results.

It is quicker than shooting sticks and was useful and safe with a muzzle down left hand carry.

I have a barrel band sling swivel but have never used it.

Andy

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:

The 500,s 600,s 700,s 4 bore and 2 bore are True sporting rifles...The strangest part of this tho is your comments on a forum that if you don,t feel you are man enough to shoot a true large caliber rifle, with or without a cob . You should avoid this forum ..........

I see that you learned how to edit your comment overnight. You have learned a lot about computers.

About feeling man enough - I feel manly enough to believe that I don't have to supplement my manliness with an oversized rifle shooting 700 + gr bullets. I firmly believe that I can get whatever job done that’s required, if I wanted to go to Africa, with something like the magnificent 450 shown by Andy.

In North America, it’s a different story. I feel manly enough to avoid feeling the need for anything more powerful than a 375. The only reason I can think of carrying anything more powerful, in the USA, is for bear guiding, or otherwise for manliness.

KB