Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me straight! Login/Join

one of us
posted
While I would like to think of myself as a somewhat accomplished big bore shooter, my meeting with the .577 this weekend left me pondering. I've shot countless rounds of .458 Win mag, .416 Rigby and a couple rounds out of a heavy and braked .460 Wea. and those didn't seem all that bad until this last weekend. Now I have the rare oppurtunity to shoot a .600 H&H. Now I've always dreamed of one day being able to shoot and own (yeah right) a .600, but with the date rapidly approaching I am finding myself a little aprehensive. Have any of you out there had the luck or misfortune of firing one of these beasts? The gun by the way is a Jeffery snap action double, but I don't know how much it weighs. Be honest how, bad will it be in terms of recoil. Thanks

------------------
JR

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
<AKI>
posted
JR! If you can�t detect a fatefully grinning Saeed somewhere in the background DO fire it with great selfconfidence. Enjoy and tell the rest us. If, on the other hand, Saeed would be involved, lets hope his video camera works. AKI

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
JR,
You previously stated your run in was with a lightweight (ahem) Ruger #1. Depending on barrel length and who loaded the ammo, the velocity for the .600 will be between 1950 and 2000 fps. The .577 is around 2050-2100 fps. The .600 does have a 900 grain bullet vs. the 750 grain of the .577. BUT, the .600 double is going to be pushing 16 to 18 pounds dead weight at the shoulder. This will translate into a huge push rather than the elephant stomp you experienced.

When I first bought my .500 A-Sq Hannibal it weighed exactly 11 pounds 2 ounces on a medical baby weighing scale. To fire this with 600 grain x 2450 fps ammo made the rifle seem as if it came alive...angrily. Since I have added a 1x scope in the forward position and a reducer in the butt, it now tips the scales at 13 pounds 4 ounces, sling, scope and 4 cartridges. It is not what it was (thank the Lord).

The take home message is: relax, handle the rifle, the cartridges, savor this moment and when it comes time to fire; focus on the target, exhale and squeeze the trigger. Let the experience happen.
Jeez I sound like a shrink!

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Button up your tunic and be a tough little buckaroo, no more whining!!

Your gonna find out...It ain't all that bad, it certainly won't injure you but it will get your undivided attention....Just a big ole push. Do not chew tobacco when pulling the trigger.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41840 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I have yet to shoot anything bigger then my buddies 8+# 458 lott.

Asside from that, a general comment is that most American smiths are clueless as to properly assembling big bore rifles, as evidenced by the lightweight #1.

Say what you will, the british gun trade knows about the big bores, and built the guns to be shootable. No offense intended, but if the snivley little English aristocrats could fire those things, you ought to be able as well, doncha think?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks alot for the confidence building. I'm not afraid to say that I needed it. I think however that I'm going to make it. If I can survive that .577 Nitro then I think that I got the .600 licked. If not I'll be sure to have the next of kin post and let you know if I at least went out with a smile on my face.!!!!! By the way have any of you had any dealings with the Lahti rifle evaluator, I ran across it today and it looked very interesting to say the least. Is it worth taking a serious look at or is it more os a gimmic. Thanks!

------------------
JR

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
JR, don't worry, it will not be quite as bad as ten rounds with Mike Tyson!

I shoot a 577 regularly, and have shot a 600 NE double rifle,(twice, one round from each barrel of a double) from a standing position over the sticks,that weighed 19.5 lbs. Let me say, it re-arranged what little hair I have, but it did not seem any worse than my 577 which only weighs 15 lbs. The only difference was, I had to take about two more steps backwards to keep from falling, than with the 577NE.

I understand why you are going to shoot the big "6", the same reason I did, but for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want to own one! I only use my 577NE on paper, and from a stand over bait for Bear, and it is one hell of an Elk rifle for called in Elk at 35 yds., but there is no way I would carry that thing all day in the African heat, when I have a perfectly good 10 lb 500/450NE 3 1/4" double that will take down anything that walks, or has walked on this Earth!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 10-07-2001).]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote