New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Solids Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Has anyone used the Nosler solids? They seem to have an awfully long (non-grooved) bearing surface for a monometal bullet.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a hippo with a .375 260 Nos. Solid in my .375/.284 XP-100 handgun. Did a perfect brain shot at 129 yards. Recovered the bullet about 2/3 way thru the body.
Practiced a lot with it before hunt. Very accurate. Killed groundhogs, deer, golf balls (the size of a hippos brain) out to 150 yards. Shot about the same as 260 gr. ABs.
No pressure problems. Loaded them a few grains less than ABs.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 250 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler has a very good reputation I would trust them. Have not used the solds, but Ive used the partition, the ballistic tips, and my favorite the Accubonds without failure. Id trust my life with them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me, too , Ray. I'm a die hard Nosler fan.They're the only bullets I use in Africa & 98% in the US.

Larry Rogers

Posts: 250 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only used the Nosler Partition, and I love them. So far, I’ve used them on a lot of African game in many calibers. I thought of them as my choice for all PG, but not DG. I use SAF mostly on DG, and TBBC sometimes, and lately the NF.

On my latest hunt in Zambia this year, I was hunting Buffalo, Black Lechwe, Tsessebe, and Side Striped Jackel. Took them all with my 9.3x66 (370 Sako Mag.) with 286 gr. NP. I took my 404 Jeffery with 430 gr. NF for the Buff, but he was farther than I was comfortable shooting that round with the fixed 2.5 Leupold. My PH told me to use the 9,3, but I was hesitant to use a NP on Buffalo. He assured me it would work. This was a big Buff. I followed his instructions, and killed him with one round. A 46” Bull.

I now have a whole new respect for the NP, deeper than I had before, and I have always loved it and used it…on PG of any size, but never on DG. Until this year. Never too old to learn!

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up on Nosler Partitions in the States and loved them. I've never used Nosler solids to my knowledge, but I don't favor the Nosler Partition on buffalo. Better choices out there, TBBC, Swift A Frames for example. A failing on my part no doubt, but I've always viewed solids as solids.

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive killed a lot of bufffalo and about ever thing else with Nosler partition and only one complaint, that was on an elk at 150 yards, the bullet came apart, the kill was instant, I recovered a piece of brass that looked like a wedding ring?? that was one instant in about 60 years and a tremendous amount of big game world wide..I forgive Nosler, I have high raise for them, and surely most realise they are the hunting bullet by which all others are judged by and thats a fact..Same applies to the Accubond old

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
I have only used the Nosler Partition, and I love them. So far, I’ve used them on a lot of African game in many calibers. I thought of them as my choice for all PG, but not DG. I use SAF mostly on DG, and TBBC sometimes, and lately the NF.

On my latest hunt in Zambia this year, I was hunting Buffalo, Black Lechwe, Tsessebe, and Side Striped Jackel. Took them all with my 9.3x66 (370 Sako Mag.) with 286 gr. NP. I took my 404 Jeffery with 430 gr. NF for the Buff, but he was farther than I was comfortable shooting that round with the fixed 2.5 Leupold. My PH told me to use the 9,3, but I was hesitant to use a NP on Buffalo. He assured me it would work. This was a big Buff. I followed his instructions, and killed him with one round. A 46” Bull.

I now have a whole new respect for the NP, deeper than I had before, and I have always loved it and used it…on PG of any size, but never on DG. Until this year. Never too old to learn!

Very nice report!

I'm curious about the 286 Partition on your Cape buff: What was the MV, if you don't mind? I use it in my 9.3 x 62 at ~2600 fps. Killed one bear with that load.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ive killed a lot of bufffalo and about ever thing else with Nosler partition and only one complaint, that was on an elk at 150 yards, the bullet came apart, the kill was instant, I recovered a piece of brass that looked like a wedding ring?? that was one instant in about 60 years and a tremendous amount of big game world wide..I forgive Nosler, I have high raise for them, and surely most realise they are the hunting bullet by which all others are judged by and thats a fact..Same applies to the Accubond old

And Ray, I've also used the 250gr AB in 9.3 x 62 on bear at 2700 fps and it worked perfectly. One shot and done! Complete pass through with a massive blood trail to the dead bear at 20 yds.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
quote:

Very nice report!

I'm curious about the 286 Partition on your Cape buff: What was the MV, if you don't mind? I use it in my 9.3 x 62 at ~2600 fps. Killed one bear with that load.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Sorry for the delay! I just got back to rereading this thread today.

The box of ammo lists 2,550 fps. I am not a reloader, so I had my riflemaker, who made my 9.3x66, chronograph my Federal factory ammo for me. He got 2,589 fps for the NP, and 2,522 for the BBS which I also took along for the Buffalo hunt.

It’s interesting to me that some here on AR say they have reloaded their smaller cased 9.3x62 to 2,600 fps. The 9.3x66 is obviously 4mm longer, so I wonder if anyone on AR here has reloaded that case to higher velocities as well. Anyone?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
quote:

Very nice report!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Sorry for the delay! I just got back to rereading this thread today.

The box of ammo lists 2,550 fps. I am not a reloader, so I had my riflemaker, who made my 9.3x66, chronograph my Federal factory ammo for me. He got 2,589 fps for the NP, and 2,522 for the BBS which I also took along for the Buffalo hunt. Both were 286 gr.

It’s interesting to me that some here on AR, like you also, say they have reloaded their smaller cased 9.3x62 to 2,600 fps. The 9.3x66 is obviously 4mm longer, so I wonder if anyone on AR here has reloaded that case to higher velocities as well. Anyone?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the view point of a gunsmith...looks like darn well thought out design,,,no sharp corners and a deep seating groove..should be easier to make feed and function in a bolt gun

Down side is the Nosler website shows everything out of stock except for 375...and they apparently do not offer 50 cal

Posts: 3459 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how about a picture of that 46" buff !

one of us
posted Hide Post
A heavy nosler partition in 9,3x62, 375, or 338 will kill about anything if stuck in the right spot. Hard bullet to beat, but there are other brands these days that seem to work as well. bullet failures still exist I guess, but its mostly examples quoted from yesteryear..the bullet manufacturers have done their job..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domit:
how about a picture of that 46" buff !

Wow, I just got back to this thread today. Sorry!

I can’t post pics, but the Buffalo is right here on AR.

Go to the ‘Hunting’ first subforum and the first topic ‘African Big Game Hunting’ (1st one on this website) and go to page (3). The name of the thread is ‘Dream Safari’ by Fairgame. The first pic is the Buffalo on the ground; go through the rest of the pics, and you’ll see his width. Enjoy.