THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What site have you put on your Marlin 1895?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What site have you put on your Marlin 1895? Login/Join

one of us
posted
Did you just stick with the buckhorn rear or go with a ghost ring/peep? and pics and suggestions. My uncle bought a 45/70 standard model, cool gun, but I don't shoot that well with open sights offhand, and the buckhorn isn't my fav. He says I cna shoot it whenever I want and let's me make calls on modifications.

Thanks.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
A williams foolproof is all I add.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
marbles makes a flat bottomed ramp-style open and peep sight that looks good- comes with two discs in different size openings. the sight is marketed for octagonal barrels, it would fit the top of a marlin receiver-

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=212640

http://www.marblearms.com/sights/universal.html

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a compact 2.5x leupold and like it a lot

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go and visit the beartoothbullets website. In the Tech notes (I think) is an easy and cheap way to utilise a Williams 5D peep and Weaver base/rings to make a QD set-up on the budget! The 2.5Leupold is awesome on a 45/70 as is any low powered scope ... maybe a VX1 1-4x??
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I've got the Wild West Guns ghost ring on mine, and my fiance has the Williams Peep on hers. But I believe I like the XS sight that I helped a buddy put on his the best.

My rifle also has a 1.5x Leupold pistol scope mounted on a XS Scout rail and that really works well if you can wrap your mind around the Scout Scope setup.

hth

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've too the WWG protected rear peep and front along with the XS rails for QD Scout scope.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
I've got an XS ghost ring on mine with the Xs front site (white stripe) - fast and accurate.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I removed the buckhorn rear sight and drove a blued blank into the slot.

I then put a Williams 5D aperture sight on the receiver. It works just fine with the stock front sight.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What site? I think I would put the Marlin on gunbroker.com. Big Grin

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2X B & L pistol scope mounted "out front" a bit on an XS-Scout Mount. Love It..!! My eyes have aged past the point where I'm comfortable hunting with iron sights at any range over about 50 yds. Frowner

Posts: 953 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I replaced the factory rear sight on my 1895CB with a Smith Enterprises Buckhorn Ladder sight(http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=12783&title=FLIP-UP+REAR+SIGHTS) for looks and to get better elevation with some of my warmer loads.
I took it to Africa in 2004 and used it with a Leupold 3X to shoot a Zebra, Wildebeest and Kudu. It did just fine except on the longer range shot on the Wildebeest, which was later taken by another hunter after I just grazed its brisket.
If I had it to do over again, I would relegate that rifle to SASS competitions and use something flatter for game hunting. It's kind of long for hunting whereas an 1895GS or similar works just fine.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman 66 receiver site and a fire sight up front works really well.

Posts: 122 | Location: Villa Rica, GA. | Registered: 27 June 2003Reply With Quote