THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Stockmakers: Request Recommendations

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stockmakers: Request Recommendations Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would appreciate your recommendations regarding stockmakers. My interest is classic wood rifle stocks for big bore bolt actions. I would also like this person to be knowledgeable in wood blank selection and have sources of where to buy wood blanks.

Thank you.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Chic who posts here as customstox is a great guy, very nice. He'll talk with you, explain things, and I know he has lots of blanks on hand already as well as knowing a few of the suppliers. He helped me pick out the stick that I have in the garage waiting for my stepfather's metal. I saw him Saturday at the show helping people pick out blanks.

I did take a look around and thought that Steve Billeb does great work, I liked the way he handled the thumbcut on a 98 mauser he had on display.

There was also a guy there, can't remember the name but have it at home, that had a very nice looking slender stock with an open grip that I thought would be killer on a lightweight gun. I can try and remember to post it tonight if you want that name too.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could you let us know if you want a best quality stock, or something economical?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dago red, was the guy you cant remember Trez Hensley?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red, Thanks. Yes, if you remember please post the additional name.

500grains, I think my best bet is Best Quality. I know it can be expensive, but I think I'll be money ahead stocking a big bore by going Best Quality. I am considering re-stocking a factory rifle and also starting with a action and buliding custom. My perception is stocking a heavy recoiling rifle is different than stocking an average recoiling rfile. I would guess the .375 H&H or .416 Remington is the dividing line between needing secondary lug and other big bore stock requirements.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe Smithson of Provo, Utah does fabulous work with wood. I do not know his current prices, but I would expect to pay north of $4K for labor. But the inletting will be perfect and there will be no need to fill gaps with glass bedding.

However, before you invest in best quality wood work, be sure that you are starting with best quality metal work as well.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy in Minnesota that does exceptional work, and usually has some great blanks in hand. He is a little hard to get a hold of, but I could get you an email address for him if you are interested.

Posts: 63 | Location: Maryville, MO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
our own Marc_Stokeld has done some fine work that is posted here. Slimmed down a CZ and turned an everyday factory chunk of wood into a very pleasing stock. I consider it more difficult to rework a factory stock than to start from scratch and modify. One poses constraints the other is a blank piece of canvas, so to speak.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Best Quality Big bore-------->Wiebe!

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, it wasn't Trez, although it is a cool name and he had a rifle there with a bolt handle that I thought was great and would like to try on my enfield, he told me who made the handle for him but it was a weird name and I can't remember it, I figured I'd just ask him later if I had to.

I can't believe I forgot this one, ummm....Jerry Fisher!! Amazing stock work.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Dominic Pisano in San Antonio does extremely nice work for quite reasonable prices.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Red. How did you forget Jerry Fisher?

ummm....I wonder if Mr. Jack & Mr. Coke has anything to do with it? Big Grin

Thanks for getting back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not presume to speak for Mr. Fisher, so inquire for yourself, but I have heard from those in the know that he is booked indefinitely with new projects for existing clients.

That's what happens when a guy does great work!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes 500grains. A friend of mine told me the same thing about Mr. Fisher's backlog.

Yes, that is what happens when a person does consistent great work. And that takes passion to do it year-in and year-out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the Biesen's in Washington state?

Posts: 10169 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,
The type of bolt knob I used was created by a local gun smith but was done in Tom Burgess' style. It has been a quite popular style and many metal smiths would know it.

I had a great time in Reno and met, Jim Kobe, AK guide, Customstox, loud-n-boomer, Dago Red, GSP7 if I remember right and I'm sure others. Would have liked to get to know some of you. Maybe in the future. It was a very busy show for me. (yeah!!)

And for those here that were rooting for me, I made it into the guild this year. Thanks for the support. It was wonderful to meet many of the makers there that I look up to and admire. Dad (Darwin Hensley) got to be there as well, it meant a lot to him, being amongst his friends. The sparkle in his eye was great to see.

Anyway,
The bolt handle you liked is the Burgess style
All the makers mentioned above that I got to see in Reno, would be a great choice. Being among the giants.......well, it was humbling.

If you go to
http://acgg.com
you can get all the names and contact info of members. I'm not there yet but dad is. (he is retired but is an honorary member).

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker
Curious about who Jesus is? Click hereChristianity-or- contact me

Posts: 485 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that is what caught my eye, it reminded me of Tom's bolt handles, as that is the style that I want on the rifle.

congrats on getting into the guild, your work looks good. I would have liked to have gotten together with everybody for a drink or five and had a good time, we'll have to plan that for next year.

Trez, it would be great to see the work you were judged on to get into the guild, if you could post some pics. I looked at your stuff but the camera was getting irritating to carry so I took it to the car and never made a second round to take pics like I'd planned.

thanks.

Red

-Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the American Custom Gunbmakers Guild. Membership is juried, i.e you don't get in if your work is not top flight. Many of the more experienced members are booked well into the future, but there are always new, young members with excellent skills.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,
Here are some photos (as requested) of the work I submitted that got me into the American Custom Gunmakers Guild this year. Hope you like.....
Keep in mind that these are kitchen table photos and that the metal work is not finished.

The top rifle is a Steven's 44 1/2 in 22 caliber and at the bottom, a mauser to be rebarreled to 7mm Rem Mag., as per the new owner.

As for the original post, I don't want to overstep my bounds and still hold firm to my original statement that the above mentioned stock makers are truely first rate. I admire their work, desire to be that good and strive to be worthy of being part of the Guild that they have allowed me to join in.

Trez

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trez,

What type of wood are the stocks made from?

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf,
The 44 1/2 is a piece of english walnut and the mauser is Turkish walnut. Being in the stock making business, I have several pieces on hand but originally they came from my friend Clay Barker over at Luxus walnut.

http://www.luxusgunstock.com/

Dad used to import wood from Morocco but we have all but used his wood up, just a stick or two left.

Clay has imported several trucking container loads in from Turkey. He will be sorting through, cleaning them up and grading them for a long time but he has a nice selection of both wet and dry wood available. I know he has a great deal more than he has had time to put on the internet. He only air dries his wood, (as it should be).
Trez

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Well done, Trez. Good looking work.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Trez Hensley
posted Hide Post
Scrollcutter,
Thanks, I enjoy the artistic side of the work a great deal. Top quality art that excels at its function, good stuff....... I Love this. Do you have a web site. Mine is still in process. I'd like to see your work also.
Trez

Trez Hensley-ACGG
Custom Gunmaker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Third recommendation for Duane Wiebe. Go to Gunsmith forum and look at some of the stuff that ForrestB has posted. He also shoots big bores and is a certifiable 500 Jeff nut. MUFASA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mufasa,

Thanks for bringing up a 500 Jeffery. I'm giving this cartridge consideration for a custom project on an old FN Mauser action. Initially, I'd plan to buy ammo from Westley Richards. Do you know if the Westley Richards ammo is the "standard" deminsion 500 Jeff? Also, is the standard RCBS 500 Jeff dies for the Westlet Richards brass?

Thanks.