THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Terminal Bullet Performance
Page 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 304

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terminal Bullet Performance Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Expansion of the meplat starts at impacts around 2300fps. Obviously expansion depends on the SD of the bullet and how fast it is slowed down in target. Mainly, the expansion enhances the qualities that make for straight line penetration rather than detract from it.

I have access to a website that is needing some content. If you want to post the spreadsheet there as a download, you are welcome. Mail it to me and I will get it up. In fact, anyone who has an article or item of interest to put up, mail it to me and we can create a category for it, if it needs it, and place it.
http://www.shooter.co.za

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Boy it’s been a busy day already.

Ok, regarding the NF 500gr .474 FN meplat; I thought as it had performed so efficiently from Mike’s DR with its 18.9” twist rate that perhaps we needed to dig a little deeper. So shortly after Mike posted his testing results I inquired directly on the NF website and asked if they could identify some specific information relating to their CPS and FPS copper solids for me.

This past Sunday I received the NF response…many thanks to them for their customer service! tu2 The meplat as stated by NF is 0.396” diameter. And we have Mike’s measurements
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
I checked it again. Used black ink and stamped it on white paper. Measured .335-.336

83% equals .393 and that is the measurement at the edge of the bevel (which is slightly rounded) on the side of the bullet.
which would indicate the NF meplat dimensions include the edge bevel – perhaps a CNC programming dimension…? No idea.

Which methodology is better, purely stamped flat surface or inclusion of bevel? Do we need to capture both specifications? Quen sabe?

Now, Doc M’s latest greatest updated data capture sheet…finally figured out how to get it posted so here are the four separate sheets:

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.shooter.co.za
Gerard,
Nice!
My work 'puter is not smart enough to block that one!
I might add that I have the Wingyro working on another 'puter ow and can calculate SF finally.
I believe you shared that years ago, and I just now got it working. It was a problem with my end on the hardware/software interface.

DocM,
I think you have found a home for your spreadsheets ... maybe more than one.
Since you have a South African wife, you ought to post on both sides of the pond.
Not logical, I know.

That expanded .395/340gr copper GSC FN was expanded by hitting water at 2700 fps.
Water is harder than concrete at that velocity, but not as abrasive.
By the time it got to the second waterbucket, I am sure it was down to 2300 fps or slower.
All that expansion probably happened in the first eight inches of water. Actually most of it occurred in the first 2 or 3 inches of water, most likely.
Set it up nicely for straightline penetration. tu2

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Good work. tu2 I am blocked from looking at photobucket at the moment, will have to whip out the iphone and magnifying glass ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael.

What about the 500 Hornady DGS in .458 at 2300 f/s in the Lott and around 1900-2000 in the 458 B&M??? Maybe the 480 grs as well? 465HH got great results with the DGS, see if you can confirm in your testboxes...

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Whoa. You can read them on a iPhone with a magnifying glass!! Eeker I almost need a magnifying glass to read them on my 17” laptop monitor!!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
The 458 450 grain GS pictured was recovered in 5 gallon nylon buckets backed by a few 3/4 inch thick pine boards. It went through about 44 inches of buckets and four inches of wood as I recall. Velocity about 2,450 fps. 1-12 450 GA. Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the fine team work getting the spread sheets posted!clap

One more thing, please update as info is generated. beer

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerard:
Michael,
Expansion of the meplat starts at impacts around 2300fps. Obviously expansion depends on the SD of the bullet and how fast it is slowed down in target. Mainly, the expansion enhances the qualities that make for straight line penetration rather than detract from it.

I have access to a website that is needing some content. If you want to post the spreadsheet there as a download, you are welcome. Mail it to me and I will get it up. In fact, anyone who has an article or item of interest to put up, mail it to me and we can create a category for it, if it needs it, and place it.
http://www.shooter.co.za

Gerard

I had in the past always contended that any deformation would or possibly could detract from straight line penetration. But I am not so sure of that these days, with as much as we are learning here. A lot of myths have been dispelled thus far. I understand the concept, and it does seem logical that by expanding the meplat upon impact, causing it to enlarge, larger meplat, deeper and straighter penetration! As long as that expanding meplat is even, which it seems to be. At least it certainly does not seem to distract from penetration from what we see.

Since I rarely run much big bore past 2300 with the exception of 416 then for me personally it does not come into effect.

Thanks so much for the offer to post on the site! It looks like Jim got it sorted out for us, as I knew he most likely would figure it out.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Jim

I knew there was a reason I keep you around! Excellent job! Don't know how you did that, not sure I want to know either! Maybe I experiment for the next updated sheet and enlarge the print some so we can see it! Hell I know what's on there and I can barely make it out! Larger Print for the next one!

As for the measurements, stamping is the only way I have confidence of being consistent with all bullets. For our purposes I think it will be enough.

RIP

Well I had a suspicion that either you or Jim would figure the spreadsheet out. I was correct!

I think a good test again with the same .395 bullet in the Sim-Test, eh? Might see Sim explode everywhere? Good concept, I just have not seen it.

Buffalo
Yes, will do the Hornady DGS! When they come in I will hammer them at several velocities and see what we see. As you see posted under the 458 section the one test did not do so well with the 480. So I don't put a lot of faith in them being able to perform with the big boys! Yes, I know all to well that 465HH did very good with them, and from what I have seen he is recommending them now! What would he do if he ever shot a North Fork or Barnes Banded into an elephant, and saw how good that performed I wonder? stir

Andy

Thanks, good info!

IBT

Yes, every update I will send to Jim and Jim can post it! Maybe I will ask him how, but he does things that are too complicated for me to deal with! Good man to have on the team! (But he will drive you Quickload Crazy-so don't ask about that-and he is the Quickload King)

Didn't you say you were going to be in Charlotte at the NRA Convention?

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael458:
But he will drive you Quickload Crazy-so don't ask about that-…
bewildered Hum…thought that was QuickDesign Crazy…Hum… bewildered Ok guess I can stop sharing… moon fishing

coffee

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Jim
Damn, did you see I was talking to IBT? No my man, just F%$@*&G with ya! I am quite sure you are a genius! And these days you seem to be quite an asset, so thanks! I am just proud as can be I have one of those little photos under my name now! No one has said shit about it either!

All my life I have made it a point to surround myself with good folks! That is the way to success you know! So count yourself as one of those!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
What is being done here is a lot of work and the information is light years ahead of the inaccurate BS that has been spouted for years.

To the testers 5 thumbs up and a toast.. tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 beer

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Jim
Damn, did you see I was talking to IBT? No my man, just F%$@*&G with ya!....I am just proud as can be I have one of those little photos under my name now! No one has said shit about it either!

Michael
Ok, just F%$@*&G back with ya!

And, you're looking mighty perky...nice photograph!

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
What is being done here is a lot of work and the information is light years ahead of the inaccurate BS that has been spouted for years.

To the testers 5 thumbs up and a toast.. tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 beer
+1 and another toast beer And John for you and I coffee

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim

I knew there was a reason I keep you around! Excellent job! Don't know how you did that, not sure I want to know either! Maybe I experiment for the next updated sheet and enlarge the print some so we can see it! Hell I know what's on there and I can barely make it out! Larger Print for the next one!

As for the measurements, stamping is the only way I have confidence of being consistent with all bullets. For our purposes I think it will be enough.

RIP

Well I had a suspicion that either you or Jim would figure the spreadsheet out. I was correct!

I think a good test again with the same .395 bullet in the Sim-Test, eh? Might see Sim explode everywhere? Good concept, I just have not seen it.

Buffalo
Yes, will do the Hornady DGS! When they come in I will hammer them at several velocities and see what we see. As you see posted under the 458 section the one test did not do so well with the 480. So I don't put a lot of faith in them being able to perform with the big boys! Yes, I know all to well that 465HH did very good with them, and from what I have seen he is recommending them now! What would he do if he ever shot a North Fork or Barnes Banded into an elephant, and saw how good that performed I wonder? stir

Andy

Thanks, good info!

IBT

Yes, every update I will send to Jim and Jim can post it! Maybe I will ask him how, but he does things that are too complicated for me to deal with! Good man to have on the team! (But he will drive you Quickload Crazy-so don't ask about that-and he is the Quickload King)

Didn't you say you were going to be in Charlotte at the NRA Convention?

Michael

Michael,

I have already done that with the NF. Check my last hunt report for the results.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post

HEH! Depends on where you put the hunt report. I don't spend much time upstairs, it's a little to "pompous" for my tastes. Most of the time I cruise through just curious at what ignorant stupidity I might run across for laughs. And if you are posting it upstairs you are pretty much wasting your energy there, if it has to do with shooting and bullets, it needs to be here where at least it can be looked at by shooters.

3/10/10

You know this statement is a bit ugly, and for that I apologize for the rudeness of it, in doing my best to be a gentleman! But none the less, it's very hard for me to tolerate rudeness, arrogance, ego and ignorance, traits combined together as one in others in which they consider themselves legends in their own minds because of some sort of experience or another. Not directed at you 465 HH at all, but some you hang around with! I think you should keep better company and stay down here with us! Most of the time I simply ignore, but once and awhile I cannot abide by such, and simply must take them to task!

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:

HEH! Depends on where you put the hunt report. I don't spend much time upstairs, it's a little to "pompous" for my tastes. Most of the time I cruise through just curious at what ignorant stupidity I might run across for laughs. And if you are posting it upstairs you are pretty much wasting your energy there, if it has to do with shooting and bullets, it needs to be here where at least it can be looked at by shooters.

M
Michael,

Here’s H’s post over on the DR Forum, 470 vs 500 (Penetration) Thread:
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Here are some results from my use of various solids on elephants. I will limit this to frontal head shots for the time being. In general I have found that RN steel jacket solids will penetrate to the middle of the neck. That is for 480 to 500 grain bullets out of the 465 or 470 rifles. Hornady 500 grain 458 Win bullets (DGS) at 2,150 fps were found at the front of the shoulder , approximately 18" farther than the Woodleighs. North Fork FN solid was found about 12" behind the shoulder bone in the in the back strap next to the spine. Still more penetration. Out of the Lott, the 458 woodleigh 550 grain bullets at 2,150 fps were found in the stomach contents. That is over six feet pf penetration. I haven't tried any 500 bullets so I can't say what they would do. I also give a caveat with the above results. My sample sizes are small but the results were consistent. My next try may not be as consistent. All of these bullets killed the elephants in a most satisfying manner. I would use any of them again.
465H&H
I’ll try to summarize as follows:
Calibers – Penetration on frontal head shots of elephant:
.465 & .475 Calibers:
480gr & 500gr Woodleigh FMJ RN: – frontal head to middle of the neck,
.458 WinMag @ 2150fps:
500gr .458 Hornady DGS FN: Woodleigh +18” (frontal head to front of shoulder)
500gr .458 North Fork FN: Woodleigh +30” (frontal head to back strap next to spine)
.458 Lott @ 2150 fps:
550gr .458 Hornady DGS FN: Woodleigh +30”+ (found in stomach – over 6’ penetration)

Now if we knew the actual distance of “frontal head to middle of the neck” and “found in stomach – over 6’ penetration” a better perspective could be developed.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
. No I have not forgot who come up with this, Thank You Glenn!

You're welcome! I'm glad I could contribute something other than aggravation. Big Grin

Hey, I didn't really suggest lipstick for marking the meplat, did I?

bewildered

Great job on the spreadsheet, Jim.
Now don't get ticked off and delete it on us!
Big Grin

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Didn't you say you were going to be in Charlotte at the NRA Convention?"

Will not be at NRA this year. It's the Shoot Show's turn. Did attend the DSC earlier in the year. I try to rotate the NRA, SCI, DSC and Shoot Show in some sort of order. One a year. beer

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
IBT

OK then I suppose I won't see you there. I don't make many shows anymore. I do love SHOT and the NRA, and since NRA is in my back door nearly I will be there for Friday and Saturday on the floor. I won't attend other functions, just the floor!

Michael

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
IBT

OK then I suppose I won't see you there. I don't make many shows anymore. I do love SHOT and the NRA, and since NRA is in my back door nearly I will be there for Friday and Saturday on the floor. I won't attend other functions, just the floor!

Michael

I will see you there, Michael!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DWright

I was thinking about you this morning and wondering where you have been? About the thread, yeah, who would have thought it? But here we are. I suppose some folks are very upset that it has continued, don't you suspect? The truth is out there!

O, I'm here Michael. . . . yup, right here . . . .
Keepin an eye on all the testing goin on, in case I have to jump in to keep you between the picket fences!

But it looks like you are doin just fine so far on your own. . . . But remember. . . .
I WILL be watching!
sofa

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
DWright

I was thinking about you this morning and wondering where you have been? About the thread, yeah, who would have thought it? But here we are. I suppose some folks are very upset that it has continued, don't you suspect? The truth is out there!

But, where is there? I could not find it on my GPS

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:
DWright

But, where is there? I could not find it on my GPS

Evidently you need a better GPS...... Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Excellent Whitworth--For sure will catch up with you there on the floor I suppose, or are you behind the scenes somewhere?

Dwright, keep watching!

JWP

There? Here is there? All truth flows from South Carolina! fishing
stir

Had a GPS once, could not figure out anything other than on and off! Much past that I just soon use a compass! But I do have that on and off button whipped!

OK, little break, back to the lab, then back to the range!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I think I might have the spreadsheet thing figured out. Also made some improvements on the way it appears (I think) since I have and keep the data. If this works well, then it is not an issue for me to update and post when needed. So we see below?

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Well that appears pretty good looks like to me!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to have the expandable data, and 338, too, when you get a chance.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Tanzan

When I saw your post in my email, I remembered, wait, in the solids we also did a 250 Barnes 338, that I neglected putting on the spreadsheet.

What has been posted is Solids and FMJ only---no expanding bullets. The way I keep terminal data is by caliber. All expanding and solids are on those sheets, but, this was a request from Capoward which included all measurements of solids, so it is totally separate sheet from the other data.

As for expanding, yes that is something I can work on and get posted now that I know how to do it.

I will endeavor to get some data posted.

Michael

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Tanzan

How's this work for you?

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Michael, PM sent.......

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
Michael, PM sent.......

Got it and replied back.
M

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Now I am outta here, I have range work to do, some more load data on the 50 B&MSA.

Be back sometime later!
M

One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tanzan

How's this work for you?

Hey Michael, that works for me!

There are going to be a lot of thankful animals in the forest for a neat, orderly invitation to dinner.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Hey, whatever happened to the Garrett Hammerheads y'all were going to test??

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Nice picture Michael…not as perky as yesterday…but nice nonetheless.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been wondering the same thing as Whitworth. What happened to the Garrett Hammerhead test?

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 45-70 Hammer Heads, what happened?

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Did someone ever send some Hammerheads to Michael?

Jim coffee
John Wayne