New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Fork Lives! Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
That's what I plan Rip, a 24" barrel 1 in 10" twist with a throat .100" deeper allowing me to seat the bullets to an OAL of 3.75" I'm hoping for close to 2500 fps for a 500g bullet. I thought 2300 fps with a 550g North Fork cup point would be sweet though ...

Chcuk

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4732 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gary for the kind words about my rifle and my enthusiasm for North Fork bullets. I surely enjoyed meeting you and spreading drool on each others’ rifles. My trip went very well on all accounts, and as I went through a similar charter exchange with the incoming clients at the end of my safari, I got to meet another Andy from Indiana who also spoke enthusiastically about this forum and, as I understand, is an acquaintance of yours. It was fun meeting him and his party, wide-eyed with the awe that comes with one’s first entry to a real-deal safari such as the Du Plooy’s Luangwa Valley camps. I thought “Yep, I remember what that was like, back when it was all new to me…†What, eight days before? I’m sure he and his party are in the midst of a grand time at the moment, no doubt. In the group of dugga boys my bull hung with, there are still a couple of fine bulls… PH Alister Norton and company know where to look.

To the rest of the fine bunch of you, I am sorry to contribute to confusion but yes, my name is also Andy and I too live in Oregon. I’ve browsed this forum in the past and now regret that I hadn’t dived in deeper, except for the fact that now it gets to be like a new adventure. My association with North Fork began while researching components for my rifle project, talking to and buying some bullets from Mike a couple of years ago. I shot them and liked them, and then recommended them to friends who used them to shoot several buff in Zimbabwe last year. Those folks did some extreme testing of their own prior to choosing NF’s above many other great bullets. Earlier this year, when desiring to lay in a supply for my rifle I received the shocking news from Mike and realized if I were going to have them for my hunt, I would have to limit my supply during practice and development of my rifle. How I wish I was then aware of this forum and that some of you had a supply of .423s, and how willing I’d have been to buy them at a hefty mark-up! I immediately told those friends I mentioned; whom I suspected might like to purchase the business. The rest of the story is theirs, because I didn’t re-enter the picture until recently… I’ll only say this about the stakeholders of the company, and the group of folks involved, wow what a collective bunch of experience and talent! We’ll be giving this venture our best, and thanking our lucky stars for the opportunity that Mike Brady developed and prepared for us.

Here is the picture of my bull, killed at dusk and then relocated to camp for daylight photos:

(If this doesn't work I'll have to figure it out later..)

The bullet left the barrel around 2380fps and flew 125 yards to the buff, coming to a stop against the far hide after passing through the lungs. The bull travelled approximately 200 yards and was found dead.

We appreciate the enthusiasm around the North Fork products and will strive to earn your continued confidence! We’ll post news and announcements on our web page as we move forward. Yes, we plan to be in full swing before next year’s African safari season and yes, the business is relocating to Oregon.

Best regards,
Andy Evans

Posts: 15 | Location: Western Oregon (when not hunting elsewhere) | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

Welcome to AR, and congratulations on the new venture! Is there a way we can contact you with questions about production runs? I am doing 21 days with DuPlooy next July and Alister is going to be my PH also.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I'm doing 21 days with Samaras in August and would love to get my hands on some .375 cup points...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here are the photos missing from my post above.

Posts: 15 | Location: Western Oregon (when not hunting elsewhere) | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Folks,

We are counting on you being able to get your bullets in plenty of time!

And Lhook7, I don't know if you've hunted with Alsiter before, or what your expectations are, but I had the best of times.

Feel free to contact me directly with your questions that aren't of general interest, and I'll do my best to provide the information you are looking for. At this point it is pretty hard to predict when we will be making what, but in a month or so I will be full-timing it while the two principals are still working day jobs.

Thanks again for your continued interest! We realize that the folks on this forum are leaders whose inputs we value.

Regards,
Andy Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

PM Sent. That's a great looking buff!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Andy, any plans on making North Fork bullets in heavier than normal weights like 350g .375 caliber or 550 .475 caliber?

Thanks
Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4732 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Andy. Awesome buff. Isn't that place incredible? I wish we had more time together, but that's the way it works. Be sure to keep in touch. I've got your e-mail and number and I'll give you a shout before long. I'm out of NF bullets and need to replenish. Best of luck with the new endeavor.
Take care my friend.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Chuck, your question has been pondered, and the limitation is in the overall length of the bullet. And then there are the remaining case capacity concerns, throat length issues, magazine length issues, etc. It needs to be looked at, because it has merit. I'm pretty sure for our initial inertia with the business we will stick to exacly what we have the tooling and recipes for, but when we get caught up we'll look into it.

Thanks,
Andy

posted Hide Post
Gary, Yep it was the real deal, not cheap but well worth it! I'm looking forward to next time, as well as crossing paths with you again.

How about some pictures of you and your leopard?

Take care,
Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be very happy to see NF products in the market again. It will indeed prove that there is life after death.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

Welcome aboard and everyone thanks you and your partners! Hearing rumors of NF starting back up has got me working on a wildcat project specifically for bullets you offer. Can't wait till we can make orders Cool

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 24 September 2008 07:28 Hide Post
Andy, any plans on making North Fork bullets in heavier than normal weights like 350g .375 caliber or 550 .475 caliber?

Thanks
Chuck

Chuck,

Mike Brady resisted the temptation to make bullets much longer than SD .305 or so.

the reason was with the solid base design they get too long to stabilize well.

Am not sure the extra heavy weights are a good idea with the solid base bullets.

Pictured are North Forks solids in 9.3, .375, .416, 423, .458 and .470 caliber, all with about .300 SD.

this is the reason for unusual bullet weights of 370 and 380 grains for .416 and .423. Good practical bullet weights. Especially for solid base like TBBC and NF.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy...look under the African Hunting Report forum and the heading "Zambia with Muchinga Adventures"...there is my hunt report and pics of the animals I took. If you want some more, PM and I'll send to your e-mail.
Take care.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way....I personally feel that for those of you who like to get "up close" to buff, especially hunting with a double....the NF Cup points are absolutely the best bullet for this scenario. Not the ONLY scenario, but with the solid bullet and cup point, penetration is very good, but not quite what the FP solid is. I used them on a buff with my 470 in Zim a couple of years ago and they worked perfectly. No reason to have a soft in the right and a solid in the left with these babies.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been out hunting moose and enjoying a grand fall season and to find that the NF bullets is back in the groove is sweet indeed. I've some 10 rounds of the .338 225 grn. that is for my .338-06 Rem. 30 left and now just sits in the self. Probably would have never ever been shot again-now........there is hope.

I have been lately using the VZ24 9,3x62 with Nosler 286 and have not missed my .338-06 but now whoooooohoooooo! Hopefully I can now horde enough when they are manufactured for both calibers.

I have not bought a Swift A frame in a couple of yrs...been shooting Nosler Part. but now that Mike has passed the baton----pretty pretty cool!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andy,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Andy,

I'm the other other Andy that you met at the beginning of our safari when we stopped by on the way to our camp at Nyaminga. Glad to hear you made it back safely, we made arrived home yesterday. We had an awesome time, incredible.

Alister went on and on about how much he loves North Forks and couldn't wait to get some for testing. I look forward to getting some myself.

Take care,
Andy Drook

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just noticed that the new address of North Fork Technologies is Philomath, Oregon. This information is on the internet site. Progress is being made. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Earlier this month I shot an elephant and a buffalo with North Forks. I left my remaining ammo with the PH because I thought I couldn't get any more.

One suggestion: Could you make the grooves a little wider? It's tough to get them seated just right for crimping.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

posted Hide Post
Hi Andy D,

I'm glad to hear things went well. Are you going to post a report on your hunt? I'd love to hear about it, and how Tim and Abie did as well. I've been meaning to do a report myself, it is just that I have been running in circles around here lately. What with the (now official) lay-off crap at my present job, as well as the exciting preperations around my new one, it has been rather hectic. PM me and I will send you a picture I have of you departing for camp. Pass my regards to Brian and Paula!

Andy Evans

posted Hide Post
Indy, congratulations on your hunt! Did you post pictures an stories?

I've shared your thoughts on the crimping groove myself; if the one groove was wider, it would be a heck of a lot easier. With my 404, I use the front groove and it seemed like a no brainer to make it wider. We know that Mike put lots and lots of testing into these babies, and we are reluctant to start messing with the existing designs until we thoroughly understand them. I also have a feeling that different folks might crimp in different grooves for different guns. The only suggestion that I can come up with at the moment, you've no doubt considered, is to be extra consistent with your case lengths.

Thanks,
Andy E

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy...precise case length is EXACTLY the key. While I certainly appreciate the idea, the smaller, closer "grooves" allow for minute adjustments. For a better purchase on the bullet, the sizer button could always be turned down just a touch.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, keeping cases at the proper length is a great thing.

I have always found the grooved North Fork soft points to be absolutely no problem to crimp where I want and to provide excellent neck tension. No change needed.

Some of the early driving band layouts on the FP solids and Cup Points were not optimum, but Mike Brady made great improvements before he hung it up.

I did complain to him early on about the skimpy, scanty banded solids, and I must not have been the only one. He fixed it.

Make them just the way Mike Brady made them, at the end, and you will not go wrong.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy E:
Here are the photos missing from my post above.

Nice bull Andy. I just got back form the Caprivi & will post some pics. I too used the 380grNF in my 404jeffery for another 1 shot kill on my buff bull. We did recover the bullet, perfect performance, even though I missed the shoulder on the shot (he stepped as I fired, called the shot when it happened). I look forward to you picking up where Mike left off, great bullets, great performance.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never tryed these bullets and am very anxious to try them from what every one has had to say about them. I wanted to order some 270 & 300 gr bullets for my 375 H&H. I checked the site and they listed the prices. I just didn't have the money. Now I have the money, but the website doesn't show them as being sold now. So I bought some Barnes to tide me over till they are selling them and I can get my hands on some.

So, for those of you with experience, what would be the best all arounder from deer to bear in North America be, the 270 gr or 300 gr? Id say the 270, but am unsure if they are good for bigger bears?

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen ----- The reason North Fork lives is because Mike Bradys design and expertise in manufacturing were both exceptional. His information was not marketing bullshit, it was based in total performance of the bullet. ----- My thing is pin point accuracy with hunting bullets. I shoot three days a week and many thousands of rounds with several different rifles, preparing for me, my son and grandsons as well as many hunting buddies for Elk-Deer-Africa-Alaska-Canada hunting. When I found the North Fork bullets and could get my desired accuracy with an exceptionally tough bullet I knew I had found "The Bullet" for me. Say what you will about bench shooting and not being able to duplicate it in the field, but if your rifle and bullet combo cannot perform in near perfect condition from the bench, how do you expect mircles off handed or poor props in hunting conditions. I say get as near perfect from the bench as possible and you will also have that eye-crosshair-trigger pull as instinct and better results will come. Much more practice from field positions follow perfecting the load. ----- I managed to have 32 boxs of North Forks when Mike shut down. The why follows. ------- 1. I loaded 200 grain North Forks for a buddie hunting on East Marino after winning a national contest. The 200 grain .308 bullet from his .300 Ultra Mag traveling at 3,000 fps hit true at 420 yards, two out of three shots and the recovered bullets showed high percentage of weight retention. You may see these bullet on the North Fork site under .308-200 grain with the information. ------ 2. I shot a Cape Buffalo in the Selous at 80 yards +with a .416 Rem and a 370 grain North Fork loaded to 2450 fps. The bullet entered just in front of the right flank (where the PH told me to shoot) at an angle going away. The bullet traveled the length of the innards lodging in the neck bone in the throat. It retained 366.8 or 99.1% of its weight, with perfect mushroom. The Buff went down got back up turned in a couple of circles and a 370 grain North Fork flat point solid busted him through the shoulders and put it down for good. ------ 3. I shot a Kongoni (Hartebeest) in the shoulder with a .358 STA and 270 grain North Fork at 2850 fps, the bullet traveled into the neck bone and was recovered in the off side hide. Perfect mushroom and 230.8 grains or 85.5% weight retention. I also gained great respect for the African animals and their toughness with this kill. ------ 4. My son killed a hugh Bull Elk with a through the shoulder shot with one of my .358
STA's using a 270 grain North Fork bullet at 2950 fps. The bullet completely penetrated the Bull (125 yards up a snowy mountain) through the shoulders and exited and killed a Cow 25 yards beyond the Bull, the Cow being bedded down and not sighted by the shooter. We dug the bullet out of the far side cranium. That bullet was a perfect mushroom and weight 249.3 grains or 92.3 % weight retention. ----- Those experiences with the North Fork bullets are the reason I am celebrating today at the news another manufacturer is going to carry on the Mike Brady tradition of bullet making. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Andy D,

I'm glad to hear things went well. Are you going to post a report on your hunt? I'd love to hear about it, and how Tim and Abie did as well. I've been meaning to do a report myself, it is just that I have been running in circles around here lately. What with the (now official) lay-off crap at my present job, as well as the exciting preperations around my new one, it has been rather hectic. PM me and I will send you a picture I have of you departing for camp. Pass my regards to Brian and Paula!

Andy Evans

Hi Andy,

I have passed your regards along, many thanks. Here is the report that I posted:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6321043/m/628109049

I have your email, I'll be in touch. Good luck with the layoff. As you know, Brian and I both went through the same thing with your same company back in 2002. When one door closes another opens. You guys are going to do great with North Fork Bullets! beer

Andy

posted Hide Post
Hello everyone... Today was a big day for North Fork in that we finally have the new www.northforkbullets.com web site up. Please have a look and let us know what you think. Thanks for your interest and support! Now, we must get back to work so we can fill out our inventory!

Andy Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great site.Congradulations on keeping a great product alive.

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy....very nice site. I'll be sending in an order shortly. Hope all is well with you and the family. Looks like the venture is off to a fine start.

Take care.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what's the quantity that goes with the price on the website?

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gohip2000:
So what's the quantity that goes with the price on the website?

If you click on the bullet in the product list you get the quantity. Looks like fifty per box on all the ones I checked.

If I read this right the prices are competitive with GS Custom. I am very glad to see these available again.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Andy,

The website looks great.

Andy D

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking website for sure. But man, look at similar-weight A-Frames... that's half again as much as the "other" awesome premium.
Now that copper prices are coming down hopefully we can see that gap ensmallening. For now it's a bit out of my price range boys.
Happy shooting, and good luck Andy on the new venture.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Great to hear! Any background on the new owners (who they might be) or initial quality of the new production bullets?

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
phurley,

Don't get me wrong; I have no ownership interest in Swift, nor do I have anything against Mike Brady or North Fork bullets. Mike was very responsive to the needs of the big bore community for top-quality bullets. I have some on my shelves in .284" and .474", I just haven't gotten around to trying them.

A-Frames have always shot well, and performed well for me in the cartridges I hunt with most - .30-06 and .375H&H. If my experience had ben similar to yours, I would have tried the North Forks and others in those cartridges.

My point is merely that if you already use a super-premium bullet that meets your requirements, how much can you really gain by switching to another super-premium?

How many people would care to risk the success of an expensive hunt, perhaps the hunt of a lifetime, just because a particular bullet, rifle, scope, or cartridge is the 'forum darling'?

George
.. Thanks George ....

Alot of folks like to slam the X bullets .... I on the other hand have never had one not work perfectly .. But I think North Fork makes great bullets .. Just never used any .......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello everyone... Today was a big day for North Fork in that we finally have the new www.northforkbullets.com web site up. Please have a look and let us know what you think. Thanks for your interest and support! Now, we must get back to work so we can fill out our inventory!

Andy Evans

Andy, just curious if you've looked into any "unleaded" designs? The reason I ask is that there seems to be more and more rhetoric about leaded bullets leaving lead in the meat. Whether that is BS or not is less relevent then the "perceived" issue, mostly by tree huggers and the anti crowd.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ken, Depending on the anticipated impact velocity, our Cup Point Solids have some merit in this arena. Beyond that, you can be sure that we are looking into ideas.

Thanks,
Andy E