THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .404 Jeffery or .416 Dakota

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.404 Jeffery or .416 Dakota Login/Join

one of us
posted
People, I need some help. I keep second guessing myself on this.
I have an opportunity to get a new Dakota 76 African (wood stock) in .404 Jeff at a discount. On the other hand, I have found a slightly used Dakota 76 African (synthetic stock)in .416 Dakota at a fair price.
My problem is: the .404 holds some nostalga for me while the .416 will be easier to feed with more bullet choices.
I am leaning towards the .416, but not by much.
Any comments to push me over the edge would be appreciated.
Thanks,
DaveC

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
DaveC,

I would take the 404 Jeffery myself. It should feed better than the 416 Dakota, which by the way is a 404 Jeffery blown out with sharper shoulder and necked down to .416. The Jeffery with hand loads will do anything the 416 Dakota can do, but with ten times the class.

Todd E

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Dave - The reason why you are having a difficult time is because there is little difference between the two. As you pointed out, you will have a few more bullet choices with a .416, however, that really is not a big deal. I have a .416 Dakota and I can tell you the performance is outstanding.

I would base most of my decision making on the physical differences between the two guns and not worry so much about the caliber - either one will get the job done in spades.

If I were pressed for an answer and all things being equal, I would select the wood stock over a synthetic stock any day.

Lead, it�s not just for breakfast anymore.

[This message has been edited by Zero Drift (edited 08-31-2001).]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would get the 404. It will just plain look better.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave C, The 404 is a class caliber and there is a great deal of nostalgia to go along with it. In reality the 404 Jeffrey can do anything the 416 Dakota can do.

There are plenty different bullets available for the handloader. Todd E said it, it is one of the smoothest feeding rounds there is.

For me there is no real choice, especially with a wooden stock VS the plastic stock on a Dakota action.

Good Hunting
Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

[This message has been edited by Santala (edited 08-31-2001).]

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would take the 404 over any 416..I like that tapered case that feeds well but more importantly extracts in the event of an overload or whatever...and a finer caliber doesn't exist...plenty of brass and bullets are assured from now on as all the new calibers are on the 404's case...I'll always take wood over plastic and blue over stainless steel...Nostalgia? not necessairly, the pointability, fit, feel and warmth of a rifle is all important to me and I can't get that from plastic that one size fits all....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much. The .404 sure would have been nice, but the practical side of my brain won on this one.
The .416 has the "shot 23 times / time to sell" look to it (actually, there are 23 empties and 17 loaded rounds with the gun).
The synthetic stock fits me good dressed for hunting and as this rifle will be going to Alaska, the plastic is ok.
And the price difference is such that I can get a good scope, 60 cases, and 4 boxes of Northfork bullets.
DaveC

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
DaveC,
You made a wise decision.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

<500 AHR>
posted
DaveC

Where is this Dakota 76 in 404 Jeffery located? I mean is this rifle available to the general public for the discounted price you aforementioned?

Thanks,
Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd E.
Tried your e-mail & it didn't work.
The rifle was on gunbroker.com.
It is back on there now. E-mail the seller & see what he is willing to take as low $$'s.