THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Need help with 416's - part deux

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with 416's - part deux Login/Join

<Peter>
posted
Thanks again for all you help. I happened to be in Atlanta Monday and Tuesday so I stopped by the Gun Shop (Hit and Run)in Lilburn Ga (888-207-2220) and picked up my CZ550 in 416 Rigby, and a pair of CZ rings! Now I guess I need RCBS dies (and a shell holder), Hornady bullets for practice, and Norma brass. Any suggestions for reduced loads? Incidentally, I flew back with the gun and had an interesting experience. I removed the bolt and put it in my carry on. I declared the gun and checked it in. At the x-ray machine, my carry on was taken to one side (after much discussion) and a young guy searched my bag. After much looking, I asked him what he was looking for. He said that someting long had shown up on the machine. I pulled out the plastic bag that the bolt was in and showed it to him. He did not really know whatit was, so he called someone else over. This person identified it as a bolt, and asked where the gun was. The first young man said something to the effect that the gun was not in the bag otherwise he would have got $25. Is there really a reward for finding a gun in carry on? I am not commenting one way or the other, just curious.
Peter.

posted Hide Post
I guess the $25 reward offered by his employer is used as an incentive to keep the 'security' personnel on their toes.

Few make more than minimum wage, so the $25 would make a good incentive.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
From what I gather, on international flights,
carring your bolt in your hand luggage is a real no-no. To most shooters, that is crazy.
Does anybody know the reason why?? I wonder where they draw the line?? Scopes are OK, but I wonder what about rings??

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am also looking for that accurate reduced load for practice and deer. I am just one step ahead of you in the other departments. Got brass, bullets dies and some rounds loaded. It seems most loads use H 4831 or H or IMR 4350 in generous quantities for the 400 gr full house loads. I am looking hard at some of the modern win 405 loads using 3031 or 4891 and about a '06 case full. I am still considering options. Surely someone has done this before. I asked for reduced loads before not much info came back. Any answers? "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Gentlemen,

Why mess around trying to discover a reduced target deer load? I have shot many deer with a 416 Rigby 2600 FPS 400 grain load with excellent results. THe tissue damage is not any worse than a 20 gauge shotgun and the deer do not even twitch (these are lung shots by the way). In short, the big gun kills 'em dead real quick without destroying the meat if you shoot then just behind the shoulder through the lungs. The plus side of this approach is that you become familiar shooting the rifle with the loads intended to be used in Africa.

Todd E

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
The 416 Rigby is, as you know, a very big case. It holds well over 100 grains of powder so to down load this case below suggested start can leave lots of air space in the case, and that can lead to trouble. If you were wanting one to down load easily a 416 Rem, Hoffman, or Taylor would have been a better choice. Use the Rigby as it was intended to be used with loads that fill the case. If you try to reduce them too much you will have to start fooling with filler and all the crap, and possible negative outcomes that have crept up in other overbore cartridges when greatly reduced loads were tried. Just load them at suggested start if you don't want full tilt loads and leave it at that. Accuracy has been excellent in my Rigbys from start to max so it is likely the start load will give you all the accuracy you'll want or need. JMO

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter and D

The closest caliber I have used to the 416 Rigby with reduced loads is the 460 Wby and the 416 Rigby should be easier because of the smaller bore on the same case and the lack of massive freebore.

I used 85 grains of 4064 with the 500 Hornady which did (from memory) just over 2000 f/s.

Based on this, I think the Rigby would go well with 80 grains of 4064 and the 400 Hornady. 4064 would be good if it worked because (based on a 416 Wby I owned) it would also easily give the 2400 f/s with 400 grainers.

I can't remember which of the Hercules shotgun powders I used, but one of them (Like Geen Dot?) and Dupont Hi Score 700X? and I think it was 28 grains with 400 Speer for about 1200 f/s.

I think it might be difficult to get loads using around the 55 to 60 grains of powder as this would be too much for the shotgun powders and ignition might be a problem with quicker rifle powders.

In the 375 H&H I am currently using 39 grains of H4227 Extreme with 220 grain Hornadies and that is ragged hole accuracy at 100 yards. Pressure is very low and with very clean and complete burning.

If I had a 416 Rigby I would give 50 grains of H4227 Extreme a go with 400 Hornadies. If I had any hangfires I would not go up in the load, just stop. If ignition was good, then I would adjust the load for accuracy.

You should double check with Hodgdon that H4227 is the actual powder we are using in Australia. I am sure it is but I would still check. In Australia, where the Extreme powders are made, it is called ADI 2205

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike375 (edited 08-13-2001).]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
D Hunter. I should have my brass, bullets etc etc this week. Did you scope your 416 Rigby? If so, what did you use? I was toying with the idea of perhaps just leaving mine with open sights, assuming, of course, that I could get decent accuracy.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try a case full of IMR5010, F215 primer and a Hornady 400 sp.(Hodgdon may list loads for his H5010?) My Ruger clocks around 2300 and it is about as inexpensive as you can get with factory bullets. I got my powder surplus (I think shipping and hazmat fee were greater than the cost of 8# of powder).
If you want less than this see if anyone lists jacketed bullet loads for XMP5744. This stuff works great in very large cases.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Griffin>
posted
Peter, Congrats on the CZ. I love mine and I'm keep the original stock. You should have gotten a target with your rifle. Two or three shots at 100M, Mine is right on the money. If I hold it right. I shoot 102gr. IMR 4530 with a Remington 215 primer and a 400 gr Hornady. NO pressure signs. With iron sights it is all I could ask out to 100m.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter I am scoping mine with the Leupold 1.5x5 HDX scope. I am also thinking of using qd Tally mounts and getting a 2.5x8 or a 1.75x6 for plains game and backup. We will see. I will keep you posted. "D"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd,Big Bore, CGB, and 375. Those are the kinds of posts I was looking for reloading for deer in the 416. I will try some or all the suggestions. I went to the Accurate powder website and it lists XMR 5744 at a max of 55 grains and about 2200fps. Looks good. I was just looking for a load to hunt with that didn't have quite the kick that the 2400-400gr loads have. Point is well taken that I need to use some full house loads to check everything including me out. I hope to get back with answers on how things went in a month or two. The 416 is getting a new stock etc as of now. Good hunting and thanks again. "D"

[This message has been edited by D Hunter (edited 08-16-2001).]