Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.600 OK development Login/Join

<Per577>
posted
When can we excpect to see this cartridge on the loading board !!?
Fritz 920 grains and 750 grains. What will their performance be,,and maxes ,,of course !
I hope and require to see some load results and generally development in this exiting chambering ! [Big Grin] [Confused] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Per577

I should have my 600 complete in about 3 months. Its too cold and windy to shoot groups here anyway. I will have some load data, with my bullets of course, this summer.

If I remember right Robgunbuilder felt 2550fps was possible with the 900 gr bullet and 2800 or 2900 with the 750gr.

I have no plans to push it that fast. 2000-2100 fps with a 900 gr is what I'm after. I will be taking this on a buffalo hunt this August and don't want it to hurt me as much as the buff.

-

Some samples of the 600 OK.
Left to right nose shapes 1, 2, 3 and a custom.

By the way that is some of the turned brass I made for some of the guys making this rifle.

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Per577!

2550 FPS with a 900 grainer [Smile] Maybe 2600 FPS is possible [Eek!] And a 750 grain bullet att 2900 FPS. The .577 Tyarnnosuar can go to hell [Big Grin]

Frits!

Nice bullets. I like the 3nd and the 4 nd shape best. It will be very fun to hear how the recoil is and how it will work on buffalo.

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Overkill
I think it's fair to say your namesake is going to kick some buffalo butt [Big Grin] . I like the two bullets on the right as well. I am hoping to get the far right one to feed if not then I'll go with one next to it.

I'm trying to arrange to have the hunt videoed. If I do I'll be happy to share it with anyone who wants.

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
What will be the weight of the rifle? Which action are you using? Who made the bullet molds?

[ 02-26-2003, 23:07: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fla3006

I'm looking to get the weight somewhere around 14 lbs. The action is a CZ 550.

The bullets are some of the bullets that I make. No mold is required as they are turned. They are all non-expanding solids.

You can try the below shortcut for more information on the bullets or visit my website

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=002785

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
John- Looking Good! Those bullets of yours are simply fantastic! The first 600 OK's are now nearing completion ( stocking only left to do). I should point out that those keith style bullets Will feed reasonably well through a properly done CZ550 action! Now all we need is the ibuprofen dispenser in the buttstock!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One day I will have to build a .600 OK Rob why did you have to go and make this as soon as my .585 was pretty well done [Frown] [Big Grin]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Rob, maybe instead of mercury recoil reducers in the stock, you could try morphine? I don't think Ibuprofin will tame that kind of punishment!

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC-Do you have 585 chambered yet.If not you could get some 600 OK brass and make a belted straight
taper 585 cartridge.No shoulder.Deiter's brass is the best there is.That belted cartridge design
and size is just as suitable for 585 as for 600OK.
Make it as long as possible.it will have the same taper as my wildcat,which works with heavy loads without sticking.And by headspacing on belt,with no shoulder to work. you will be able to reload
over 50 times with moderate loads.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At 14 pounds and 2000 fps with a muzzle brake the recoil will not be bad. Probably about 1.5 to 2 feet of rearward shoulder movement will be needed to dissipate the recoil, but that is no big deal. Undoubtedly it will NOT have sharp recoil like a lightweight magnum rifle, and a slow push just doesn't hurt at all.

Here is my analogy:

I would rather have an 18 wheeler move up against my bumper at a stop light and slowly push me forward, instead of having a Honda Civic ram me at 30 mph.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Per577>
posted
Thanks Fritz !!

Very nice picture,,,and besides those loads are very powerful !!
With nearly 13,000 ft/lbs at the muzzle,,that's most impressive !!At this level the recoil experienced must be absolutely brutal ! [Eek!]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hubel,

my .585 is done and completed, when it comes time for a .600 OK I will just build one. Won't be fora while I just blew my money on a trail bike [Frown]

But it will help to run down those pigs up North [Cool]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys - please keep up the postings on the dino killer - Fritz454, those bullets are incredible [Big Grin] - Thanks for the inspiration - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of pictures of the Schuler type magazine I'm making for the 600OK. These are just the first side. The trigger guard and coffin box need to be machined on the nest operation and then the floor plate.

I'll post some picture after the next operation later today or tomorrow.

-

-

[ 03-02-2003, 03:30: Message edited by: fritz454 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are couple more.

First the CZ 550 standard set up

-

Next is the Schuler type in place. It takes a bit of imagination to add the trigger guard and the dropped box and floor plate. The big piece of material on the bottom was for fixturing purposes and will be almost completely removed on the next operation.

-

It will be a lot clearer with the next set of pictures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What type of mods, if any, were needed to the bottom of the receiver?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500Grains,

None, so far. I'm attempting to make this a drop in modification so if you've got a CZ 550 and want an extra round in the magazine it's a drop in part. Take off the bottom metal and put this on in its place.

The way it sits right now if you don't mind the magazine extending almost to the bottom of the trigger guard you can get 4 down with the 600 OK. I am going to make up some for 3 down and 4 down to see how they look and work.

With only slight changes to the hole location and maybe some clearance issues it should work on any action out there.

It is fashioned after a Schuler style box but not a 100% clone.

I should know tomorrow if it will work like I think, and hope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's impressive machining!-Jim

[ 03-02-2003, 10:29: Message edited by: 470nitro ]

Posts: 50 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the only picture I was able to get. I left the camera on overnight and have dead batteries today.

The bottom still needs finish machining to fit the floor plate and latch pin but it dropped in to a 416 CZ. This one is for 3 rounds down (600OK) as soon I get the batteries charged up I'll post some more.
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
fritz454 - very nice!! would this drop box work for a 416 rigby converted to a 500a2 in the cz550 ? to allow four down? what follower will you use for the 600ok? nice work, especially those bullets [Big Grin] KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KMuleinAK,

It should fit in any CZ550 rifle to give you one or two more in the magazine, depending on the cartridge. You would certainly be able to use on 500A2 converted from a 416.

I haven't gotten to the follower yet but my plan is to use the CZ follower. It fits perfectly and slides like goose sh#t. I will need to change the spring to get enough upward pressure to reliably feed those heavy rounds.

I've got a bit of finish work to improve the looks and make it less box-like but this is secondary to function at this point.

I'll keep posting so you can see how it is going.

Thanks for the comments on the bullets. I can hardly wait for the weather to warm up a bit here so I can get out and do some shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response - it saddens me to tell you that the temperature here is nearly +38F and rain [Mad] - southcentral Alaska has had a crappy winter, little snow and much warmer than normal [Frown] - time to go to the range and burn some powder [Big Grin] [Big Grin] KMule

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Fritz,
Your work is simply incredable.. my 500 would shot in the .5" if i could do my part, and the 250gr in 375 for my steyr, with my nose, as perfection.

You've got email, btw
jeffe

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
John- That is beautiful work and actually pretty good looking with some minor cosmetic changes. I believe that if we can get this to feed properly and there is no reason it won't, that we will take the CZ550 to new levels. When will the floorplate be finished?-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

I think you'll hit the 1/2" mark. Your groups have gotten much better in a very short time and that is a big gun you're shooting.

Rob,

It worked out well. The first one fit into the stock with just a slight bit of pressure [Smile] . When it is all assembled there is no noticeable step all along the inside of the magazine. I held the CZ floor plate in place and was able to get it to feed the entire stack with the CZ spring.

I need to make a broach to form the window for the hinge. I also need to figure the geometry for the latch.

This is taking a bit longer than I had planned but I've got 5 like the one in the picture and 2 that will hold another round of 600 OK. This way there will be some to send off for evaluation.

These are not made from steel but black Delrin. Its easy to machine and I can machine it without making fixtures until everything is set. Then I'll go ahead and make the fixtures for making them out steel.

When I machine the next side I will be adding some taper and edge breaks to it looks better but I wanted to be sure I had the basic shape right before programming all of that.

I have a lathe being delivered tomorrow and need to clear a wide enough isle so the rigger can get it in place today. Then I need to get power to it yadda, yadda, yadda. Needless to say this will be on the back burner for a couple days but I'll be back on it mid week. I thought I'd be done with the first ones by now but I've been wrong before.

I'll get some pictures posted a little later.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John
I would wire it up for nothing if I was in the area just to let you keep posting your work for us to dream about but the drive would be alittle long. RNS

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RNS- It won't be too difficult only a 50amp breaker and 75 feet to run from the panel. Nothing hard it just takes time. Not to worry I'll keep you updated.

After speaking with Robgunbuilder earlier the next step, after I finish the bottom, is to make a slide in sleeve to turn it into a single stack. The top will be similar to the Weatherby lip system. Should work great on the really big stuff while the simple extension will work for the 416 Rigby, 375HH based cases.

By the way, thanks Rob for all of your help and advise on this. Its been a real help, although every time I talk to you I end up with another project [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] .

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK. stop. I have run out of ink in my printer. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

OK so when you make this work are you going to look into other actions?????????

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep. I'll come up with the same design principal for all of the standard big bore actions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John
Got the box in the mail yesterday and almost got to eat dinner alone [Eek!] was not paying attention to the wife [Eek!] . Very impressive.

How in the heavy recoiling cartridges like the 600 OK are you going to keep the belts from locking up and not allowing the top one to feed if it gets hung up on the belt of the bottom cartridge [Confused] You would get a jam that way, could you explain. RNS

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
Sweet looking mag box. Will you be making units for Military 98 Mausers? I would really go for a 3.5 inch single stack for a 404 J or 460 weatherby size case head that holds four or five rounds down.

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RNS,
Glad you're happy with your package.

Feeding is not too much of an issue with a belted case because the bolt side of the belt is not 90 degrees. There is a taper leading up to the belt and if the round on top should end up behind the lower cartridge it will simply hit this angle and ride over the bottom belt.

-

Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about in the photo.

JNC91 - The 98 Mauser will be coming soon. I'll have both a standard extension and a extra long one.

A couple of more picture now that I have batteries.

-

-

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fritz is right about belts feeding ok.I have intentionally loaded belted out of line and never had trouble.Just a gripe made up by Rummies,
Wussams,Koties, Orronies, etc to sell new cartridges.Ed.

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That makes sence [Embarrassed] I probably should have figured that one out. Thanks RNS

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Fritz,
it's FANTASTIC...

I'll email you about it, some more.
Jeffe

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
John- Simply beautiful! I can't wait to see the single stack 600 feed.-Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,
If the machining gods smile on me this weekend I should have the completed extension and the single stack insert finished.

Does anyone have the bottom metal from an Enfield I could borrow for a few days to take some measurements from? I, of course, will pay shipping both ways and will include a box of bullets on the return (your choice of cal and weight).

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
John- I've got some original Enfield bottom metal with the dog leg intact. Is that what you need?-Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

That's just what I'm looking for. I'll give a call tomorrow to discuss the details. Thanks