THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Jim Shockey says the .375 H&H is a poor choice for DG
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jim Shockey says the .375 H&H is a poor choice for DG Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
The 375 is as good as any other caliber if one can shoot...The 600 is crap if you cannot shoot. Ive shot enough DG with the 375 to be satisfied with it, Ive never seen much difference in the 375 and my bigger bores. The end results has always been the same..

Hi Ray,

Pardon me if my memory is faulty but did you not say at one time, that a head on shot with a 375 on a buffalo sometimes resulted in the bullet changing course and skidding down the side of the buffalo and doing very little damage.If I recall correctly, this did not happen with 40 caliber and larger bullets.

I hope you had a great Christmas.
I always enjoy your comments.
brair

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did and I stand by that statement as I've seen it several times and that is common knowledge that a hunter should be aware of but I never had a problem with waiting the bull out, he will turn soon enough..One could take a head or neck shot easy enough..One could write a book on this sort of thing, but all it boils down to is your knowledge and shooting skills on any animal including elephant.My suggestion was don't take a frontal chest shot of buffalo, its been known to fail at times.

Happy new year, I was mauled by grand kids and great grand kids, It was like WW3 at the Atkinsons! dancing

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41857 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JamesStambough
posted Hide Post
I’ve never hunted dangerous game but with the bullets available today, shot placement beats energy every time. Bell proved that a century ago. I gotta admit, the DG gun I do own is a 458 Lott that I love to play with and shoot occasionally simply for the fun of it but that level of recoil makes accurate shots more difficult. Most hunters can learn to easily handle a 375 in comparison.

Posts: 31 | Location: Eastern Kentucky  | Registered: 11 February 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who cares what some “celebrity hunter” thinks ( I will admit I generally like the guy)?

Make your choices and hunt YOUR hunt.

Some of you sure do get spoiled up by words.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1054 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah Mr Knowlton... The guy that likes to shoot running elephant in the backside at 150m with his 577 because according to him its perfectly ethical as he practices with that caliber more than any man on the planet.

Ride hard, shoot straight and speak the truth.

Posts: 85 | Location: RSA | Registered: 21 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who gives a damn what some self absorbed TV hero has to says? Nothing but a shill.

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rule 1, shoot an adequate cartridge that you shoot well;

Rule 2, a .416 will do anything a .375 will do and better, if you shoot it well.

Rule 3: a .375 or a .416 will kill anything that walks the earth.

Rule 4, refer back to Rule 1.

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish Finn Aagard were still around to comment here.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
It's his opinion and he is welcome to it. The gentleman certainly has plenty of experience and experience tends to color one's opinion. Maybe he has had a bad bout of luck with the cartridge. Doesn't make him wrong or right, just his viewpoint... other's experiences and opinions may differ. Personally it's one of my favorite cartridges, but I have had nothing but good luck with the different .375 variants.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]Ad hominem[quote]

I am not qualified to give an opinion on dangerous game rifles, but I do know the definition of "Ad Hominem" very well - having dealt with it for years and years.

Ad Hominem argument is considered a fallacy of shifting an argument from the point being discussed to the personality of the opponent in the discussion. Instead of dealing with the opponents thesis on it's merits, the fallacious argument attacks his/her reputation and moral character, or oftentimes refers to his low intelligence or similar personal shortcomings. Closely related is Argumentum ad Populum which is a similar argument to Ad hominem but more of an appeal to the masses, It is a very popular tactic used by politicians when they appeal to their potential voters (mases).

Instead of saying Jim Shockey is a stupid idiot one could better say "I disagree with Mr. Shockey's opinion that the .375 isn't adequate on dangerous game because my experience with my .375 H&H has been very good, I have taken cape buffalo, elephant, brown bear, etc. with my .375 with my own handloads without any trouble whatsoever, All have been one or two shot kills. Of course I pay great attention to bullet placement." - or whatever your particular experience might be?

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with John Taylor and a myriad of hunters who have used the .375 H&H.
Today we have even better bullets in the .375s for DG.
My pre-64 Model 70 in 375 has never failed to stop what I shot with it.
Warum nicht oder pachemu nyet?

Posts: 360 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
Such have been similar words spoken of the vaunted 9.3x62.

most of hunters and phs do not use it while not knowing it and saying high words about the 375. the late Don Heath will have said some highly words about the 9.3s and i have great discussions with him in what he continued to call salisbury ...

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Yeah, a .50 cal TC muzzleloader is such a better choice.

Great!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote