Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338-500 Jeffrey ? Login/Join

<Big50>
posted
Has this cartridge been built yet, thought I`d post this to the guys with the big cases. If so what are velocities running?

------------------
Brent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not get a 338 Lapua (338 x 416 rigby) which has good quality brass readily available and can be had in a nice accurate Sako TRG factory sniper rifle? It is a proven cartridge used by US special forces on some missions.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Brent,

I think for most of us who are going to dish out the $5 a case for 500J brass, we aren't going to neck it down to a medium bore! I am giving serious (well as serious as anyone can be about such a crazy idea) thought to a 458-500. I'd like to call it the 458 Alaskan Varminter, with a goal of 500 gr @ 3000 fps, should be possible with a long barrel.

Anyhow, I might actually be getting my 500 Jeffrey one of these days, your welcome to shoot it once I get some loads together.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If long range is what you are after, you might consider a .500 AHR case necked down to .375" and use some of Gerard's HV's with a long throat.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote