Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

458 Lott Reloading Dies Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to have my #1 rechambered to 458 Lott. My question is where to pick up a die set. I have found some brass at Huntington's. Thanks, Tom

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just ordered dies for my .470 Capstick from CH/4D (www.ch4d.com). The .458 Lott is in the same group (Group G), and they cost $84.

I was pleased with the knowledge Dave shared with me on necking up .375H&H brass (I ordered some tapered expander plugs so I can neck up in stages).

Hornady wanted $180 for the same dies.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Hey - Where do I find the info for necking up the 375 stuff.. Thanks MD

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
You can use RCBS .458 WinMag dies for the Lott and Watts. Shorten the sizer to 48 mm. Pushing the case through will result in a ghost shoulder. .416 RemMag brass you can open with the respective die.

------------------

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Ditto Norberts post, save the $ and get the RCBS win mag dies. If you neck up 416 brass, a few cases will have lopsided necks, but trust me, they will straighten out upon firing! If I build another 458 lott, I'll use the win mag dies again.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd get a set of Custom X dies made for the Lott so I didn't have to trim..I did that with my last 404 and it was a boone to my disposition...RCBS.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I didn't know that trimming brass had an effect on ones curmudgeoninity. ;-)

I agree that not having to trim the lott brass would certainly be a boon, seeting/crimping trimmed brass, then forgetting to trim and doing with the same setting resulted in a crumpled case or two. What I would highly recomend would be a lee factory crimp die, especially if one feels up to fooling with seating depth, and still crimp. If lee makes a factory crimp for the 458 winnie, all one needs is a .30" collar for the shell holder, I use something similar to use a 358 win crimper on the 35 whelen.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I use a undersize sizer button...I usually trim them to .003 or .004 undersize on the lathe and that gives a tight bullet fit..In the lot it actually creates a reverse shoulder that can be detected in good light..the bullets will not set back with a light crimp...

I do dislike the trimming of cases and intend to exchange all my dies for X dies as they become available..

Why? I have no idea, I could not shoot up all the ammo I have loaded in two lifetimes and I'm a bit over the hill already, at least according to some Aussies that lurk around here..(grin)and they ain't wrong, but I still feel like I'm 40...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41926 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
check out my answer that I put in the wrong place it's call it's called here is your answer or something like that.

Posts: 767 | Location: Phoenix, Az | Registered: 31 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Peter V>
posted
Hi TJC,

RCBS makes a 3 die set in 458 Lott - check out their latest catalogue or go to Graf and Sons http://www.grafs.com/ to order on-line.

I get unstamped brass from PMP in RSA, it's basically their 375 H&H brass taken off the production line before it get's necked down to 375 - case length is 72,5 mm and may need some trimming depending on your rifles chamber.

I just loaded up a 100 rounds using the above combo and am very happy with the end result - don't foget to add a decent crimp.

Regards

------------------

Peter
www.shafa.net
Shafa Safaris