Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got me thinking! Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know that nothing positive will probably come from this but the couple of posts that BMG has posted have gotten me thinking. Even if it meant a single shot bolt action is there any feasible way to get into a .600 Nitro with any kind of sane budget. ( I know that .600 & budget just don't seem to go together do they?) I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a simple solution but it has eluded me so far. I just refuse to let the .600 be relegated to the land of insanely priced doubles and single shots. While expensive brass and bullets are just a fact that is inevatable I hope that the gun portion could be a reality. Please tell me that there is a way that I am not seeing!!!

------------------
JR

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JR:
Hi JR,
Heym built a 600 bolt action repeater that for a 600 was reasonably priced. I don't know if they still make it or if they have a website but I'm sure you could source it. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a .600 Rimless Nitro Express. I had given it serious thought, even to sending a chamber drawing to my gunsmith. Frank Wells told me he would make it up, not including carving the stock for about $3,500.00. I would have to have provided the stock blank machine inletted, the chambered barrel and he would take it from there on a CZ or P-14 (or is it P-17?) action. So figure $5,000 delivered not including ammo. The cartridges are made by initially swaging/turning down .50BMG cases to get the base diameter. I am typing this off the top of my head, I have the info, if you really want it I can email the case drawing and ammo source.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I spoke with Gerald Quintel about his 600 rimless months ago. If I remember correctly, the rifle he built was a modified M98 mauser. It held one shot in the chamber and one in the magazine. He turned down the rim of 50BMG cases, ran them through a swager and then trimmed the length. I think you can count on spending $10 to $15 for empty cases. He said he would build another rifle for about $3500, but I was interested in a repeater.

Actually if Wells can put together a barreled action for $3500 that holds 2 or 3 down plus one in the tube, that is a good deal.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see the Ruger No.1 as an alternative that would be the best way to meet your needs...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I believe the #1 just doesn't have enough metal to allow one to make it into a 600 NE, and there is debate as to whether it should even be made into a 577.

I think the best bet would be to research the various 50 bmg single shot actions as a basis.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
jr:

I don't know if you or a good friend are a machinist or not, but Frank DeHass had plans for a single shot action that was relaively straight forward to machine. The way to go may be to build a simple single shot action from scratch at a scale suitable for the .600 NE.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose any of the forum members out there actually own a .600 of some sort? If so what kind, so I can drool!

------------------
JR

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
<jagtip>
posted
Dear JR...Under BIG BORES,go to Ground breaking development/Concealed carry power......May be just what you're looking for.

<jagtip>
posted
Follow up to JR...Some modifications might be needed but 4 shots,$695.00...How can you go wrong?????