Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Big Bore Barrel Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say I prefer the smaller rebated rim. It's kind of a long story how I got started on the path to the 500 Jeffrey, I was looking for a 50 barrel for a wildcat project, and somebody who was going to have a 500 Jeffrey built, but decided to go with a 500 AHR instead, so offered me the barrel blank and brass at a price I couldn't pass up. Also, my gunsmith was planning on building a 500 Jeffrey for himself and a few of his customers, so since he was going to have the reamer, seemed like the way to go.

I figure since a 50 isn't something you shoot all the time, I might as well add a classic element to it, not sure that having it chambered in 500J vs 500AHR will add any enjoyment to it, but thats how its ending up. I just may try to scrounge a second bolt and have it set up to use non-rebated brass.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Here's a picture of the barrel Bill Tompkins gave me. I put a quick coat of Brownells Oxpho blue on it to keep the fingerprints from rusting.

This is a closeup of the rib and lug area.

I had a long post that went into limbo. Bottom line is that I will probably sleep with it tonight!

Don

<Don G>
posted
The barrel is halfway across America by now, on it's way to Seatle and from there to John Ricks. As I was preparing to send the box I realized that Bill sent me the barrel and I'm sending John the barrel plus my M70 with two scopes and all the trimmings. Arizona, Ohio, Washington.

None of us has ever met each other, or even talked on the phone!

This is a great site!

Thank you Saeed, for letting us all play at your house!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
THAT IS ONE NICE BARREL, YOU WILL NEVER GET ANOTHER DEAL LIKE THAT YOU LUCKY STIFF......I'M GREEN WITH ENVY...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Ray,

You'd better believe I know that what you say is true. I feel like the fairy godmother reached out and touched me. I'm waiting for the troll under the bridge!

Like a kid at Christmas,
Don

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Don,
Definitely a sweet deal. Which cartridge are you going to chamber it for? Will you have a second 416 Remington for a two gun combo to back you up on anything in the world?

I think you ought to build it on a magnum Mauser. Save the engraving of the barrel until you are sure. You could convert a 416 Remington to a 416 Rigby if you start with the right action. Hint: CZ 550 or Dakota.
Frankly, I would rather have the CZ 550 than a Dakota. The CZ has integral scope mount bases and will save some dough, for use on your custom stock. Walnut or McMillan? I think McMillan's classic express style would be the best option. My 2 cents worth. Congratulations

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

<Don G>
posted
John Ricks is putting it on my M70 416 Rem, in 416 Rem. I'm happy with that case size for the 416.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,
The Troll is my man!, Heh! Heh! Heh! I have given him instuctions to delivery the gun from Ricks to a special place in the wilds of Idaho...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very nice, cannot wait to see the shooting results.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Originally posted in the wrong thread due to a near terminal Brain Fart!

Status Update: All the pieces of the Cutrifle Express made it to John Ricks OK. He's got some personal business to attend to, but once he gets lined out he's going to do a whole batch of .416s and compare 'em. Sounds interesting.
Stay tuned.

Ray,

Your trolls were asleep on the job. I hope they're drunk or sleeping it off when it comes back through Idaho!

Don

[This message has been edited by Don G (edited 07-25-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ernie is back from Australia, He had a great time. Gerry shot a book water buffalo, 175 Yard shot with a 375 HH. She put a finisher in the back of its head(solid). Ernie said when they loaded the head that the bullet fell out the nose and was bent 90%.tough critter.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I've been thinking more about the sights and furniture for the Cutrifle Express. I have just about decided on the following:

NECG Masterpiece front sight base, hood, tricky folding night sight front blade, NECG fixed two folding express rear. NECG Barrel band swivel.

Does anybody have any advice or warnings about the irons? I like an aperture for target shooting, but I thought I'd go more traditional in honor of this custom barrel.

Don