Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

McMillian or Rimrock? Login/Join

<J Brown>
posted
I would like help deciding weather to buy a Rimrock or McMillian stock for my Mauser 30-06. Both have features I like but I can't seem to give the edge to one over the other. McMillian is the easy answer as it is used by many top rifle builders but their four+ month ship time is too long. Truth is I am leaning toward a Rimrock. What do you all think?

Jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned neither but have handled both, most recently a used Rimrock I still kick myself for not buying. It was just flawless; stiff, clean, crisp lines and checkering that felt and looked like had cut on hard walnut. It is also around a half pound lighter which you may or may not desire. Check out their site ( www.bordenrifles.com) and you can see how it is constructed. Very slick and the one I would buy.

[This message has been edited by Ed (edited 08-30-2001).]

Posts: 354 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
If service makes any difference to you, go with the Rimrock. McMillan, in particular Kelly McMillan, is one of the worst people that I have ever delt with in ANY type of business. I am not alone. I'm sure that some others have had good dealings with them, but I bet it was when Gale was still alive. Kelly is running the show and ruining it at the same time.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
Either stock is an excellent choice. The McMillan has a broader choice of models, colors and finishes. The Rimrock gives you less choices but if it meets your criteria then by all means go for it. Keep in mind that when dealing with McMillan they are a family run business. Having worked for a family run corporation for the past 19yrs I can attest that "family ran" businesses are different. I will continue to do business with McMillan but if I experience negative customer service you can consider me a Rimrock convert!

sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I had a pair of Mark X actions built into (7 mm RM) rifles for my kids, using Rimrock stocks. Shooting maximum loads with 175 gr. Xs the perceived recoil is less than my 10 lb. laminate stocked .243 Win. My current project, a .330 Dakota on a NIB '57 Columbian FN action will have a Rimrock stock. I also have an older Brown Precision stock, and the Rimrocks are way ahead in exterior design and finish. Apparently, the guy that started Rimrock was either a partner or apprentice to Brown for some time, and eventually struck out on his own to advance his personal beliefs on the internal materials and design of synthetics.
The 7 mags have pre-Borden stocks, so I cannot say for sure that there are any changes. The cast off works well for all of us and the other design features are executed with perfection. You should know that there is no such thing as a drop-in for a Mauser, especially your barrel contour, so expect some work in that area. The material is hard as hell, so a milling machine is a better choice than traditional inletting tools. A few swipes and you'll need to resharpen the edge. On the other hand, Borden will fit your stock for a fee, probably less than it would cost you otherwise.
In discussions with another synthetic stock manufacturer, I was told that one goal of the upper level synthetics is recoil reduction through a strategy of using materials from the grip back that will flex almost imperceptibly. This clips the recoil peak and spreads the impulse over a longer period. More of a shove than a slap, just like a shock absorber. The materials from the grip forward are selected to maintain a stiff platform to mount your action. Materials are selected accordingly, and the designer needs to decide how much of each needs to be used in specific locations to accomplish these dissimilar performance issues. This is one area where the hand laid-up stocks excel over the injected offerings.
Rimrocks have a good looking and field functional checkering pattern, something missing in other stocks. For a .30-06 you could go as light as you want, consistent with the balance you want to achieve.

Posts: 63 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote